New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

and up
Kuranda Scenic Railway Day Trip from Cairns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover where Australia begins at Tjapukai. Explore the rich history of the world's oldest living cultural experience with performance, dance, food and the arts. By Day, learn how to throw a boomerang, gain an understanding into bush foods and hunting techniques. See live performances from the world famous Tjapukai Dance Troupe and the Torres Strait Island Dancers. Enhance you day at Tjapukai with a guided Bush Food Trail through the parklands and sample native jams or create your own souvenirs with our Cultural Creations package. By Night, be immersed in the mystical stories of the dreamtime and be included in a Fire Ceremony with Buffet Dinner and a spectacular Dance Show. However you choose to enjoy it, a visit to Tjapukai is the perfect way to gain a deeper understanding of Australia's diverse Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander heritage.
“Good for the kids, but a bit expensive.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Educational and fun things to do for the kids. Very slick video presentation. Worth a visit. Wasn't very busy when we went.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Tallahassee
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Save your money - don't do it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There were 5 performers for our evening and I seriously doubt that ANY of them are full-blooded aborigines! In fact, I have doubts that any of them have any aborigine background.

Their show was well choreographed and entertaining but seemed to have very little to do with the thousands-of-years history of the aborigine people.

The "delicious" buffet dinner was not good - definitely worth the money. And speaking of money - bring some money. If you want anything to drink with dinner it costs extra.

We got off to a bad start when I asked for a refill for my "welcome glass of bubbly" and was told "only one per person". Wow - US$ 150 and they couldn't spring for an additional glass of sparkling wine!

We would definitely recommend NOT going to this attraction. We can't believe that anyone has actually given this 5 stars and has recommended it!

Montreal, Canada
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A must see if Australian Aboriginal culture is interesting to you”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I visited this aboriginal cultural park with the Tjapukai Full Day Experience Package. It was somewhat expansive, but definitely worth it. (Definitely more than the Skyrail, for example.) There were a few irritating aspects, like the lack of organisation for people with packages bigger than the general admission. I think I was the only guest with the Full Day Experience on that day, and I was sort of left drifting through the park and trying to figure out what to do next rather than have someone who pointed me towards what I should do next to have a full day. It seems when you are not in a big group, you sort of get through the cracks and they forget about you (a family of four on the same day as me had the same problem). Nevertheless, I had great fun. I learned tons on the aboriginal culture and practices: throwing a boomerang and spears, the dances, foods you can find in the nature, weapons used by aboriginal communities, play the didgeridoo, etc. The guided bush food trail was a great occasion to speak one on one with an aboriginal and learn more about their struggles nowadays. The food at lunch was a buffet, which was okay but not great either (in fact, I've never had any great buffet in Australia). However, the native fruit jams, homemade damper and billy tea that they feed you after the bush food trail were so delicious. Personally I think they could drop the traditional jewelry part, because to be honest, putting plastic beads on a wire doesn't do much for me: I could do that at home. That's the only part I found boring. Otherwise, the site is beautiful and fun to walk, and the staff was very kind and helpful (although they could have been more present to guide us). I learned a lot on this day, and I would definitely recommend it.

Visited September 2016
Hilton Head, South Carolina
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A wonderful cultural experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We got there midday, and after a quick lunch, we went for the meat pies, instead of the buffet lunch, we started with the history. Important and informative, the native Aborigines were passionate about sharing their stories. We enjoyed all the areas; weapons, foods and medicines, dance, didgeridoo demonstrations, fire-making, and we even tried to throw spears and boomerangs!!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Brilliant place to visit ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited this as part of the Kuranda all inclusive tour. We started off in the Centre and the staff and indigenous people we met were very friendly and informative. We spent a morning there during which time we watched a state of the art performance in the little theatre then watched some tribal dancing which we interacted in then we tried our hand at spear and boomerang throwing. We had a great time and it was an unforgettable morning during which time we learnt about the culture of the Tjapukai and how proud and resilient they are.