Stayed at the coach house the first week of december. What a fantastic place. Although house is very large and spacious it is very homely and cosy. All bedrooms are very nice and well equiped. Lovely big kitchen.dining room where we spent a lot of time and plenty of room for everyone. The outdoor chillzone...well what can i say...absolutely great ...Woodfired sauna and hot tub great but the best of all id the 18 seater bbq hut. We spent a few nights in there...had some great bbqs and more than enough room,,,,separate kitchen with glasses,plates and cutlery etc makes it all so much easier .saves having to bring things over from main house...adjacent shower and toilet very useful. Extra little things like a basket full of crocs footwear to walk over to outdoor area and for a very small cost of £2 you can hire a nice bathrobe (honesty box)... We were kept socked up with logs for burner which are very reasonably priced and saves you having to go out to buy themOwners are around but you dont see them unless you need them..We had a small issue but it was sorted out within five minutes. ..Some ovely wa;ks round about and a couple of nice pubs for food..Shropshire about 15 mins drive away is a
lovely place to visit...supermarkets and olde worlde shops..A visit to the waterfals is a must. Plenty of leaflets in coachouse with info on places to visit...It snowed quite bad on the morning we left for home...would imagine it would have been magical to have been in the bbq hut toasting marshmallows n drinking hot chocolate with the snow coming down outside...all in all cant rate it high enough and will defo return...
So, we use Trip Advisor a lot ourselves and always try to keep reviews objective.
The positives -
- the coach house has been renovated to a high spec.
- the rental price for 10 of us was great
- the BBQ hut and chill out Zone were well used
- there is an honesty box for the robe and towel hire, to drop the money in
- the owners were very approachable if needed
The Helpful tips-
- Read all the instructions before you start doing anything / there are a lot though!
- Cover the drain in the wet room
- take a torch
- don't expect a meet and greet service, the key is in the door and they do leave you to your own devices.
- there are lovely walks in the area
The not so positive bits (personal thoughts)
- The tub and sauna are WoodFired, and for someone like me who loves the smell and sound of a woodburner this all sounds very romantic. The downside is it is very high maintenance- it takes approx 4hours to heat up for use,once it gets going and you have to regularly add wood during this time, and you cannot use it in the mornings as it cools down overnight. Then you run the gauntlet of the water suddenly getting very hot and you have to add cold water to bring it back down - that in itself turned out to be a challenge as the hose was connected to electrical timer, once we worked out all the switches in the hut (again .. read all the instructions fully first!)
- the walk from the house to Zone is around the driveway, there was a security light at the rear then another at the gate but you are practically there before it comes on and it is very dark-another sensor light on the corner of the house would help massively- but we improvised and used our phone lights.
- the house is in the middle of a stable yard, and the owners property so do not expect isolation - this is referred to in the information I think but just be aware.
- they have two beautiful dogs who are very friendly and do join you - the jack Russell on arrival joined me in the car - some of us loved it but some are allergic, so just be prepared.
- Flies were an issue - not as many as previous reviews but they were a constant presence. Hopefully for others going later as the weather gets colder this will stop, but farms, horses, etc ...
- there was no where to dry towels and wet bathers in the house. There was a tumble dryer outside in the garage though.
All in all, our weekend was what we made it, there are some lovely touches here and rental cost good value but we have probably been put off from renting anywhere again with wood fired equipment- purely our choice but somebody in the party could never fully relax as you are always thinking about lighting up, topping up and cleaning out.
Thank you to the owners for the lovely home and the facility of the Chill out Zone
Barn conversion and outside areas have clearly been completed to a high specification and there is a good level of cleanliness throughout the property, however, there is a severe fly infestation which only became apparent on our first morning once the heating had turned itself on and the property was quite warm. I was in the room opposite the main bathroom which did have a high concentration of flies that were not only flying around but were on the bed and all over personal belongings. We were also unable to sit and eat comfortably as the kitchen as inundated with flies. The owner sent a child of around 10 years old collect the deposit money to which we refused on several occasions and when owner finally arrived was rude and seemed disinterested in our observations of the flies and other faults by saying she knew all about it. The property could be exceptional if only some time and care was fed back into the property by the owners.
Where the house was lovely and in beautiful surroundings it was ruined by the infestation of flies. They were everywhere, they came out of the shower plug holes and shower head in 2 of the bathrooms. We were unable to eat without being surrounded by flies and definately couldnt leave any food or drink out on tables.
The hot tub didnt work properly and was very high maintenance to get it and keep it heated up. It meant we were unable to explore our surroundings. The hot tub wasnt very clean and because it was heated by fire it meant that we all stank of smome comming from it.
We werent welcomed to the property and when we had an issue we were unable to get in touch with the owners on any of the 3 numbers we had. We therefore missed out on an evening in the hot tub. A young child was sent to collect a deposit from us for the stay.
Stayed at The Coach House 13-16 Oct and am sad to say I would never go back or recommend to anyone.
We arrived around 4.15pm and within half hour a couple of the party went to get the hot tub going but this proved problematic as they couldn't get the jets going, after the 4 hour wait of the fire burning away underneath it we still had a cold hot tub. We tried to contact the owners for assistance but there was no reply on any number so we left a text message asking for some help, unfortunately we received no reply so this meant we were unable to use the hot tub during our first evening.
The following morning around 9.30ish a young boy around 9 or 10yrs old knocked the door saying he believed we'd had problems with the hot tub and 1 would we like him to set it up and 2 could he have the £100 deposit, we asked him to come back a bit later as people were still in bed and give us chance to get the money together. At this point one of the party went out to watch how he got the jets going and it turns out the jets didn't work and the owners explanation for this was "that's why we advertise it as a hot rub rather than a jacuzzi". A while later the young boy turned up again asking for the deposit (even though the owner who I presume to be his mother was only standing round the corner), we told him we'd like to speak to an adult about a couple of things before we paid the deposit. When she arrived she abruptly pointed out that we should have paid the deposit on arrival, we had to point out to her that as there is more than a couple of properties on the site 1 we didn't know which property the owners lived at, 2 had they answered the phone to us or maybe greeted us on arrival then we could have paid the deposit.
There was dog poo on the path to the front door, the house was absolutely full of flies (and not just a few), the hot tub was dirty with slimey walls and some sort of worm living in there, crusty bogies stuck all over the arm of one of the sofas and a chill out area that was such constant work to keep the fire going that you didn't stand a chance of going out for the day then coming back to use the hot tub. I came home smelling like I'd been round a campfire and this constant smell and smoke made the area rather unpleasant, not to mention how slippy the footing was when it had rained.
All in all it was a very disappointing experience as far as the property goes and I would advise they buy another industrial fly killing machine like the one they have in the kitchen.
Such a shame as the house itself is a great space and didn't feel at all cramped with 9 of us in there, it just needs some care and attention and maybe an electric hot tub/jacuzzi.