“Lovely meal”
Review of Golf Hotel

Golf Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Silloth
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We were staying at a local b&b and they recommended the Golf Hotel for us to eat in. We were cycling the Hadrian's Wall Cycleway and one of the reports from those who had ridden way this previously indicated that this was about the only place you could eat in Siloth.

The food was very good and a local real ale was on tap. Service was fine and staff friendly.

Great place to eat and drink.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank BrianTJ

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Genuinely this is the first time I have ever left a review of any hotels I have stayed in both here and abroad. However, this one did invoke a reaction. My comments here are totally honest and unbiased, I will tell it exactly as it is.

Arrived for a 2 night stay at Silloth, upon arriving at the hotel at around midday was told could not check in until 2pm. Fair enough, however, no offer to take our bags till then, luckily we were parked nearby so we put our bags back in the car. Myself and partner then decided to take in the delights of Silloth. We are both in thirties, and the general feel is that this type of stay would be suited a much older clientelle. However, we were optimistic and wanted to make the most of it. There was only one pub open in Silloth (we found another one open but it was not open that day!!), we found that to be the case with most places, nothing seemed to be open. A buzzing exciting place this aint, so make sure you manage your expectations if that is what you are looking for. Natwest Bank (only bank!!) open only Mon, Wed, Fri. Eating establishments are also hit and miss chip shops close at 2pm and open again at 4.30pm. Now, important to point out that we don't go away to eat fish and chips all the time, but the Golf Hotel is literally the only place to sit down and eat in the whole town of Silloth! The place is lacking in anything. Further proved my point as I logged onto my iphone and visited Lonely Planet to see places of interest in the surrounding area. The app came back with 'There are no places of interest' nearest restaurant/bars around 8 miles away...... really stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Ok so we discovered all this in time it took for our room to be ready at 2pm. Handed our keys to room and with very little by way of expectation went to our room. Upon entering I thought I'd entered a someone's granny's house, who was renting out her spare room (sorry if I offend any grannies). The wallpaper would possibly have looked modern back in the 60's, peeling off the walls and damp, the carpet tired, dirty looking and worn out. Bed was a basic double with a pink velvet headboard, dated furniture, old tired lampshade in the ceiling, no view whatsover. The place was depressing, dark and dingy. I asked my boyfriend to check out what the shower was like only to find there was no shower, just some murky grey dirty looking bath. There was no way I could have stayed in such scqualor for 2 whole nights, it was horrendous with absolutely no exaggeration.

Asked to speak to the manager, who was on the face of it friendly but his tone was somewhat condescending and patronising, showing me their 2 star status and saying I should have realised what I was coming to. When pointing out the lack of shower facilities he said I should have asked before booking if the room would have a shower; now please forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought in this modern age of the 21st century it would be something I could have taken for granted to have a shower in my room, especially as they typically charge £180 for a 2 night stay. Basically I had booked this as a 2 night discounted deal and he pointed in no uncertain times that I should be grateful for what I get as it was a discount. My experience of discounted deals is usually that you get same quality as normal but at a discount rate, however, maybe I have been spoilt in the past !!! Got shown a couple of other alternative twin bedded rooms (we wanted a double) found they were pretty much of the same standard. I asked if there were any other rooms at all, which they said they had none. I eventually got offered another room which was a superior room. Upon entering I thought I'd entered a different hotel, what a difference!!!!!! The room looked freshly painted, spacious, welcoming, sort of comparison you'd make between heaven and hell. The bathroom had a fantastic standalone shower cubicle, modern white toilet, washbasins, heated towel rails, simply beautiful, in a separate room was a beautiful large roll top bath. All the room was tiled with nice travertine tiles and looked modern, fresh and in keeping with the times. I was very happy with this room. It had a lovely view of Solway and would have receommended to anyone, if that had been all I had seen of this hotel.

As I mentioned before the only sit down place to eat in Silloth is the Golf Hotel, so we chose to do so. My partner and I had a wonderful 2 course meal. Hats off to the chef (although they only have a 3 star rating for food) I cannot see why. The food was tasty, generous and not badly priced. We also got a complimentary bottle of wine for dining in the restaurant. No complaints here whatsoever.

Sorry still more negatives though I'm afraid. Thursday night sleep, all night long hearing flour mill lorries driving along cobble streets (the flour mill is a stone throw away), kept awake most of the night as only single glazing available. Bed not very comfortable, mattresses hard. Friday morning 7.30am woken up by the sound of the window cleaner, this is quite disturbing as it could be quite a shock to wake up to see a man up a ladder with a chamois glaring in at you at that time of the morning.

So all in all, made the best of the situation, we were happy that the manager was helpful in giving us an acceptable standard of room, the meals/drinks in bar were excellent. Bar staff, restaurant staff, lovely, friendly and a credit to the place. However, I really am struggling to see why anyone would repeat the visit unless you are a keen golfer, (I am told the local golf course is great) or if wanted to get away from civilisation for a couple of days and feel like you were back in the 60's or some bygone era.

Make sure you really research this place before visiting or you may like myself and partner be gravely disappointed :(

Room Tip: Unless you fancy slumming it try to book a superior room, else you will be disappointed
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sam M
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We again visited Silloth for their annual Charter Dinner - dinner excellent - very good meal and the staff could not do enough to make it a really successful evening. This is an annual event and I have visited for years and as usual we had an enjoyable and really pleasant stay. Looking forward to next years Charter Dinner in Golf Hotel Silloth.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We had the pleasure of using the Golf Hotel for a formal dinner for 67 guests on Friday 20th January, and we were very impressed with the standard of food and service from start to finish. I only attended the function and did not actually stay in the hotel so I cannot express an opinion regarding the standard of accommodation. My rating is therefore based only on the formal dinner which really was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We visited for a meal, and didn't use the accommodation.

We were part of a group of 14 people, who had preordered our meal choices.

The food was fine, nothing special, but certainly a decent meal. Portions were good, food quality good, and the value was ok too.

As we were a large group, we were put in a separate room away from the restaurant which was a nice touch. Though the restaurant looked very nice too.

The only drawback was the service - by the time the last starter was served, the first served had finished theirs........and this was repeated for the main course too - a little disappointing, bearing in mind that the food had been pre ordered, and we even had place settings, denoting who had ordered what.

It was a niggle, but in the context of things we had a very good night, and the food was enjoyable too.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silloth
0.0 km away
29.3 km away
The Halston Aparthotel
The Halston Aparthotel
#1 of 20 in Carlisle

Been to Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!