“Pretty good”

Cuisines: Korean
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My wife ordered Tak Twigim however they couldn't prepare it that night for some reason so ordered Chap Chae instead. She found it a bit garlicky and too sweet.
I ordered Beef Bi Bim Bab which was very nice.
The Bi Bim Bap sauce was not as nice a I have found at other Korean restaurants.
The meals was served with little side bowls of broccoli, bean shoots, kim chi and fish noodles.
Overall, pretty good.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Kimchi Grandma is a great Korean restaurant with excellent food. It is very popular and tends to be busy. It can be noisy so not the best place for an intimate dinner!

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 26 July 2017

I first went to this restaurant more than 20 years ago. In the meantime they grew because of how great the food was, and expanded in the neighboring shop, doubling in size.
Every time I visit Melbourne, I try to eat here, the food used to be amazing.
Their specialty used to consist of 2 things: little complimentary Korean (mostly pickled) nibblies and sizzling hot plates for the meat dishes.
The little dishes have now shrunk from what used to be 6 to 3 (I understand that, it may not be lucrative any more) but the sizzling hot plates have now been replaced by normal plates, and the meat was (on my last visit) luke-warm at best, not the amazing, still-cooking bbq bul-gogi they were famous for.
I hope they rectify this, it would be a shame to lose tradition in these times when tradition is hard to come by.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank Cristian A
Reviewed 10 July 2017

My husband and me are regular visitor of Kimchi Grandma, because we live in Carnegie and of course because of the nice food and the reasonable price (with the quantity they served). In fact quite often I needed to take home the food that we could not finish.

They have a lot of dishes for you to choose from, spicy or not spicy. I highly recommend the seafood pancake which is my favorite.

The restaurant is always busy, so you better book a table in advance.

The only thing that I would complain on is the seating was a bit tight for group with 6-8 especially if you were not a skinny person. Other than that overall comment is excellent.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

Had a wonderful evening. The food is fabulous and tasty. Service was great. Certainly will recommend.

Date of visit: July 2017