New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

and up
Kuranda Scenic Railway Day Trip from Cairns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover where Australia begins at Tjapukai. Explore the rich history of the world's oldest living cultural experience with performance, dance, food and the arts. By Day, learn how to throw a boomerang, gain an understanding into bush foods and hunting techniques. See live performances from the world famous Tjapukai Dance Troupe and the Torres Strait Island Dancers. Enhance you day at Tjapukai with a guided Bush Food Trail through the parklands and sample native jams or create your own souvenirs with our Cultural Creations package. By Night, be immersed in the mystical stories of the dreamtime and be included in a Fire Ceremony with Buffet Dinner and a spectacular Dance Show. However you choose to enjoy it, a visit to Tjapukai is the perfect way to gain a deeper understanding of Australia's diverse Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander heritage.
Sydney, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great way to spend the evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I did the night tour which included dinner. The Aboriginal performers were very good. The crowd were included to join in which made it fun. The dinner was nice and included Crocodile which I thought was delicious. Nice photo opportunity at the end with the performers which unlike other places did not cost extra. The gift shop had some lovely items which were quite well priced. I had a great time and would recommend this to others.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Entertaining and informative ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I took my 5 year old as I wanted him to learn a bit about aboriginal culture during our holiday. Everyone was so friendly and the different performances and experiences were a good length for him and entertaining for me. Had a great time and came away feeling we had learned a bit more about the Aborigine people.

Visited November 2016
“Good for the kids, but a bit expensive.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Educational and fun things to do for the kids. Very slick video presentation. Worth a visit. Wasn't very busy when we went.

Tallahassee
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Save your money - don't do it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There were 5 performers for our evening and I seriously doubt that ANY of them are full-blooded aborigines! In fact, I have doubts that any of them have any aborigine background.

Their show was well choreographed and entertaining but seemed to have very little to do with the thousands-of-years history of the aborigine people.

The "delicious" buffet dinner was not good - definitely worth the money. And speaking of money - bring some money. If you want anything to drink with dinner it costs extra.

We got off to a bad start when I asked for a refill for my "welcome glass of bubbly" and was told "only one per person". Wow - US$ 150 and they couldn't spring for an additional glass of sparkling wine!

We would definitely recommend NOT going to this attraction. We can't believe that anyone has actually given this 5 stars and has recommended it!

Montreal, Canada
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A must see if Australian Aboriginal culture is interesting to you”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I visited this aboriginal cultural park with the Tjapukai Full Day Experience Package. It was somewhat expansive, but definitely worth it. (Definitely more than the Skyrail, for example.) There were a few irritating aspects, like the lack of organisation for people with packages bigger than the general admission. I think I was the only guest with the Full Day Experience on that day, and I was sort of left drifting through the park and trying to figure out what to do next rather than have someone who pointed me towards what I should do next to have a full day. It seems when you are not in a big group, you sort of get through the cracks and they forget about you (a family of four on the same day as me had the same problem). Nevertheless, I had great fun. I learned tons on the aboriginal culture and practices: throwing a boomerang and spears, the dances, foods you can find in the nature, weapons used by aboriginal communities, play the didgeridoo, etc. The guided bush food trail was a great occasion to speak one on one with an aboriginal and learn more about their struggles nowadays. The food at lunch was a buffet, which was okay but not great either (in fact, I've never had any great buffet in Australia). However, the native fruit jams, homemade damper and billy tea that they feed you after the bush food trail were so delicious. Personally I think they could drop the traditional jewelry part, because to be honest, putting plastic beads on a wire doesn't do much for me: I could do that at home. That's the only part I found boring. Otherwise, the site is beautiful and fun to walk, and the staff was very kind and helpful (although they could have been more present to guide us). I learned a lot on this day, and I would definitely recommend it.

Visited September 2016