“The beautiful Long Sheng Dragon Spine Rice Terraces”

Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 79.00*
and up
Guilin Longji Rice Terraces and Ethnic Minority Village Day Tour
Whitehall, MI
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The beautiful Long Sheng Dragon Spine Rice Terraces”
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I specifically chose a tour offered by the company China Spree, so that I could take a hiking tour of the Dragon Spine Rice Terraces. (I didn't find another company that offered the experience.) Although the day was occasionally misty, the weather was warm, and the views were beautiful. Over centuries, the Zhuang and Yao minorities have sculpted step-like terraces for growing rice in the hills of Southwest China. In the Spring, when I was there, the terraces are filled with water. On my next visit, I would love to be there in the Fall, when the rice ripens, and the terraces are golden waves.
We hiked between the villages following stone paths. (There are rides available for those that can't quite make the climb.) At the top we enjoyed not only the gorgeous views, but sweet Longji Tea. On the way down, we stopped for lunch, sampling among other local dishes, bamboo rice. For me, the day was everything that I had hoped it would be.

Visited May 2011

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Beautiful views”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

but you can get bored of rice. The 4 hour walk was great to do, but one rice field gets to look like the next. Thisis a major walk, dont do it unless prepared.

Visited September 2011
3 Thank LondonMadmax
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“a little disappointing”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Very similar to what I had seen in Peru, so it was a little disappointing. But included in the package was a trip to the Yao village of longhaired women, which was fun. I also enjoyed the musical show they put on.

Visited October 2011
Vancouver, Canada
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“The Hi-Light of our 17 day Tour”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We were stunned by the beauty of the terraced rice fields. It was amazingly beautiful. The green shoots, the colour of the earth, and the scattered tiny villages just took our breaths away. My husband and I made a promise to return for a visit in an autumn monh, but we will want to stay in a local bed and breakfast for for at least two nights. We purchased a book showing the terraces at different times of the year Each season presents its own beauty. And to think that these terraces had been here for over 5 centuries. All carved by human hands.
Not too many tours offer the Longji Rice Terraces on their itinerary, but if you do find one that does offer it, do join the tour from that company. China Spree, a US based operator offers it with one of their tours.
You can only fully appreciate the stunning vistas by being there.
Along the way there are restaurants serving tasty meals, stalls selling drinks and local souvenirs. It is not wheelchair accessible, but there are sedan chairs that one can hire for the up and down climbs. It is employment for a few of the villagers.
And the villagers and friendly and laid back.

Visited September 2011
3 Thank sheila026
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
179 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 208 helpful votes
“Tremendous Views”
Reviewed 2 October 2011

There are well laid out walks around the terraces & you can make it as easy or challenging as you want.
We left the Liqing Hotel at 9am & arrived back at 5:30pm. A pretty gruelling hike along the sometimes dangerous, slippery and sometimes very steep (it rained) stone paths.
Take care !!