“Our Favorite Accomodation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Muri
Aito Apartments Muri
Ranked #10 of 17 Speciality Lodging in Muri
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This past April we visited the Cook Islands, spending our first 2 nights in Rarotonga before heading to Aitutaki for 5 nights and then back again to Rarotonga for the final 7 nights which is when we stayed at Aito Apartments.

Before finalizing our decisions about where to stay, I studied reviews, did hours of research and worried for months as I did not want to make a bad choice and be disappointed. We are not 'high maintenance' travelers but I did want to ensure we got the best bang for our buck and Aito Apartments over-delivered in that regard. I completely agree with previous reviews - the units are spacious, comfortable and absolutely spotless and of the 3 places we stayed, Aito was definitely our favorite. (For the record, the other places we stayed were ranked #1 and #12 in the Cooks and while we were very happy with those choices, we also paid a significant amount more for both).

What was our favorite part about Aito Apartments? Most definitely Jean-Marc, Mere and Tutu (their dog)! We joked that we'd like to take them all home as souvenirs of our trip but honestly, their warmth, humour & hospitality is our favorite memory of our trip to the Cook Islands. We miss them!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank NewCookie

Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed at Aito apartments from February 20 to February 25 and it was a truly fantastic experience for many reasons. Should you look for a self-catered experience, I think there is nowhere else to search in Rarotonga as Aito provides you with everything you would need at an incredible price.

First, the location is very good, just on the main and only road of Rarotonga, 50 meters from the beach and only 5 mins walk to the famous Muri beach (which is I think the nicest beach and part of the lagoon of the island) and 5 mins walk to Fruits of Rarotonga which is a very nice snorkelling spot. You can also easily catch the bus that runs around the island (beware of the schedule of the anticlockwise road!).

Second, the apartment I had (in fact there are only 2 apartments in the residence) was spotless. Very spacious, with a big living room and kitchen very well equiped, a nice bedroom with lots of storage (a huge wardrobe!) and a very nice bathroom. The apartment has everything you need, from the soap to the flyswatter without forgetting the complimentary fruit platter, milk, butter and jams you will find in the fridge when you arrive. You can also enjoy the backyard terrace with a gorgeous view on the mountains. And to kill time during the evening, there is a big TV with a DVD player and good DVDs ! I

But the truly added value of Aito apartments is the exceptional sweetness of the hosts Jean-Marc and Mere, which will make you feel that you are at home rather than at a hotel. As I was travelling alone, they invited me several times to dine with them for great BBQs. They also offered me the transfer from the airport when I arrived (which was priced at 20 NZD on their website), and booked me a shuttle back to the airport which was in the early morning (which was this time 20NZD). And was it was particularly pricy to call to and from Cook Islands, they allowed me to use their Wifi network to use Skype.

So in a word, a very very good stay and the Cook Islands was a fantastic discovery. I also suggest you do the day trip to Aitutatki or at least spend some time there because the lagoon of the island, the crystal-clear waters are really worth a visit and were in fact the highlight of my stay!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank JohnZ05
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The place is fantastic - peaceful, modern, big, comfortable - should be twice the price.

Jean-Marc and his wife are the ultimate hosts - sincere, relaxed, warm and a pleasure to be around.

By far the best and most memorable accomodation experience I've had travelling.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Henry M
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I chose Aito largely on the basis of these reviews (and my correspondence with the owners) and it exceeded my expectations. The apartment was modern, clean and spacious. I was welcomed with a fruit platter by Mere and the fridge was pre-stocked with essentials. Jean-Marc was the perfect host - quick to offer a cold beer and invite me up for dinner (as I was travelling on my own). While the apartment is close to the main road, it was still quiet. A 10 minute walk in one direction will take you to the Muri shops, while a fifteen minute walk in the other direction will take you to the great snorkeling of the Fruits of Rarotonga. If you are there on a Saturday, it is well worth checking out the market in town (near the airport). All in all, a great stay.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Vegman99_New
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband, 2 year old Manu and I stayed at Aito apartments for almost a week in October this year and absolutely loved it. We wished we had stayed longer. Not only was Jean-Marc a wonderful host, but the location of the place was perfect for us getting to the lovely Muri Lagoon and to wonderful snorkeling spots. It was only a short 10-15 min walk to Muri town as well. There was no need to hire a car or motorbike. We either walked to places nearby or caught the bus into town eg. for the Saturday market. I would recommend buying the 10 trip for $25 instead of paying $4 per trip. The apartment itself was huge, spotless and beautifully presented. Having a washing machine was great as well. It was also very child friendly making it possible for Manu to enjoy the spacious verandah, but there was a gate to stop him from wondering off the property. We arrived quite late at night on our 1st night, around midnight, and Jean-Marc was there to greet us and provided us with a fruit basket and a fridge full of the necessities. Being feed dinner by Jean-Marc on the weekend was also an amazing treat. Manu misses Tutu, their friendly 3 legged dog, who happily went on walks with us every time. Jean-Marc, Manu is still calling out your name wondering where you are, or as he re-named you 'Marco'. I would not hesitate to recommend Aito apartments to anyone. If you want a great location, relaxed, comfortable, child friendly place, with awesome hosts, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family