1,237 results
All reviews private beach palm cove our honeymoon beach bar rock pools tropical rainforest beach front welcome drink the great barrier reef main building port douglas paperbark restaurant beachfront bungalow pizza night trinity beach cabin wallabies
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I just stayed at the Kewarra Beach Resort for a week with my husband, our ten year old son and my mother-in-law. It is a very relaxing place, set right in the middle of the rain forest. When we arrived, the hotel was still a bit of a work in progress. The reception area was still under construction, and there was no spa. By the end of our visit, however, the reception area had been opened, and the restaurant moved to an adjacent location with a lovely view of the rainforest and the beach. Still no spa, though.
The food is excellent, the staff very friendly and accommodating, and our room (a two bedroom bungalow) was spacious and well-appointed. I would not describe the Kewarra Resort as chic, but I would describe it as being cozy, comfortable and aesthetically tasteful. It is very "feel good."
Since the hotel is located right in the middle of the rain forest, there is quite a bit of wildlife. We saw a python, several wallabies, and lots of amazing birds and butterflies. Our one complaint is that some of the plants that have been put there are not indigenous to the region. For example, they definitely need to lose the bamboo. We heard that a new landscape architect had been hired, so hopefully this will all be corrected.
The pools are lovely to look at, but not heated. (Never found that jacuzzi another reviewer writes about.) The water temperature at the beach, though, was perfect. It seemed a bit empty, however, that may have been because the weather was overcast for most of the time we were there. It is a lovely stretch of beach to walk on. My son also enjoyed climbing on what my husband called the "leaning palm of Kewarra."
The hotel is a bit isolated, so you definitely need to get out and explore. We did lots of excursions, including the scenic railway and sky rail, a snorkeling trip to Michelmas Cay, and a trip to a nearby crocodile farm. It also might be a good idea to rent a car in case you want to check out Palm Cove, Trinity Beach or even take the hour long drive to Port Douglas.
The other guests at the hotel ran the gamut from young honeymooners, some "baby mooners," families like us, and also some seniors. That worked well for us as my mother-in-law was happy to be able to meet people her own age, and my son liked seeing other kids around.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank NYNYGIraffe
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Would highly recommend the Kewarra Beach Resort. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and the staff were all very helpful. Close enough to Cairns that you can participate in activities like snorkeling based out of the city and also within walking distance along the beach to Palm Cove. It's worth getting a package with breakfast included too--I was sort of expecting a traditional hotel continental breakfast with a few unappetizing items under heat lamps, but the breakfast spread was fantastic--well worth the cost. The rooms are not all that big (but are well-furnished with air conditioning--note also that wifi is included for free in the rooms), but if you spend too much time in your room, then you're missing the point of being at a resort like this anyways. Be aware that you may see an ant or two in your room, but it's not a sign of lack of cleanliness--just that you're in the middle of some fairly pristine forest. Overall cost not all that much higher than the nice hotels in Cairns, but the quality of your stay will be much higher. Again, highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank oaktree1
Reviewed 5 July 2010

What a fantastic getaway! My husband surprised me with a getway to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ecocchie
Reviewed 3 July 2010

We arrived in a dusty 4WD without a booking to be greeted with a warm welcome (no mind the renovations), good rates, glorious fruit cocktails and perfect facilities for a dust-off, wind down, chill out -- in glorious cabins in a beautiful garden right on a beach. what better way to end a FNQ holiday? Thanks so much, and we hope to spend a week with you next time. Veronica and friends (Tasmania)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Veronica92
Reviewed 29 June 2010

My Husband and I had our wedding at Kewarra beach resort and from day 1 we were treated like royalty. The whole wedding day was taken care of, I didn't have to worry about any thing.
The accommodation was superb.
Highly recommend the romantic dinner for two.... easily the best food I have ever eaten!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trent P
Kewarra, Wedding Coordinator at Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2010

Dear Sarah & Trent,
Thank you for your kind words, it was a pleasure to have had the honour of looking after all the arrangements for your special occasion. Kewarra is truly a very romantic place and there is no doubt that the special ambiance of the surrounds has a wonderful effect on so many of our guests. We shall look forward with great pleasure to welcoming you both back for your anniversaries in the future.