All reviews train station living room thoroughly enjoyed our stay stayed longer great hospitality korean skiing reputation slopes winter mountains snow meals japan dinner season prefecture
Reviewed 7 July 2015 via mobile

My family and I had a great time at Tenjin Lodge. The host were friendly and it was nice being able to mingle with other guests at the communal dining hall. Location of the Lodge is very convenient. It is near the ropeway to Mt Tanigawadake and there are nice hiking trails nearby. We did an easy hike up to see the glacier.

Date of stay: July 2015
1  Thank lolikia
Reviewed 28 March 2015

I have stayed twice at Tenjin Lodge and love it. The atmosphere is relaxed and communal. The mix of people that stay here is great- people from everywhere! The staff of Tenjin are warm, knowledgable, and go out of their way to help their guests not just enjoy the area of Tanigawa Dake but all of Japan.

Date of stay: March 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank BdetteL
Reviewed 19 March 2015

The atmosphere felt communal and very relaxed. The staff were all kind and knowledgable about the area. It has a great location for more advanced skiing, but the beginner hills are about thirty minutes away(ish). The (not private) tatami rooms were a little cramped and do not have hot water. There were no towels so bring your own. The bath in the basement was relaxing. I would be wary of the extras. This warm atmosphere was somewhat jarring compared to the eight hundred yen I paid for eggs and white toast and coffee with little else. This left me with the wondering feeling of what else might be overpriced, but I was too busy enjoying the snow.

Room tip: best to choose a private room
Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank blankman8979
Kieren M, Owner at Tenjin Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2017

Just saw this individual's review and think I ought to clarify a few things. The individual was not in a private room as he came in with a group who booked out the whole lodge. In normal situations, all our rooms are private except for our Bunk room which is clearly labelled a shared dormitory. As for the bathing here at the lodge, it is shared and that is clearly stated. Its not possible to find accommodation within a half hour drive with a private bathroom unless you are paying well over double our rates. This has to do with the economics of seasonal mountain lodges which is what we are.
Regarding our breakfast, we serve scrambled eggs or oat meal, coffee/tea, toast, juice and fresh fruit for the grand price of Y800 which is about $7 USD. The only place you could get a more economical breakfast is at a convenience store.
So Blankman, as this individual calls himself, has for some reason decided to cut loose on the internet in a way that I feel misrepresents the true situation here.
The family and I here at the lodge will be most happy if that is the last we see of him.

Reviewed 8 March 2015 via mobile

My wife and i stayed a few days at Tenjin Lodge and were looked after like family by Kieren and Bo. thoroughly enjoyed the day trips around this natural wonderland and coming back to beautiful mixture of hot food and cold ales at the Moon Bear bar! Try out Kierens famous cocktails....from what i remember they were mind altering! Thanks again for your hospitality and we hope to be back again soon! Nathan and edith.

Date of stay: June 2014
1  Thank Nathancastle
Reviewed 21 January 2015

We have spent a week at the Tenjin Lodge is operated by Kieren and Bo
The effort that Kieren and Bo put in to ensure that every guest is happy is incredible. It doesn’t take long to realise that is all natural and they are not doing anything unwillingly. They make every guest feel at home ,from day one. They were there to help the guests with the days skiing, train timetables, couriers to send luggage on , meals ,drinks or any request that was required. Kieren even had a half day snowboarding with us , he does that regularly, with the guests. I would recommend this lodge and destination, to anyone who wants a holiday winter skiing/ snowboarding or for summer trekking and the Minakami Onsen areas Great experience.
Robert

Room tip: All good, rooms are ok
Date of stay: January 2015