“60th Birthday and Anniversary”

Food by John Lawson
Reserve with OpenTable
Food by John Lawson is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 165 Restaurants in Leigh-on Sea
Price range: USD 44 - USD 95
Description: Real Food, locally sourced with a focus on creativity and flavour. The menu changes daily depending on the produce from local farmers and fishermen. John can create a food experience for all, including those with dietary requirements. Chef John has worked with some of the best in the industry and this shows in every dish presented at the restaurant.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Just the most superb food and amazing service. This little gem of a restaurant is amazing. We are still talking about the tasting menu this morning.

1  Thank bevannUk

Reviewed 28 March 2018

I booked this place for birthday, I booked it through OpenTable app and provided special instructions as it was my friends birthday and it would be great if they could wish during dessert course/with a drink.

Lady who called to confirm my appointment told me how it is not a typical type of restaurant and how they are special, it a restaurant with tasting menu like many other restaurant, so it won't be possible to wish. There was not even an alternative of "we can give a champagne when you arrive and include in the bill" or something on the similar lines. She told me we could order a gluten free, dairy free cake which goes with their ethos for £20. made me feel really weird about asking it in the first place. So I said I would have to think about it. 30 mins later I got a call from the chef, he asked me if I have been to their website and read all about them, because they are not a restaurant who have typical menu and can provide a chocolate brownie with a candle(which I thought was a bit insulting). Chef went on to explain it is a place people come to celebrate food not make it about themselves. I honestly believe he probably did not play this in his mind before saying. Anyways long story short I canceled going here, which is a shame. Although it would be quite awkward to go after the massive drama

Had to find an alternative restaurant with very short notice, was not fun

15  Thank justanotheradvisor
Reviewed 21 March 2018

Once you get past the curtain you could be anywhere in the UK, The restaurant is very clean & comfortable. Service was impeccable, friendly & attentive.
There is no choice of menu which was the attraction for me, just great quality ingredients from as local as possible, in season, organic, grass fed hmmm. Also had the matched wine which is sourced from my favourite wine shop Vino Vero just down the road.
The dishes were such high standard, you can see John's been a top chef for years & having him resident in Leigh-on-Sea is a great privilege! This food would cost a fortune in London or any city worldwide.
I'll be back here to sample another months ingredients very soon.

3  Thank Clarke_CJ
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Superb food, great service, great atmosphere. Well worth the money. Good things are worth paying for!

2  Thank Pandersman
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

We were lucky to get a table at short notice after another restaurant cancelled our reservation. It was a blessing, as Food by John Lawson is a wonderful experience. It takes guts and talent to offer a locally sourced, organic and dairy free menu.

The restaurant is small enough to be intimate and for. Customers to really feel part of the team running the place. The staff are very welcoming and John isn’t shy about coming out to talk about the food he has just cooked. That’s a lovely touch that most chefs forget. Customer experience is paramount and what better way to achieve that than to personally meet the people who come to your restaurant.

We had the tasting menu, four courses of seasonal food. The guys got talent! The food was delicious, unpretentious and beguiling. It doesn’t really matter exactly what we had, as it was sublime and changes with the season and availability. If you choose to go, you may have completely different dishes.

If I have doubts about Food, it’s based on a) price and b) choice. We chose to have the paired wines with our meal but I never really got the impression that we had the knowledge of sommelier to guide us. One of the wines was described as being like Marmite, customers either hated it or loved it. Most of us disliked it. I can’t understand why a restaurant would pair a wine with a course of food knowing that 50% of their customers wouldn’t like it and then charge them a lot, just for the displeasure. We all loved the relaxed atmosphere of Food but if you are going to charge Michelin star restaurant prices then the staff need to be able to tell the story of the wine and the wine needs to be something that enhances customers experience. Lastly, the price. I have been lucky enough to eat at 1, 2 and 3 Star Michelin restaurants but honestly can’t equate the experience at Food with them. Yet the prices are comparable. We chose to start with a cocktail to enhance the tasting menu. For all of us, it was over priced and under delivered.

However, we all had a wonderful experience and will eat here again. The food is different to what else is on offer and is genuinely unique in its offering. I guess the only way you will know how good Food is is to eat here yourselves. You will not be disappointed but avoid the Marmite.

1  Thank lymph1