“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taumarunui Holiday Park

Taumarunui Holiday Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taumarunui
Taumarunui Holiday Park
Melbourne, Australia
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

What a place. Originally I stayed here just to rest before taking on the forgotten world hwy. Wet weather forced me to stay an extra day so I decided use that time to see what there was to do in the area. Much to my suprise and to the amazement of other New Zealanders Taumarunui is a great place to visit.

I had a great time here and ended up staying for a week. Culturally there's a lot of history, plenty of good walking tracks and great fishing and boating on the river. You can also see New Zealands famous glow worms. There amazing and it's free. Just as good as the Waitomo Caves but without the hefty price tag.

The holiday park is right on the river and a very comfortable place to stay. The kitchen is fully equiped with pots and pans as well as plates and cutlery. Everything is well maintained and very clean. Good internet and great bathrooms.

Something all holiday park users appreciate is a good shower. You know what I'm talking about. I stayed in over a dozen holiday parks in NZ and the one thing most of them have in common is little or no water pressure. Not here. The showers here are fantastic. Steaming hot with high water pressure which felt so good I didn't want to get out.

I was travelling solo but this is a great place for families. The owners are constantly working to improve the parks facilities with new cabins, artwork and activities for kids. They're well travelled (Phil's from England and Helene's a local), have great stories to tell and often get a log fire going outside the kitchen just to make your stay a little more comfortable.

My journey took me to Taumarunui twice. The first time on my way to New Plymouth and the second on my way to Lake Taupo. It's central location provided a good pivot point to travel to many locations on the North Island. I didn't have to stay the second time but my first stay was so enjoyable that I wanted to drop in and say "Hi" to Phil and Helene as well as pat Des the dog and Julia the pet pig. The other thing I wanted was a good shower and after having travelled extensively over the entire North Island I can report that these are the best showers in NZ.

If your in the area this is the place to stay. The rates are cheaper than local hotels and cabin prices for backpackers who travel in pairs are the same as you would get in a hostel. There's also good shopping just a few minutes away.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
wootton,australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

The owners (Phil & Helene) went out of their way to make our visit as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. Even supplying firewood for our only fire in NZ. Julia (the pig) and Des (the dog) were both entertaining. This park is located right on the Whanganui river. Well worth a visit.

Wayne Cooper (Australia)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

I'd planned to stay at this holiday park only one night, but then I decided to stay longer because of the lovely managers and the perfect, clean facilities. Hot showers, fully equiped kitchen and brand new cabins. As I got there on a bike, the people took me to a remote place to see the glow worms, so friendly! Thanks Phil and Helene!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

I've stayed at the Taumarunui Holiday Park quite a few times over the past few years. I go there as it's really well located for trout fishing a number of nearby rivers - especially the Whanganui and Whakapapa rivers. The setting and accommodation is excellent and I think I've stayed in all the various units on the site. The park-like setting is very peaceful and picturesque. The amenities are very good - they've got everything you need. I was probably a bit nervous when there was a change of owners last year, but the new owners Phil and Helene are very friendly and helpful. Already they're making little improvements and upgrades to the accommodation, which is great. So I'll definitely be staying here again and again - I love it! Thanks Phil and Helene and keep doing the great job you're doing!

Room Tip: Check out their website for info!