Kaisyu(Shirahama-cho)
USD 899
  • Pool
All reviewsjapanese stylesquatfutonbathonsen
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

Minshuku means that you're staying at someone's home. In this case, that is not an advantage. The entire house stinks, the smell of sigaretes is everywhere. The bathrooms are very dirty and the smell of mold is overwelming. The baths and walls are filled with rust. The owner was never to be found, checking in and out was done by a key left on the counter. Some old ladies (the owners mother or aunts?) were friendly but didn't speak a word of English so it was hard to communicate with them. The only advantage was the location near the beach, but if you want to walk Kumano Kodo, you better try and find a hotel in Tanabe. This little town is much further from Kumano than we expected.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank veerlegoossens
Reviewed 8 August 2016 via mobile

The other day I stayed one night here with my boyfriend. In a nutshell, this hotel turned into our favorite!
First, location is quite great. Shirarahama beach and a supermarket are located withing walking distance. Also, you can visit other attractions such as Senjojiki and Sandanbeki even on foot from this hotel.
Second, owners of this hotel are such kind. Even though our check-out time was 10:30, they let us put our bags inside. Moreover, in the evening (after the checking-out time) they allowed us take shower after playing at the beach.
Third, even though the time we visited was the busy season, we never met any other guests in the hotel, which made us more comfortable to stay here.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2016

Last time I stayed here 2 years ago I gave this place a ranking of 5 but in reality that was probably too high. I was just happy to find something so cheap and close to the beach. It is still the best value in that respect.

As much as I love the place I can understand why some people wouldn't. It is very clean but it is aged, and some areas do smell of cigarette smoke. Wall paper and carpet needs changing badly, and the bath area needs refreshing. Despite all of this I still find it a great place.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2016 via mobile

I don't know why this place has such good reviews. Okay yes, the owner was very helpful despite the language barrier and momma (who smokes like a chimney fyi) even stuck her head out to say hello. My rating of two is ONLY for the service. There was a welcome sign, which was nice. But that's where what's nice ends. First off, my reservation with Hotels.com said I would be charged ¥6,700 (cash), but upon arrival I'm told ¥7,000 for "taxes". It seems very fishy to me.

The entire place reeks of cigarettes. It's disgusting!! You can book a "no smoking" room, but you can bet it has a nice ash tray paperweight decoration. The linens appeared clean, but the walls are badly yellowed with smoke, and there were several water stains on the walls in my room. The paper was warped in many places from what appeared to be water damage. I closed my door to the thick cigarette smoke wafting from the office downstairs, but it still gets in around the rice paper doors very badly.

There was a "kitchen" available, but it only has a small fridge, toaster, and water kettle. This is the first guest house I've experienced to not have a stove, which being vegetarian in Japan is a big negative.

There are two baths, and the tiles are sulfur worn as other reviewers mentioned. However, I also found the baths to be sub-par in terms of cleanliness. There are towels available, but if you do stay here and actually choose to bathe I would advise bringing your own.

For me I was absolutely heartbroken the place is 100% smoking because this was supposed to be the highlight to end my time in Japan. Instead I spent my last day moving to a new hotel. I didn't even bother to ask for a refund because I was so finished with terrible hotels/hostels/guest houses in Japan.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank peaceloveelina
Reviewed 11 May 2016 via mobile

The location of Minshuku Katsuya is super-excellent. From JR Shirahama Station (Bus Stop S-01), take Bus 12 or 30 to Shirahama Beach Stop (S-15) and then walk forward (to the South) along the road for only 30 meters, turn left and walk for another 100 meters. You will see Minshuku Katsuya on your left at the T-junction.

Rooms are a bit old, but clean and cozy. Shared toilets are available for both Japanese type and western type (which I recommend Western, unless you are young and don’t have knee problem). Bed and futon are very comfortable, heater is provided free of charge but air-condition is coin-operated.

Small Japanese garden in the middle of the house is very nice. We can see and admire it from corridor in front of guestrooms.

There are 2 bathrooms with door lock and you can enjoy onsen yourself of you are not used to when there are not many guests in the minshuku. Onsen here is very comfortable.

In conclusion, I think Minshuku Katsuya is excellent value for your money. I paid only 7,700 yen + 300 yen for tax a night for Japanese Twin Room and it’s worth every yen. I will definitely stay here again

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple