“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The staff were friendly and polite and we were able to be seated without booking which was great

There was a date night Thursday menu for £25.95 for a set 3 course meal which I think is really reasonable ... we chose not to have this however as we just weren’t that hungry .... so we both chose ribs... big mistake!
Usually I love ribs as the meat falls off the bone and you’re left wanting more...but these were dry burnt and just not a lot on them I was glad when I’d finished them!... they reminded me of my dad’s bad bbqing back in the day!....luckily I’d only gone for half a rack!

For the money you pay at this place I’d expect a lot more and on previous occasions we ve had fantastic meals here... even the Shiraz was almost £9 a glass.... and that was a cheaper one!
The toilets too... I had to let myself out by pulling the coat hook as no door handle ... just a hole??!!!

Was definitely disappointed and won’t rush back to spend my hard earned cash

2  Thank shelbyf2004
General Manager A, Manager at Miller & Carter Leigh-on-sea, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Good evening Shelby, I sincerely apologise our ribs were not up to our usual high standards, many guests find them very enjoyable so I am surprised to hear that on this occasion they wasn't. All of our servers as part of the service cycle, are required to check back with guests once the meals are served. This gives us the opportunity to rectify any problems that may be experienced, I'm sure our servers would have improved the situation once acknowledged. Our wine list is extensively created to offer high quality wines that suits a plethora of price ranges; our Tomorino merlot for instance is £7.00 for a large glass.
We have contacted our maintenance team and they are in the process of resolving the lack of door handle.
Thanks again for bringing the above to our attention, as it is only through feedback we can improve!
Kind Regards

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Arrived around 6pm, and noticed the car park was almost empty.

They showed me to my table quickly and took my drinks order.

The food was brought out at a reasonable speed, but certainly not quickly.

The Food was enjoyable and the stake was a little more red than I was used to for a Medium Rear, but was very nice all the same.

I was then left waiting more than 20 minutes after finishing my meal, before I saw anyone whom I could get the bill.

Myself and another table mentioned the waiting, to which we were told, sorry it is our change over period.

Also, 1 person dining it cost £40, so pretty expensive for the service received.

Morel of the story: Don't go around 6pm

I doubt very much I will go here again.

1  Thank Paul_Ventris
General Manager A, Manager at Miller & Carter Leigh-on-sea, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give constructive feedback, regarding your experience Paul. All of our dishes are cooked to order to ensure that the food is of a high standard when it reaches your table. At miller and carter our service speeds may appear slower then restaurants that operate in the 'value for money' segment of the market, that is because we offer an experience where we want our guests to be relaxed and should not be rushed at any point, when you dine with us. As a management team we do strive to ensure that our hand-over periods between staff is seamless, I offer my personal apologies if this wasn't the case, upon your particular visit. Thanks again for your comments Paul.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Myself and partner went here this evening and were very disappointed.The quality of the food and speed of service was very poor.I ordered Scallops as a starter which tasted of nothing except water,obviously pre frozen,it was served with parmentier potatoes which were undercooked,very underwhelming.My partner had the chicken and duck wings which were just ok,the duck being better than the chicken.For mains I ordered Rib eye and partner ordered Fillet,the fillet was ok and the rib eye was bland.They were both served with fries,something described as a slice of onion loaf which was greasy and unappealing and a quarter of tomato and what should have been a bowl of lettuce each that didn’t arrive.We both had a porcini mushroom sauce for our steaks which was as thin as water and tasted of nothing and also had no evidence of mushrooms.The quality of the food was sub standard and did not justify the price.My partner had 3 beers and I had a small bottle of water and we had sticky toffee pudding and chocolate brownie for desert which was the highlight of the meal.The server was friendly and deducted the cost of a beer from the total price due to the missing lettuce.Lettuce,a bizarre accompaniment to an odd menu.Service was slow and we were scared to let the server leave the table when she gave us our desert menus as we knew it would probably be another 20 minutes before she came back to take the order! Would not recommend nor will we be visiting again,it felt like a harvester with marginally better quality food and no salad bar!

2  Thank LondonNutmeg
General Manager A, Manager at Miller & Carter Leigh-on-sea, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detailed review 'LondonNutMeg'. Harvester is one of our sister brands within our parent company so we do indeed share similar visions & Values. Miller & Carter is a different brand in its own right serving food that is, as you correctly identified, serving better quality food and drink then Harvester.
We do strive to source quality ingredients that we can provide to you at a price that reflects this whilst still delivering affordability for our guests. All of our tables have a generous time allocation as our we want our guests to enjoy their evening with us and to make it an experience rather then a fast service restaurant. I'm glad to hear our member of staff rectified an aspect of your experience by the gesture of a free beer.
We do have many happy regular guests that frequent our establishment, I am sorry to hear that we might not be the right brand for you and your partner, but I will share your feedback with relevant department in due course.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

We booked late, so had an early booking for 6:15. The restaurant was reasonably busy for a Saturday evening. The staff were very friendly, and very helpful. We asked for a table in a quiet area, and were not disappointed. The choice of drinks is good, the menu very descriptive. My wife had the fish, I had the large rack of ribs. This was the best rack of ribs I’ve had, more meat on them than I’ve had anywhere else.
We thoroughly enjoyed our meals, and found it good value for money. I was a bit apprehensive of eating here after reading some negative reviews, but we couldn’t fault our dining experience, and will definitely go back again.

Thank you for your pleasant review Doug, it was thoroughly enjoyable to hear that you had a good experience at our establishment and will share your kind words with the rest of our team here at Miller & Carter! Was there any member of our wonderful team that particularly shone?

Reviewed 24 March 2018

Have not been here for quite a few years so thought would give it ago .. went for afternoon lunch
Very pleasant place nice and clean food was excellent .. the waitresses were very pleasant and the bar staff very helpful would definitely recommend this place and will definitely return .. don't take my word try for yourself I. Sure you will be pleased

General Manager A, Manager at Miller & Carter Leigh-on-sea, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

We appreciate your positive review about your recent experience with us! Thank you again for leaving us this response!