“Service was slow but food delicious. Nice breezy view of lighthouse and sea”

SUNRISE RESTAURANT & GUEST HOUSE
Ranked #36 of 86 Restaurants in Mahabalipuram
Price range: USD 40 - USD 200
Good for: View
Description: Fresh food form off the coromandel coast is the main draw at this roof top restaurant with soothing views of sea and panoramic garden.Bask in the warm glow of our friendly service and spacious rooms.
Reviewed 8 February 2017

The following review could not be submitted at the time due to lousy internet access on the rest of or India Trip. I am editing it and uploading it today 8/2/17 as a result f being too busy since our holiday, sorry. I hope it is still relevant.

We three middle-aged British guys were looking for a late lunch although we had had no breakfast as late rising (yet again in soporific guest house room overlooking beach). It was so humid and overcast that we could not face our favourite (indoors) Mallama Bhavan and I remembered this roof top restaurant we had passed many a time to avoid the hassling shop owners on the main drag. It also had reasonable TA reviews.

We arrived at 13:45 on a Monday and climbed the stairs to a more upmarket feeling place than we are used to. No menu downstairs so we were expecting high prices for our first caffeine fix of the day. A group of about 16 young Indian professionals were in the early stages of a meal, and this proved significant. We sat on a corner table, by the group, overlooking the local woodland and field. Litter dumped over the walls and railings, cows, pigs, goats and dogs roaming free. The Sea was visible through the trees and the breeze from it was welcome! The lighthouse poked up through the other woodland so the scene was set for a nice meal, limited as no doubt expensive.

First our caffeine fixes. We were offered the menus and before opening it ordered two coffees and a Marsala tea/chai. Then we delved into the menus. Not expensive at all! On comparing it with pics of MH or HGuru it was quite reasonable given the location. The food for the group looked good, arriving steadily.

We were not in a hurry and thought we would get online on their wifi. I went to the kitchen area to ask a waiter for the wifi details and were told it was not working, damned! I returned and then we got quite frustrated at how long it was taking to get the coffee and tea and any one of the three waiters to attend to us. We seemed to be ignored in favour of the big group whose food was steadily being delivered. As we discussed walking out finally our caffeine came and we could order.

We considered the (favourably reviewed) pizzas but decided to take a chance on the traditional fare. Fried prawn rice, veg curry, malai kofta and plain rice, prawn biryani. We asked if there was any beer (I'm sure I heard people drinking when passing by in the evening) and yes there was at 250 a big Carlsberg. We ordered and expected a long wait.

Meanwhile the party was finishing off and had left two large chicken legs behind. I was tempted swipe them as they were likely to be thrown away (my heritage forbids throwing good food away) and I edged over to look at it. It was near raw! No wonder they had left it! The waiter came over and cleared the plates but left the chicken. Within a few seconds the local crows that had been accumulating nearby on the trees and telephone wires descended gingerly onto the table grabbing the meat and squabbled as each tried to fly off with the heavy pieces.

The food came in good time (we were the only diners) and it was well portioned and very tasty indeed! The veg balls in particular. There were plenty of prawns in the biryani and fried rice too. I expect the management had taken note of the reviews.

As we were eating a chap came from the kitchen to ask if all was well. On hearing our positive feedback he stayed with us and introduced himself as the chef, continuing to talk about his background, the tsunami, economic crisis and other issues. He must be the chap referred to in another review, Raj Silva (?). No big deal as we were in the mood for chatting with locals. The good was good so we talked positively. I did not mention the raw chicken.

We left quite happy despite the initial wait. Thankfully we did not order the chicken or were not dived upon by the crows. I heard since that in some places in India they net off the restaurants because of the monkeys!!

Reviewed 30 December 2016

Quality of the good is just perfect. Visited twice here for lunch during my stay. The service provided by the good by the courteous staff.

Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

Awesome food and good location .. little interior but worth.. good breeze and great food made it amazing experience... We tried tava fish .. chilli chicken.. golden fried prown.. pizza.. all very tasty.. kids too like it..

Reviewed 24 November 2016 via mobile

Restaurant located at the corner of the street overlooking the park.

It's small restaurant with rooftop. Dishes are just OK.

WiFi is offered as complementary.

Reviewed 14 November 2016 via mobile

Went there for lunch. I was the only customer. I ordered grilled fish and soda water. First came lemon soda and then a very small fish for 300 Rs with a small portion of fries. I was still hungry at the end.
I sat at the rooftop corner to enjoy the views and the waiter came and started to chat. I made him clear I was in no mood for smalltalk and just wanted to be alone but he stayed in front of me for the whole meal.
And the only active mosquito I ever saw at noon was in that place.
There are numerous better places in town, especially near the bank.