All reviews yudanaka station snow monkey park mat winter bath breakfast dinner onsen
Reviewed 20 January 2018

We were there for only 1 night.
Lovely hotel with a true ryokan experience.
Food was excellent and plentiful!
Definitely worth the trip! Short walk to Shibu Onsen and onwards to the snow monkey park!
Didn't use the hotel's hot springs but there are plenty of them around

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2018

This is your typical Japanese onsen ryokan. The main bath area is in the basement with an outdoor bath (roten-buro), as well. The baths are segregated by gender. The women's side was clean and spacious. Body soap, shampoo and after bath body lotions were provided. Be sure to take the little cotton washcloth (tenugui) and towel that's in your room and wash yourself with the cotton tenugui before entering the bath.
My husband said the men's side did not feel all that clean.
The rooms are fine w/ a nice view of the local mountains. As typical for onsen, a fabulous multi-course dinner is brought to your room. After you're done, people typically take a bath and in the meantime, staff will lay out your bedding on the floor. For those of you who are older or not used to sleeping on the floor, you might want to bring a packable backpacking mat. If you go in the winter, there's plenty of heat in the room.
You eat breakfast in their dining room on the floor. They were very kind and provided my husband w/ a raised chair and raised the little table so he could eat comfortably. Breakfast, too, is a multi-course traditional Japanese breakfast. We stayed two nights and they made sure we did not get the same dinner or same breakfast.

The room itself was clean. I would wash the zabuton covers more frequently and run a carpet cleaner over the hall carpets.

The staff is very friendly and helpful and the price was very reasonable given you get a fabulous dinner and breakfast.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2017

Hotel Shirogane is close to the Yudanaka train station (~2 minute walk though a slight hill at the end); has functional and clean rooms; and has helpful staff (though limited English). The only problem I had was that the fluorescent light in my room contained some sort of glow in the dark material so I had to wear an eye mask to sleep.

Room Tip: Call ahead if arriving late!
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 February 2017

This hotel is only 2-minutes' walk from the train station during normal days. But to walk up the slope in snowy weather, it was not easy because the road was slippery.

Reason why I picked this hotel is that they have ensuite bathroom. Not easy to find a hotel with ensuite in this area. Plus I was visiting the snow monkey park. The hotel was close to the bus station.

Because of the cold weather, I decided to stay in the hotel for dinner which was served in my room. They offered a big variety of food each night. Food is very tasty.

This property is a bit old. Staff are all very friendly. The only downside is the heating in the room. I felt cold most of the time. Toilet and bath is located in 2 separate rooms at the hallway of the room. The hallway was freezing as the cold air from the guest corridor came in from underneath the door.

First night hot water in the bath was very hot. But second night was beyond warm. Let the tap run for a long time but only not-so-warm water. The next morning when I turned on the tap again, the water was very hot again. Strange.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

This is a very Japanese experience with the full on tatami mat bedroom and living, with Japanese bath. As a first time experience of the Japanese way of life it was great for my two little Aussies (aged 6 and 11). The onsen is simply the best I have experienced in Japan with the most lovely outdoor pools as well. If you want the real hot springs onsen experience this is the place.
The couple who run the place were fantastic and although we couldn't speak Japanese and they couldn't speak English - it worked well.
In fact, when our eldest son got quite ill on Christmas Eve they first tried to find us a doctor and, when that didn't work, the gentleman took us himself in his own car to the hospital about half an hour away and waited with us to bring us back to the hotel!
Truly service above and beyond the expected.
A great base for a visit to the snow monkeys - we would definitely return.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family