New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

and up
Kuranda Scenic Railway Day Trip from Cairns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover where Australia begins at Tjapukai. Explore the rich history of the world's oldest living cultural experience with performance, dance, food and the arts. By Day, learn how to throw a boomerang, gain an understanding into bush foods and hunting techniques. See live performances from the world famous Tjapukai Dance Troupe and the Torres Strait Island Dancers. Enhance you day at Tjapukai with a guided Bush Food Trail through the parklands and sample native jams or create your own souvenirs with our Cultural Creations package. By Night, be immersed in the mystical stories of the dreamtime and be included in a Fire Ceremony with Buffet Dinner and a spectacular Dance Show. However you choose to enjoy it, a visit to Tjapukai is the perfect way to gain a deeper understanding of Australia's diverse Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander heritage.
Nelson, New Zealand
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Very interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 week ago

We had a great night, learnt a bit about the Aboriginal heritage, watched the dancing, fire making then topped it off with a nice buffet meal

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We arrived on Sunday morning to find a large group of students already in the reception area. They were having great fun being decorated for the tour ahead.

We, and others in our group, had to wait (and wait) then another presenter was persuaded to take us. We missed out on the initial introduction and went to the boomerang and spear throwing areas. The setting is beautiful. I felt our guide was disinterested. Whilst we had turns there was very little encouragement or enthusiasm from him.

At this stage all visitors were shepherded into an auditorium for creation stories. The radio mics were either not working or ineffective. It could have been so much better. We then went to another area where the presenters showed fire making, song and dance and we were able to participate briefly. There was slightly more atmosphere to this event. The bush food and medicines demonstration was mind numbingly boring. We just handed round leaves and nuts. It felt like primary school show and tell. Moving on again we had a didgeridoo demonstration which was interesting though there was no offer of participation.

At this stage any semblance of order vanished. Our guide had vanished and we waited whilst others went to the boomerang and spear workshop that we had done earlier. We were told he would come back. He never did. It was suggested we went to the shop and the visit was over. However our group was also booked for lunch.

Lunch was very good and varied. Drinks from the bar were extra. People started to drift away and, as we were finishing, the presenters arrived and took to the stage saying we could take photos. I'm sure this should have been happening whilst we were eating.

I wanted to like this. I went away feeling .. nothingness. I use the word presenters as whilst I accept the heritage of the participants they felt more like performers and the sort who go from school to school to undertake workshops. Maybe we were unlucky. The many positive reviews suggest so.

Visited September 2016
, General Manager at Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Phillip,

I am very concerned to read your recent review and would like the opportunity to discuss your visit with you. Please feel free to make contact at Tjapukai or via my email bryce.madgwick@tjapukai.com.au so that I can gather further details about your visit.

We do take pride in being one of the largest indigenous employers and currently have close to sixty of our seventy five staff identifying that way. We are very proud of our heritage and want to ensure all guest's get to benefit from the knowledge and passion that our staff bring every day.

We welcome all feedback and acknowledge that mistakes can occur from time to time. Your experience however is not consistent with our usual high standards and we want to work quickly to understand how we can respond and take any action required.

I hope we can discuss this further at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards

Bryce Madgwick
Sydney, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great way to spend the evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I did the night tour which included dinner. The Aboriginal performers were very good. The crowd were included to join in which made it fun. The dinner was nice and included Crocodile which I thought was delicious. Nice photo opportunity at the end with the performers which unlike other places did not cost extra. The gift shop had some lovely items which were quite well priced. I had a great time and would recommend this to others.

Worcester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Entertaining and informative ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I took my 5 year old as I wanted him to learn a bit about aboriginal culture during our holiday. Everyone was so friendly and the different performances and experiences were a good length for him and entertaining for me. Had a great time and came away feeling we had learned a bit more about the Aborigine people.

Visited November 2016
“Good for the kids, but a bit expensive.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Educational and fun things to do for the kids. Very slick video presentation. Worth a visit. Wasn't very busy when we went.