“A healthy Oasis in Sumui! Also, great Sourdough bread! (Ignore previous review)”

Greenlight Cafe & Bar Koh Samui
Ranked #24 of 456 Restaurants in Bophut
Price range: USD 2 - USD 18
Description: THE GREENLIGHT CAFE & BAR CONCEPT The Greenlight Cafe & Bar in Fisherman's Village is an unique and comfortable dining experience. Our menu features a variety of hearty choices for health-conscious eaters. We offer vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free meals in addition to more meaty and traditional options. Nearly all of our ingredients are locally sourced and organic. Many of them come straight from our very own garden! Ask one of our staff members for a garden tour when you stop by. At Greenlight we strive to provide a cozy and forward-thinking space where locals and tourists alike can gather, relax, and share ideas. Community is our passion and we look forward to welcoming you. OPENING HOURS From 8:00am - 11:00am we offer a delicious breakfast buffet for THB 300, as well as a limited selection of la carte choices. From 11:00am our complete menu is available until we close the kitchen at 22:00pm. LOCATION & CONTACT The Greenlight Cafe is located in front of Elysia Boutique Resort on the east end of Fisherman's Village in Bophut, the island's hub for trendy see-and-be-seen eateries. OUR ADDRESS 3/28 Moo 1 Fisherman's Village, Bophut, Koh Samui, Surat Thani, Thailand 84320
Reviewed 18 November 2016

I enjoy eating healthily and I find it hard to do this if you want to eat out but Greenlight only use natural ingredients and no bad oils, iodized salt or any other rubbish which is rare in most restaurants but especially in Thailand. Even the falafels are baked and not deep fried. This is why I feel I can eat here often.

I've been staying in Samui for around 3 months and have eaten here on average 3 or 4 times each week! That should tell you what I think. I wanted to write a review for a while but had not gotten round to it but became motivated by being at the cafe when a couple complained about the bread! It was an unfair complaint.

I was sitting at the bar when the couple below complained about the sourdough having mould on it (review below). The Manager was understandably annoyed after they left and gave me some to taste. It was fine. A little bit dry as that batch had been frozen as it's low season this month and v quiet on the island but obviously no mould as it had been frozen. Fresh batch now made and it is being served fresh and unfrozen.

Whilst I feel that tripadvisor is a great site by empowering customers it also leaves things open to abuse with people who have either misjudged a situation or are looking for a discount. The guy who complained about his partners sandwich had eaten all of his but still complained on tripadvisor that he felt he should not have been charged! This shows the type of customers that businesses have to put up with! Complain before you eat something if you want to be taken seriously!

I love the Greenlight cafe for food but also socialise here.....I've tried salsa (dancing not food!) for the first time and did an 8 week course.

Kevin N, Public Relations Manager at Greenlight Cafe & Bar Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2016

Thank you so much Rob for your long and detailed review. We really appreciate that a lot.

There are newer reviews for Greenlight Cafe & Bar Koh Samui

Reviewed 17 November 2016

Want a good cappuccino in Samui? Don't miss the Greenlight Cafe on the Eastern end of Fisherman's Village. The smell of freshly roasted coffee drives passers-by crazy... They serve locally prepared, pure health drinks, freshly squezed juices, fine vegetarian meals all day (including breakfast) made from owner Pat's own backyard organic herb garden.... Take a book off the shelf, read and enjoy nice music. Just perfect.

Thanks a lot for your detailed review.

Reviewed 12 November 2016

Me and my girlfriend decided to take a break from the thai street food and wanted something wholesome and came across this place through Tripadvisor. The place looks really nice and the menu looks great. Both of us ordered a sour dough sandwich and when we got it , it looked very appetising. We noticed the bread was on the drier side but the sandwich looked pretty good so it didn't bother us at first. I was really hungry so I ate mine pretty fast. But when I was about to take my last bite, I noticed that the bread on my girlfriends sandwich was moldy.

When we notified the staff, first they told us it wasn't mould but it was a spot caused by the avacado?? Believe me, I know a moldy bread when I see one! We were not charged for that sandwich but they never said sorry, and we also had to pay for the other sandwich which I had already eaten (from the same bread). They took the sandwich away instantly so we could not demonstrate what we were saying. When we were leaving the staff now said that the sandwich had not been molded it was "just homemade bread". We were not sure what that was supposed to mean.

We certainly lost our appetite and instead of taking responsibility they made us feel like we were lying. We will not go back.

1  Thank Arsaell I
Kevin N, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Greenlight Cafe & Bar Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2016

Dear Sir/ Madam,

First, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. Our apologies that you did not enjoy your dining experience at Greenlight Cafe. As for your complain please let us take this chance to explain some points from your feedback.

1) Sourdough bread being moldy.
After the staff had taken the bread to the kitchen, we have checked it several times and find that the bread is not moldy. But for a second opinion, we have asked a customer to check the bread one more time in case we are mistaken and his opinion is that, the bread, although a little dry is definitely not moldy.

2) The bread being homemade.
Not all sourdough breads are the same. We order our bread from a very nice Czech lady who is very passionate about her family's health that is why her and her husband decided to bake their own bread at home since they cannot get the right sourdough bread here on Koh Samui. She is vey conscious on how the bread is prepared and baked. She assured us that their bread is not that easy to get moldy because the sourness in the dough prevents the mold to grow, unless of course the bread is left outside in the moist and of course if it is too old. Having said that, we are not trying to make excuses for your unhappiness with the meal that you have been served. We have advised the kitchen staff, to only take the amount of bread they need for the day and leave the rest in the deep freezer. They are also told to check each and every food, including the bread before serving it to the customer.
Again, thank you for your feedback. We, at Greenlight Cafe and Bar, take all feedbacks, positive or negative to heart and find ways to improve so that we can offer our customers a satisfying dining experience.

Reviewed 6 November 2016

I have been vegetarian for years and always looking for veggy meals -this is one of the best restaurant which I found. So I have been here for three times, even my stay was short time period (only 3 nights) :-)

Variety of meals from western style, Asian taste, and light to full-meal.
"Zucchini pasta noodle" with plenty of vegetable and Miso taste dressing. After I go back to my home, tried to make it -but cannot make such a tasty dish. <<So I need to back to Koh Samui>>

You may feel the price range is bit higher, if you have been travelling SE-Asia. But once you see the fresh and healthy veggy, you will know the reason.

Owners and staff are very nice -smiling, peaceful -I found the reason why I love this restaurant (they definitely are source of positive/nice/peaceful atmosphere).

Kevin N, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Greenlight Cafe & Bar Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2016

Thank you so much for your amazing review. :)

Reviewed 4 November 2016

Very run of the mill western-style, Californian, 'it's raw/organic so it must be good for you' style place. But the food was disappointing. Flavours lacked depth. Sweet potato 'noodle' soup tasted of nothing but cumin and celery - very watery. Beetroot carpaccio was better. Spicy chicken bowl was ok but the same thing from a local food stall would have been twice as tasty and half the price. You might feel virtuous after you've eaten there but your taste-buds won't be singing which is a bit ridiculous for Thailand...

2  Thank PF2UK
Kevin N, Guest Relations Manager at Greenlight Cafe & Bar Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2016

Dear sir or madam,

first of all thanks a lot for your honest review. We are sorry to hear that we couldn't offer you the expected dining experience. We always work hard to improve the quality of our food and service. We will check those 2 dishes again and change them if needed.

Best regards :)