“Save your money - don't do it!”

Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park
USD 94.91*
Aboriginal Cultural Tjapukai by Night Tour including Buffet Dinner
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover where Australia begins at Tjapukai. Explore the rich history of the world's oldest living cultural experience with performance, dance, food and the arts. By Day, learn how to throw a boomerang, gain an understanding into bush foods and hunting techniques. See live performances from the world famous Tjapukai Dance Troupe and the Torres Strait Island Dancers. Enhance you day at Tjapukai with a guided Bush Food Trail through the parklands and sample native jams or create your own souvenirs with our Cultural Creations package. By Night, be immersed in the mystical stories of the dreamtime and be included in a Fire Ceremony with Buffet Dinner and a spectacular Dance Show. However you choose to enjoy it, a visit to Tjapukai is the perfect way to gain a deeper understanding of Australia's diverse Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander heritage.
Reviewed 8 November 2016

There were 5 performers for our evening and I seriously doubt that ANY of them are full-blooded aborigines! In fact, I have doubts that any of them have any aborigine background.

Their show was well choreographed and entertaining but seemed to have very little to do with the thousands-of-years history of the aborigine people.

The "delicious" buffet dinner was not good - definitely worth the money. And speaking of money - bring some money. If you want anything to drink with dinner it costs extra.

We got off to a bad start when I asked for a refill for my "welcome glass of bubbly" and was told "only one per person". Wow - US$ 150 and they couldn't spring for an additional glass of sparkling wine!

We would definitely recommend NOT going to this attraction. We can't believe that anyone has actually given this 5 stars and has recommended it!

2  Thank TLHTooter

Reviewed 7 November 2016

I visited this aboriginal cultural park with the Tjapukai Full Day Experience Package. It was somewhat expansive, but definitely worth it. (Definitely more than the Skyrail, for example.) There were a few irritating aspects, like the lack of organisation for people with packages bigger than the general admission. I think I was the only guest with the Full Day Experience on that day, and I was sort of left drifting through the park and trying to figure out what to do next rather than have someone who pointed me towards what I should do next to have a full day. It seems when you are not in a big group, you sort of get through the cracks and they forget about you (a family of four on the same day as me had the same problem). Nevertheless, I had great fun. I learned tons on the aboriginal culture and practices: throwing a boomerang and spears, the dances, foods you can find in the nature, weapons used by aboriginal communities, play the didgeridoo, etc. The guided bush food trail was a great occasion to speak one on one with an aboriginal and learn more about their struggles nowadays. The food at lunch was a buffet, which was okay but not great either (in fact, I've never had any great buffet in Australia). However, the native fruit jams, homemade damper and billy tea that they feed you after the bush food trail were so delicious. Personally I think they could drop the traditional jewelry part, because to be honest, putting plastic beads on a wire doesn't do much for me: I could do that at home. That's the only part I found boring. Otherwise, the site is beautiful and fun to walk, and the staff was very kind and helpful (although they could have been more present to guide us). I learned a lot on this day, and I would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed 4 November 2016 via mobile

We got there midday, and after a quick lunch, we went for the meat pies, instead of the buffet lunch, we started with the history. Important and informative, the native Aborigines were passionate about sharing their stories. We enjoyed all the areas; weapons, foods and medicines, dance, didgeridoo demonstrations, fire-making, and we even tried to throw spears and boomerangs!!

Reviewed 3 November 2016 via mobile

We visited this as part of the Kuranda all inclusive tour. We started off in the Centre and the staff and indigenous people we met were very friendly and informative. We spent a morning there during which time we watched a state of the art performance in the little theatre then watched some tribal dancing which we interacted in then we tried our hand at spear and boomerang throwing. We had a great time and it was an unforgettable morning during which time we learnt about the culture of the Tjapukai and how proud and resilient they are.

Reviewed 29 October 2016

Although it says this is one of the largest aboriginal employers and that much money goes back to them and the community, all front desk and store staff at the time we visited were Asian which made me wonder about the above stated claim.

Extremely basic information was shared and it felt like a cattle call (mooooo), everyone being herded this way and that.

During the main attraction (the dance and fire making show) many people would stand up to take pictures completely blocking our view of the show. People would also shove you around to be first in line. It was demeaning and insulting.

Guides need to do a better job of keeping that type of behavior down.

We have studied primitive technology and some of what was said was simply wrong - probably just for sensationalism but wrong nevertheless.

The artwork in the lobby has no information (name of artist, etc.) When I asked a guide about that they simply told me management didn't care.

For the exaggerated price, I'll buy a book to help me understand their culture better and I can read it in comfort and not risk being trampled over by some desperate tourist.

Management response:Responded 1 November 2016

Dear Mike,

I am very concerned to read your recent review and would like the opportunity to discuss your visit with you. Please feel free to make contact at Tjapukai or via my email bryce.madgwick@tjapukai.com.au so that I can gather further details about your visit.

We do take pride in being one of the largest indigenous employers and currently have close to sixty of our seventy five staff identifying that way. We are very proud of our heritage and want to ensure all guest's get to benefit from the knowledge and passion that our staff bring every day.

We welcome all feedback and acknowledge that mistakes can occur from time to time. Your experience however is not consistent with our usual high standards and we want to work quickly to understand how we can respond and take any action required.

I hope we can discuss this further at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards