“Excellent and something a bit different”

Calypso Restaurant Taste of the Caribbean
Ranked #18 of 165 Restaurants in Leigh-on Sea
Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

With so many options open these days it’s really nice to have something a bit different
7 of us visited for a birthday celebration and everyone fully enjoyed it. Lovely food in a great atmosphere
Interesting menu ( I recommend the goat curry!) and if Rum is your drink plenty to try with tasting boards available. Of course plenty of other drinks as well including a great beer brewed just for the restaurant
We will certainly return and r commend anyone to give it a try

Reviewed 1 February 2018

We booked this restaurant for a saturday night a couple of weeks before christmas expecting it to be packed. When we arrived there was 1 other table occupied and it remained that way all evening.
I return here fairly often from quite far away just for the Sweetcorn fritters....what a disappointment that they had changed and were more like potato fritters with very little sweetcorn in them!!
When we ordered we asked to have the curry made a bit spicier, the waiter said that that would be no problem but did not tell us that we would pay £1 each for this pleasure! At a high price of £15.95 for curried goat i wouldn't have expected to pay more for a bit of spice!
The chef/owner who usually comes out for a chat seemed uninterested and they all gave the impression that they just wanted to close for the evening!

It did make us wonder if these are the reasons for the lack of customers. I hope that this place gets back to how it originally was.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

Went there last night with my husband. It was our 3rd time back. We both had the prawns to start and then the curried goat with rice and peas. It was delicious and the staff are friendly too with Rupert the chef coming out to see if we all enjoyed our food.
Would highly recommend this restaurant . Warm and cosy ambience, 10 out of 10

Reviewed 5 January 2018

This was a fathers gift from my step daughter 2017. So today was my first visit to the Calypso Caribbean Restaurant just me and my wife. We had great time great meal great servics and what was best of all Chef Rupert And his wife Diane came out and spoke to us ending a great night out.We will be back......enos & sarah 04/01/18....

Reviewed 27 November 2017

went with a party of 27 people and had the sweetcorn fritters to start with and the curried goat for my main. The food was fantastic and the overall restaurant and staff were brilliant highly recommend calypso.

1  Thank jotrollope