All reviews takaragawa onsen mixed gender soup hot springs day trip the river train station free shuttle main building changing rooms shuttle service tatami mats buffet breakfast unique experience beautiful surroundings open hours pork
Reviewed 7 January 2018

We spent Christmas 2017 here. We got lucky and had a perfect snowy Christmas Day, which turned the property into a truly glorious winter wonderland. The onsen cannot be overrated - it really is stunning, and I would definitely recommend a winter visit (though I haven't visited in the summer): nothing can beat sitting in the hot springs at dawn or dusk as the snow falls.

I traveled with a vegetarian, who warned the ryokan, and ate well. I on the other hand had to contend with some dishes that were slightly beyond me - stewed baby octopus and other mysteries - and yes, I refused the bear soup. The restaurant is definitely for the adventurous!

Room Tip: You want a room overlooking the river...
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

Superb mixed onsen (which is super rare), you can easily access from Tokyo thinking well to take their free shuttle!

Lost in the middle of the mountains, you will have the right to beautiful outdoor baths along the river day and night, all in a comfortable hotel. The Japanese style room is very spacious and comfortable and a traditional dinner will be served there. Once the meal is over, we will install your futons (it is above all a ryokan!).

A very beautiful place!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 December 2017

This is my second time to visit Takaragawa Onsen ; I drove a car to the hotel which is easy from Tokyo. Hotel is so beautiful with outdoor onsen. staff are friendly. If you love natural and antique...this hotel is ready to serve you.

Room Tip: hotel with river view is so beautiful.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank PuaypuayP
Reviewed 10 December 2017

this was our last pit stop in japan where we thoroughly enjoyed. didnt even get bored in spending time inside the onsen most of the time. it was a great experience with the onsen. took some time to get comfortable with the temperature of the hot spring.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2017

This place was like a dream, or a perfect film... We were lucky and had snow on the night we stayed there so that when we woke up in the morning and the sun was rising, we had the most beautiful view ever! The outdoor onsen are perfect and once in, it's difficult to come out. The place is very well organised and an enchantment. Very close (1h45 from Tokyo) and easy to reach, it's the perfect place to stay to have of an experience of a lifetime. We will go back next time we go to Japan and I highly recommend anyone spending some time in Tokyo to go there.

Room Tip: The annex is best for the price
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple