See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband, 2 year old Manu and I stayed at Aito apartments for almost a week in October this year and absolutely loved it. We wished we had stayed longer. Not only was Jean-Marc a wonderful host, but the location of the place was perfect for us getting to the lovely Muri Lagoon and to wonderful snorkeling spots. It was only a short 10-15 min walk to Muri town as well. There was no need to hire a car or motorbike. We either walked to places nearby or caught the bus into town eg. for the Saturday market. I would recommend buying the 10 trip for $25 instead of paying $4 per trip. The apartment itself was huge, spotless and beautifully presented. Having a washing machine was great as well. It was also very child friendly making it possible for Manu to enjoy the spacious verandah, but there was a gate to stop him from wondering off the property. We arrived quite late at night on our 1st night, around midnight, and Jean-Marc was there to greet us and provided us with a fruit basket and a fridge full of the necessities. Being feed dinner by Jean-Marc on the weekend was also an amazing treat. Manu misses Tutu, their friendly 3 legged dog, who happily went on walks with us every time. Jean-Marc, Manu is still calling out your name wondering where you are, or as he re-named you 'Marco'. I would not hesitate to recommend Aito apartments to anyone. If you want a great location, relaxed, comfortable, child friendly place, with awesome hosts, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Mieke S
Reviewed 18 September 2011

My partner and I stayed at Aito Apartments in late July, 2011 for five days/six nights and it was paradise…. We had never travelled to any of the Pacific Islands before (have previously been to Indonesia, Thailand and Brazil) and for some reason had very high expectations, but not once were we disappointed.

After arriving on a late night flight from Auckland, we checked in to our spotlessly clean, beautiful apartment. Aito Apartments are extremely well equipped, tropical, modern, sunny, have amazing views to the mountains from the back porch and are complete with v. cute dog – Tutu!

The location is better than excellent – just a 2 minute scooter ride from Fruits Of Rarotonga – the best snorkelling spot we found, 10 minute walk from the centre of Muri beach, 30 second walk to a secluded beach right across the road and a 20 minute scooter ride from the main town of Avarua.

July was the perfect time to travel to Rarotonga – it was sunny every day, hot and definitely warm enough to swim. The water was crystal clear and an amazing turquoise colour, like no other beach we had seen before.

We were so please that we had picked to stay at Aito Apartments over another hotel/Resort in Rarotonga, it was not only very relaxing but actually looked nicer than many of the other hotels/resorts on the Island.

The owners were extremely accommodating and very friendly, they organised an airport transfer for us and Jean Marc also made us an amazing dinner - very generous.

I would not hesitate in recommending Aito Apartments to friends and family, I think it is the perfect place for couples as well as families and although Rarotonga does not have much nightlife or shopping, it is the perfect escape – I just wish we had spent more time.

Recommend:
Staying at Aito Apartments
Hiring a scooter
Kayaking around Muri Lagoon over the crystal clear water
Snorkelling at Fruits of Rarotonga
The Fishing Club for a casual lunch
Kikau Hut restaurant for dinner
Making a BBQ at the apartment or having a Champagne breakfast on the balcony
The piece of beach where The Little Polynesian is located – best spot, just don’t sit under a coconut tree!
Going for a morning run – sounds horrible when you are on holiday, but is a great way to see the beach and local houses before it gets too hot
Drive down the back roads – reminds me of Bali but without the rubbish!

Don’t Expect:
Any shopping – which is perfect because then you can truly relax!
Good food – it’s hard to find a restaurant with the same quality of food as Soul Bar or Prego in Auckland. Better to buy some fresh fish and vegetables from the supermarket and cook at the apartment

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RiadNewZealand
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Excellent value and great location! The accommodations are clean, spacious and have all of the amenities you need. The front deck has a lovely table and bbq for outside dining and the back deck is very functional with a sink for washing off your snorkel gear and lines to hang up your wet beach towels. Jean-Marc is a wonderful host but the best part of Aito is Tutu. Tutu is their amazing 3 legged dog who will happily accompany you on your strolls on the beach.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank stressla
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We enjoyed our stay so much in September 2010 we came back and stayed at the Aito Apartments for longer and even then it wasn't long enough. The second visit was even better and more enjoyable than the first. We had a great time and our hosts were fantastic. We did a day trip to Aitutaki with Raratongan Air a really beautiful place and very well looked after. We did a culture show at Te Vara Nui in Muri, really worth while they provide a pick up and drop off service, although we chose to walk there and back. We had lots of rest, swimming and snokelling. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wilsone56
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I stayed for 6 nights at Aito in the Cook Islands. The apartment was everything I had hoped for and more from the earlier reviews - spacious, attractive, spotlessly clean, basically everything I needed and more. Jean Marc was an exceptional host and provided fresh tropical fruit, good company when I needed it and a very convivial dinner. A very laid back and relaxing time. Not just five stars but exceptional. I highly recommend walks along the beach at Muri and to Fruits Of Rarotonga - a great place to stay at a wonderful South Pacific paradise.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo