“A wonderful cultural experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Kuranda Scenic Railway Day Trip from Cairns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover where Australia begins at Tjapukai. Explore the rich history of the world's oldest living cultural experience with performance, dance, food and the arts. By Day, learn how to throw a boomerang, gain an understanding into bush foods and hunting techniques. See live performances from the world famous Tjapukai Dance Troupe and the Torres Strait Island Dancers. Enhance you day at Tjapukai with a guided Bush Food Trail through the parklands and sample native jams or create your own souvenirs with our Cultural Creations package. By Night, be immersed in the mystical stories of the dreamtime and be included in a Fire Ceremony with Buffet Dinner and a spectacular Dance Show. However you choose to enjoy it, a visit to Tjapukai is the perfect way to gain a deeper understanding of Australia's diverse Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander heritage.
Hilton Head, South Carolina
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A wonderful cultural experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We got there midday, and after a quick lunch, we went for the meat pies, instead of the buffet lunch, we started with the history. Important and informative, the native Aborigines were passionate about sharing their stories. We enjoyed all the areas; weapons, foods and medicines, dance, didgeridoo demonstrations, fire-making, and we even tried to throw spears and boomerangs!!

Visited November 2016

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Brilliant place to visit ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited this as part of the Kuranda all inclusive tour. We started off in the Centre and the staff and indigenous people we met were very friendly and informative. We spent a morning there during which time we watched a state of the art performance in the little theatre then watched some tribal dancing which we interacted in then we tried our hand at spear and boomerang throwing. We had a great time and it was an unforgettable morning during which time we learnt about the culture of the Tjapukai and how proud and resilient they are.

Visited November 2016
Canada
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Loved the idea but the reality was something completely different”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Although it says this is one of the largest aboriginal employers and that much money goes back to them and the community, all front desk and store staff at the time we visited were Asian which made me wonder about the above stated claim.

Extremely basic information was shared and it felt like a cattle call (mooooo), everyone being herded this way and that.

During the main attraction (the dance and fire making show) many people would stand up to take pictures completely blocking our view of the show. People would also shove you around to be first in line. It was demeaning and insulting.

Guides need to do a better job of keeping that type of behavior down.

We have studied primitive technology and some of what was said was simply wrong - probably just for sensationalism but wrong nevertheless.

The artwork in the lobby has no information (name of artist, etc.) When I asked a guide about that they simply told me management didn't care.

For the exaggerated price, I'll buy a book to help me understand their culture better and I can read it in comfort and not risk being trampled over by some desperate tourist.

Visited September 2016
, General Manager at Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Mike,

I am very concerned to read your recent review and would like the opportunity to discuss your visit with you. Please feel free to make contact at Tjapukai or via my email bryce.madgwick@tjapukai.com.au so that I can gather further details about your visit.

We do take pride in being one of the largest indigenous employers and currently have close to sixty of our seventy five staff identifying that way. We are very proud of our heritage and want to ensure all guest's get to benefit from the knowledge and passion that our staff bring every day.

We welcome all feedback and acknowledge that mistakes can occur from time to time. Your experience however is not consistent with our usual high standards and we want to work quickly to understand how we can respond and take any action required.

I hope we can discuss this further at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards

Bryce Madgwick
Trollhattan, Sweden
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“I loved it! Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Did the Tjapukai Night Fire yesterday. It was simply GREAT!!! Really interesting, a lot of humor, loved that the crowd gets to interact, the performers were so good and friendly and the food at the dinner was amazing! Definitly one of the best activities i have done here Cairns!

Visited October 2016
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Didn't enjoy at all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

After reading the reviews on here we decided to go. I honestly thought it was a huge waste of money. Firstly it's very commercial as you enter , the pre dinner drink and canapés terrible . We watched a few dancers and then making a fire and they get you to dance but only 4 people are picked out of everyone to participate in the activities , they are then given a gift which is great for them but would be nice for all of us to recieve something. The buffet was terrible !!! No selection and really focused on the Asian tourism market ( miso soup for example). They had salad and vegetables but very little meat apart from crocodile and kangaroo which I can't eat . Dessert was instant coffee and pieces of what I think is Sarah lee chocolate cake. Dinner isn't until 8:30 and even then be prepared to wait in the line for the buffet until 9pm to eat!!. You also have to pay for soft drinks even after paying the huGe money to attend. Several people were not happy as their buses were picking them up at 9:15!!!!

I usually don't give bad reviews but I think it's important for people to look at this before going as it really was very disappointing!

Visited October 2016
Dear Sheree,

I hope we can discuss this further at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards