“Room full of bedbugs, please don't stay here!”
Review of Sun Hotel

Sun Hotel
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Ixelles
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We had booked a quadruple room at Sun Hotel for 2 nights in the weekend. However, during the first night we woke up having itchy feelings overall our bodies. We quickly noticed this being due to numerous bedbugs of different sizes on all the four beds. We went to the reception to report the problem, and the staff claimed not to know about the bedbugs at their hotel. We were told to email the hotel manager later on. They did not have another room for 4 people to offer, so two of us had to return home one day earlier than planned.
The manager answered us once, apologizing. However, the manager ignored our refund requests, so we did not get any money back for the accommodation, even though none of us could sleep during the first night because of the bedbugs nor did the two of us stay at the hotel for the second night.
Moreover, the staff lied to us telling there have been no previous complaints about bedbugs. Bedbugs at Sun Hotel have been reported in a Tripadvisor review as early as in 2011. The manager also admitted that Rentokil (Pest Control Company) has been treating the problem at the hotel already for 5 years.
So, stay away if you want to prevent bedbugs from spreading to your home along with your luggage! They are extremely hard to get rid of and treating the problem caused us a lot of extra expenses, none of which the hotel reimbursed for. They did not even answer our emails.
I cannot call this acceptable customer service!

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Ulrika156

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Sure, this is not going to be a luxury stay, but for the a hotel alongside the fun Ixelles district and the European Parliament section (where I had a conference) the price was good, reasonably clean, polite staff. I say good enough.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank GeorgeThePorge
Reviewed 29 November 2013

As some others have said, the rooms are small. The toilet in my room was in a recess and if I was "wider" than I am, rather than being slim, I do not think I would have been able to sit on the toilet. If you are of a larger size you will need to check the room first. A colleague had a large room and had no problem, so there are some which are not for Hobbits. The temperature outside was 6 degrees, but when I first accessed my room the radiator was not turned on, so it took all night for the room to get to a fairly comfortable temperature. The drains in my bathroom were very smelly and improved after they put some air fresheners in. Another problem was that doors seemed impossible to close without slamming, consequently I was woken up by latecomers and early birds. Am I the only person who seems to think that hotels should be quiet between 11 at night and 7 in the morning?
The positives for this hotel include the location. It is five minutes walk from Namur Metro station. There are a variety of eating options close by and supermarkets if you need them. The breakfast was fine for 5 Euros. So some good and not so good things about the hotel. But I think I would be prepared to stay there again.

Room Tip: Check first if size is a problem.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed at the Sun Hotel for one night. It is not the kind of hotel to 'enjoy' but it basically does what it says on the tin - it provides a clean room and clean bathroom for your stay. The free WiFi accessible in rooms is a big plus. I would not recommend this for the more discerning or demanding, but otherwise it is totally ok for a short stay. Breakfast at the Sun sets you back only €5. It is not a buffet breakfast but is adequate in quality and variety for the price you pay. I read about the 'very' small rooms' which other reviewers mentioned. I booked a single room but got a very big room with a double bed and a separate single bed, so I guess I was lucky. A final comment about the surrounding area - I was a bit concerned as the area looked quite dodgy on Google maps street view but it actually feels quite safe and is well lit, so, no problems there either.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Anon_MT
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The location was very good. The room was small, but clean. I think the quality was there for the price. As some other reviewers suggest this place can be improved by minor updating. The door of the shower was not tight and the floor got really wet.

The only problem was that there was a road construction right in front of the hotel and it was very noisy in the morning. I would give Average for the rating if there was no constructions.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Xuranium
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
0 km away
0.7 km away
Pantone Hotel
Pantone Hotel
#6 of 22 in Saint-Gilles

Been to Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!