See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 December 2016

I have stayed IZUTSUYA many times.
To stay this Ryokan (Japanese style Hotel) is general events for my family.
At least we stay once a year.
Always they gives us nice food, room and hospitality service.
and this is unchanged since I have visited first time.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2016

Stayed here with my girlfriend one night. The course included access to all the baths, a great crab and beef dinner, traditional breakfast and of course a night in a tatami room.

Location: In a charming village surrounded by mountains. A few minute walk away there's a river where you can cook your own onsen-tamago (eggs), corn and other vegetables or just kick off your shoes and dip your feet in a warm channel with water (not the same as the one you cook food in). Add some minutes to the walk to get to some stairs leading to the top of one of the surrounding hills, which will give you a nice view of town. There's a good tourist information next to the river and a mini sake museum (just the size of a room, but still interesting if you are into sake) next to the tourist information. We found the location of the hotel very convenient.

Room: Traditional tatami-room facing the village. There was a narrow balcony as well if you like to get outside. Rooms was very clean and spacious.

Onsen quality: Several baths offered here - on the roof top outdoors or indoors, private or public. Also some very neat onsen on the ground floor.

Facilities :Most people probably come here for the onsen, but there's karaoke, a small game center and a Japanese pub (I believe) among other things, so more than enough for the average traveler staying only one or two nights.

Food: Absolutely splendid - both tastewise and visually. Traditional Japanese setting with more tiny bowls than you care to count. Absolutely nothing to complain about here.

Service: Perfect Japanese service. This is hospitality as you expect when in a ryokan in Japan. Flawless.

Bottom-line: Will be more than happy to go to Izutsuya again, both for the hotel itself but also for the nice village. Also, we didn't find it too expensive, as many ryokan tend to hit a higher price range.

On a side note: Not sure if the staff speaks English. We only spoke Japanese during our stay. WiFi in the lobby.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christian J
Reviewed 30 May 2015

We stayed there for 2 nights because we went snowboarding in Hyogo area from Osaka (Hatchi kita and sky valley). We didnt expect anything as the price was quite low (around 30000 yen per night for 2 persons with dinner and breakfast). But when we checked in, i was already amazed with the scale of the hotel, it was definitely a 5-star quality hotel. Our room (even with such low rate) already have private onsen. Dinner and breakfast were also in traditional Japanese style with your own private room in the restaurant. Their onsen is also big and very nice as they have different pools for you to enjoy, both indoor and outdoor.
Their service is excellent and almost made you feel uncomfortable sometimes - i remember we wanted to go out walking in the street with the traditional japanese wooden slippers. But it was snowing heavily that day and the staff even wanted to accompany us and hold umbrellas for us. We have to refuse politely as their service is really "too good" sometimes.
If you are staying in Hyogo area for ski or snowboard - this is one of the best choice you can possibly find. Although it may not be right at the ski sites (20-min drive to reach different ski sites nearby), but with this price and quality - it is unbeatable.
i would definitely stay here again if i have the chance!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mk_ayw
Reviewed 28 January 2015

Was really nice to stay here again, but this time with Family (and young kids). Still did not disappoint.

Same great and warm reception! This time though we stayed in a Tatami Room so that my children can experience sleeping in the Traditional Tatami room instead of a Hotel room.

We however chose to have our meals downstairs in their restaurants, the inroom meals are a bit pricey. I also don't recommend getting these big Tatami rooms for smaller groups, it would not be cost effective I think.

I have reviewed the Izutsuya before already, but I just want to add a few more details specially for foreign guests. Actually I have never seen a foreign guest in this Ryokan, ever, but I strongly recommend this if you are after a great traditional Ryokan. All other Onsen resorts that I would go to will be compared to Izutusya!

Getting there: I am not sure how best to get to the place, because I usually come from Toyooka City and brought by our Host. I understand the nearest Station is Hamasaka Station.
Then take a bus or Taxi to Yumura Onsen.

