“Nothing at all to grumble about here”

Springfield Hotel & Health Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pentre Halkyn
Estreito da Calheta, Portugal
“Nothing at all to grumble about here”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I stayed for 5 nights on a swimming course (which was also great - thanks Steve of Swim Inns). The staff were all friendly and helpful. My room (7) was at the rear of the older part of the buiding and was very quiet, so much so that I overslept until nearly 9 one morning! I didn't have any creaky floors like some reviews say, only occasional plumbing noises but you get that in all hotels, don't you? I can't say anything about rooms in the newer wing except that those at the front could have traffic noise from the busy A55 which is close by. The bedroom was large, as was the bathroom & shower, with comfortable beds. The room TV had all feeeview channels and there was Sky sports in the bar. Dinner was terrific, very tasty and satisfying, I ate far too much, and breakfast was good too. The view from the front garden is great, especially on a nice day. There is a nice warm swimming pool and a small gym.
I can't think of anything to complain about here and would recommend it to anyone.
The hotel is in countryside, not near anything else so if you want to be somewhere lively or don't have a car then it might not suit you.

Room Tip: A room at the rear will be quieter
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We were travelling to North Wales on business and made a spur of the moment decision to stay over. We found the hotel via Late Rooms. The room was large and clean with a nice modern bathroom. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The evening meal was fantastic - both main courses and deserts were top notch. Breakfast was again great. Looking at the previous reviews maybe the hotel has been refurbished and taken on a new chef since they were posted as we couldn't fault anything. We would definately stay again if we were in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank annieb456
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2011

A one night stay. This was a last minute find. We enjoyed our stay and the facilities of the new health spa were great. Outstanding food for our evening meal with lots of choices on the menu . We were allocated a family room which was located at the rear of the hotel so had no problems with the main road which does provide good access links into North Wales and Chester.

My only disppointments were related to overall cleaniness and quality of the room
1) Duvet cover on the bed was not clean in the corners
2) Dated though functional furniture in the room but the bathroom was more up to date with a good shower.
3) Very creaky floorboards. Inevitably had to use the bathroom during the night and was trying my best to tip toe to the bathroom without making a lot of noise because when your neighbours moved it sounded like they were in the room with you the floors creaked so loudly.
4) Cleaners were working in the room next door rather early in the morning on a bank holiday which coupled with the creaky floorboards woke me up.
5) evidence of carpet burns

Saying that would consider staying again if we were in the area as overall it was good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with non creaky floorboards :-)
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
basingstoke
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my 12 yr old son, and the prime reason was to learn how to swim at the ripe old age of 58. We had a twin room, which although was in need of updating, it was clean and large, with a bath come shower en suite. We stayed for 5 days, on half board. Even after my swimming lessons I couldn't eat all of the large, and very good meals that were served in the evening/ The restaurant had a very nice feeling to it, and all of the staff were very friendly and helpful. To top it all the lessons taken in the hotel's pool were terrific and I was able to get over my aquaphobia and swim a length, by the end of my stay. If I am ever again in this area, I will defintely stay here again.
PS google Swim Inns if you want to learn how to swim.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Llanon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2011

On arriving I was concerned that the hotel was close to the main road, but this just added to the convience. I had booked on line so was not sure what standard I would really be getting. I had a lovely Kingsize bed, nice room and lovely corner bath. But my reason for writing this review is to say please please please go for Dinner. As a chef myself I am sometimes very hard to please, but here I was delighted with not only a excellent and difference menu to chose from but also the presentation and quality of the food. As a female travelling alone, I was mad to feel very welcome by everyone and the waitress who served me was very good at her job. But here I am thinking about the chef again and feel he must get a very special thanks for making my stay so enjoyable. I would be very happy to stay and eat at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
The Beaches Hotel
The Beaches Hotel
#2 of 3 in Prestatyn
9.4 km away
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
8.7 km away
Northop Hall Country House Hotel
3.6 km away
Mountain Park Hotel
Mountain Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Flint

Been to Springfield Hotel & Health Club? Share your experiences!