“Excellent Choice For Your Next Trip To Koh Samui”

Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent Choice For Your Next Trip To Koh Samui”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I cannot say enough how wonderful this hotel is. The staff are genuine and so great with kids. We were always greeted with a smile! The hotel is built around some lovely gardens and grounds. My son loved the ponds filled with fish...the staff would let him feed them each evening which he just was ecstatic about!

The rooms are clean and have a comfy bed. They were a little smaller than I thought they would be but we only booked a Garden Villa (as the Beach Villas were booked). But really when you are in a great location like this you do not spend much time in your villa....so it was not anything we were concerned about. The bathrooms are nice as well though ours had a little problem with mosquitoes....but when you are in a tropical place you have to expect this is a normal thing. They put coils in the bathrooms so they are only an issue in the mornings when the coils have stopped for a while. The rooms also have a great daybed to relax and read on....I was on there often enjoy the peace of this hotel. I would stay here again definitely! I also stayed in the Le Meridien on this trip and I have to say I am not sure which I would prefer as I enjoyed them both.

The restaurant is just brilliant. Every dish was incredible. You have to try the Lemongrass Creme Brulee...it was so good we kept getting seconds! The set menu for the Thai meals are so good you will eat them everyday! I agree with this restaurant being rated as one of the best on the island....it is amazing!

One last note...the massages are also some of the best I have ever had. I had one everyday because they were so amazing. I would have paid top dollar for them to massage me all day it was so nice and relaxing! Be sure to try these as they are not to be missed!

This hotel is within walking distance to Fisherman's Village. We walked there everyday as it is an enjoyable walk in the evenings. I will write some reviews for some of the places to eat as this location is great for evenings/nights.

Overall this hotel was fabulous and I would go anytime!

Room Tip: Stay in a beach villa if you can as they have a great view and are bigger!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank vs2008vs
Alex-Andries, Manager at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Valued Guests

Thank you for your review and I’m glad to read that you enjoyed your holidays with us.
Thank you for choosing Zazen as a place for your holidays and we look forward to welcoming you back with us again soon.

The Zazen Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

From the moment we arrived , until we left, the staff were fantastic. The food in the restaurant was amazing. We tried different dishes each day, each one as good as the last. We stayed in a beach bungalow, which although small was very comfortable and in an ideal position (room 5) Loved the resort and will definately go back some day. Thank you for a wonderfull experience, and a very relaxing time.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karen M

Paris, France
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Our stay to Zazen was magical, the perfect place to relax, enjoy and eat good food (the breakfast in just fantastic!). The restaurant is excellent and has a stunning view on the sea. The staff will make everything they can to make you feel happy. Even if it doesn't look "child friendly" but more romantic place, our children were welcome and felt immediatly comfortable. They had fun feeding the fish, playing in the (amazing) garden or on the beach. We loved the decoration of the room, the bathroom and every little details that make a difference.
The beach is definitely not the best in Thailand (the sea is not so clear) but this was not really annoying. We didn't try the spa but the massage on the beach were really good and far cheaper.
We look forward to our next stay there!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I had quite a mixed 4 night stay...and I would have erred on the positive side with a 'very good' rating had it not been for the situation I experienced at check-out. First, the 'good':
-Overall pretty resort in beautiful gardens and on pleasant beach (looked far better than hotels near by and definitely had a boutique feel)
-Service on the whole friendly (nice that at beach they cleaned your lounger / towel and came around with fruit and water once or twice a day)
-Good but not 'wow' breakfast and set on pretty terrace overlooking beach
-Great pool drinks (smoothies etc)
Now the 'bad'
-Not the friendliest car pick-up and they tried to charge me a higher rate than the one quoted and I had to show them the email quote.
-When luggage was taken to room it was just left in middle of villa - no attempt to place it somewhere / set it down.
-Room while nice, is starting to show some signs of being dated and water pressure in show is terrible
-Very little privacy in villas and you are rather exposed
-Room service club sandwich - not very good
-You are given coupons for breakfast. I have not stayed in a high-end hotel / resort that does that these days - I felt like I was in some all-inclusive 2 star place!
-The theme of constantly behaving like your guests are going to 'steal' things continued with a list of room items listed with a charge to purchase them (really just a polite way of saying what you will be charged if any of these things go missing!). Really not something you see in a place that presents itself as so high-end and exclusive.
-And finally, the thing that made me hate the place and leave on a bad note was check-out. The bell boy literally chased me down to reception to inform reception that the empty laundry bag was missing and I was asked if I had taken it. I usually always use these bags for dirty laundry to take home and said I had it. I was then told I had to return it or pay 1500 THB for it. So at 4am I took apart my bag and gave them back their laundry bag (what could that have cost them - 50c even $1 max?). Now I stay at good hotels all over the world all the time on business and pleasure. I have never been asked to return the laundry bags that are in the rooms (and it did not appear on the list of items you will be charged for in the room). I am not a partcularly negative person (you can see my other reviews and I am not a constant complainer / person who is never satisfied). But this utter lack of service and frankly rude behaviour left me in such a bad mood that it spoiled all the positives I had experienced. Really, I was made to feel like I had stolen something. NEVER have I been charged for a stupid laundry bag. If Zazen wants to present itself as a special / exclusive place, then it should start acting like one!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
26 Thank dsbali
Alex-Andries, Manager at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay and all the positives on the staffs and our services.

My apologies for the other incidents you seemed to have had during your stay. This is not what we would expect our guests to have experienced, nor the norm as you can read in other reviews. We take this matter seriously and we’ll have a look into the details of your feedback.

Concerning your comments regarding our laundry bag, please note that all rooms and villas at the resort have 2 sets of laundry bag. One especially embroidered linen laundry bag to be use in-house and one Zazen plastic laundry bag made in a very good quality that you can take back home at no extra cost for your used clothing. All the linen bags that are especially embroidered for Zazen has a clear note attached to it specifying that the laundry bag is for sale at our boutique shop and you may purchase them if you wish to take one back home. As you may know, services on the island is more expensive compared to the mainland as everything is being transported. These laundry bags, made from linen is made from the north and especially embroidered for Zazen with a nice hand-embedded logo on it. Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa has been operating for many years and we understand that from time to time, guests may pack used clothes in their suitcase that is why we provide an additional plastic bag made especially for Zazen with a logo that you can take without an extra cost.

Kind Regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 9 January 2012

For a long time I was attracted to find out the difference between a regular and a boutique hotel. At the end of last year, the opportunity came to travel to Koh Samui, Thailand, where my husband and I spent eight magical days at the Zazen Boutique Resort and Spa. To my surprise, there was a world class restaurant, led by a German chef who prepared an excellent dinner for the end-of-year celebrations. The staff was always attentive of the guests’ needs. Its surroundings provide tranquility with beauty and color for comfortable and relaxing stays. Whether you stay in a garden villa or beachfront bungalow, they both have latest entertainment systems to enjoy.

Room Tip: I prefer a garden villa, it has more privacy.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NansiL
Dear Valued Guests

Thank you for writing about your experience at Zazen and we look forward to welcoming you again with us soon.

The Zazen Management Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
0.7 km away
13.0 km away
Rocky's Boutique Resort
Rocky's Boutique Resort
#2 of 50 in Lamai Beach

Been to Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!