Yukata: They will give you a Yutaka when you arrive in your room, the hostesses will check if your Yukata is the right length, they even had small ones for my kids. I am still to date, confused as to how to wear Yukata, so best to ask the Hostess to help you, at least on which side of the top goes under and which one goes over. I was told that foreigners are really allowed a lot of lee way on mistakes about this. I was told that depending if you are Male or Female you one side goes over the other side. Then worse I was told that if you wear it incorrectly it is not ideal as only the Dead wears it like that (opposite). So please ask your hostess to help you.

ONSEN: Of course before you go in the pool you are supposed to scub and shower first. The small towel that they give you is for scrubbing your body and to cover parts of your body you might be shy to show. But Don't bring the Towel into the bath, when you enter the bath you can either put it on the side or on top of your head, but never dip the towel in the bath. The concept is that you have scrubbed your body with it, so it's a bit dirty.

Some Onsen do not allow people with Tattoos, I am not so sure about Izutsuya, please check first when reserving.

KIDS: If going to Onsen with kids, best to tell them not to play around and not to treat the bath as a swimming pool. No noise, no Horse play and no Swimming. It is a place to relax. I was lucky as my Kids had to join their Mom instead of me. But while at the Baths, I did see some kids with their father, and the Japanese kids would also still swim and run around, but it was tolerable and the father made sure they were not too rowdy. By the way, it was my kids' first time to try Onsen and they LOVED it!

If you want more privacy, I think they also rent out private baths upstairs for Y10,000 or so for a few hours. I think that is good value, you get your privacy. You can also rent the room as a couple for a Honeymoon or something.

Lastly, and I just learned this during this trip. Izutsuya is in the Shinonsen area where Yumura Osen is. Actually from what I understand Yumura onsen is the main source of Hot Spring water for the resorts around the area, including Izutsuya.

You can visit Yumura Onsen site, just by going down where the Onsen baths are in the resort, and then going outside, the resort provide slippers and umbrellas as well for this. You walk down and cross a street and you are there. It's nice and peaceful and you can even boil your own egg and dip your feet in the hot spring water. I am going to make a review of the place right after I finish this review.

Oh, one more thing, I have never encountered internet access in the resort, which I think is a good thing, makes for a better and relaxing stay :)

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My stay was basically for business but as we arrived on a weekend, our host booked us at Izutsuya or Itutuya. The Hostess welcomed us when we arrived and we were given authentic fresh green tea. The Hostess spoke english and after showing us to our room, gave us a tour of the facilities, where the baths are and where we will have dinner and breakfast.

I was told that typically Japanese prefer to go to the hot spring tubs 3 times, once before dinner, once after dinner and the last before breakfast the next day. After one soak and having dinner, we were all relaxed and tired and only got to do the pre breakfast soak.

Some tips I learned, best to remove all jewelry and stuff, including watches and even eyeglasses (unless you really can't walk around with glasses). Leave them all in your room or in lockers provided.

I only got to go to the two main baths of this resort, the two baths are designated for Men and the other for women, but they switch the next day so that everyone can try the two main baths. I like going out on the outdoor baths as the cold air cools the head while the body is soaking in very warm water. There was even a nice wooden bath with Jasmine scent at the women's bath, which I got to try the next day.

Dinner and breakfast was usual great Japanese food and presentation. Don't get this wrong coz I used the worse "usual" I meant, the food is what one expects in a nice resort in Japan, so that is saying a lot already.

Our room was quite big, twin sharing with my wife, even has it's own humidifier. This resort still employs a Refrigerator that has sensors, so that when you pull something out, you can't put it back in already and it will be charged to your room, it also gets locked after you checkout, I couldn't open it anymore to take the complimentary bottle of water after most of our group started checking out. If ever you accidentally pulled out a drink and you didn't intend to drink it, just inform the resort.

One thing that the Hostess told us after touring is the first day, she said, oh, no need to lock your door, everyone is honest here. Of course they are, but then force of habit still made us lock our doors anyway.

There is no Internet available, that I know in this resort.

Room Tip: If you are with your family, specially kids and they want to try the hot spring baths, you can reserve one of the upper level baths (which I didn't get to try) for Y1000 for 3 hours, this way the whole family can enjoy the baths with each other's company. It makes for a romantic bath as well for couples. They do have a small Children's play area for the kids while the adults are in the baths.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple