1,287 results
All reviews garden wing italian garden milton hill manor house the main house free coffee leisure facilities biscuits lovely grounds de vere hotel changing rooms sauna and steam room bar menu on the small side weekend break evening meal bar area
Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

This was a repeat visit for my partner on New Years Eve. We arrived early to be shown to one of the “Cottage” rooms which was completely unsatisfactory, being dated and the bathroom filthy and not cleaned. However we would like to thank the Duty Manager, Lee, who dealt very promptly with our issues and moved us to one of the garden rooms in the annex which was obviously more recently redecorated and was clean and comfortable. The evening meal and music were great and we had a thoroughly good time. The room and tables were beautifully decorated. The waiters and waitresses were extremely efficient and dealt quickly with any minor requests we had. Perhaps the new owners would do well to look at the general decoration of both the hotel and some of the rooms as these are due a refurbishment. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Ben S, General Manager at Milton Hill Abingdon, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2018

Dear Rob,

Thank you for your review of Milton Hill, I was really pleased to read you enjoyed the New Years Eve party. I am of course sorry that you were disappointed with your bedroom and I'm glad that Lee was able to rectify this swiftly.

We are currently in the process of planning refurbishment works now that the transition to our new owners is complete.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

This was the second New Years Eve party our group of six have attended - last year was so good that we re-booked for 2017 but decided to stay overnight this year. The positives were that the food, like last year, was fantastic - it was served in a timely manner, lovely and hot and plenty of it. However, we will not be returning to stay - we were allocated "garden rooms" - walking through the Italian gardens we were confronted by a Stalingrad looking building block complete with intense security lighting. The state of this building and the rooms we were allocated were appalling. The rooms were extremely dirty (do not look behind the radiators!!!) and either boiling hot in one or freezing cold in the other - no attempts to change this via the radiator controls made any difference. The furniture and wooden windows were badly damaged and past their sell by date, broken light bulbs did not help the darkness of the rooms either. Bathrooms were encrusted with limescale and again not very clean. No toiletries other than a small wall mounted container over the bath and by the basin - one of which was empty! Rusty towel rails and towels which were extremely old and very rough. We also had the addition of a huge clock in the bathroom of room 20 - extremely odd and not even stating the correct time!! Only one chair in each room meant that someone had to sit on the bed yet hotel photographs show two chairs! To make matters worse on New Years day it was impossible to have a shower as the thermostat was so encrusted with limescale it could not be operated correctly and only produced cold water! Staff worked extremely hard on the evening but one of the young female reception staff needs some serious customer service training - extremely unhelpful! The hotel has apparently been bought by the Compass group and hopefully they will put forward a refurbishment programme although to be honest the building is so ugly it just needs to be pulled down - it is such a shame as the main manor house is lovely. One of the few hotels we have stayed in where you felt like wiping your feet when you left!!!

Room tip: Only stay in the main house
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Thamesview29

Dear Thamesview,

Thank you for your review of Milton Hill. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the New Years Eve party.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your bedroom and equally sorry you felt unable to discuss your feedback regarding the room with me before checking out.

Thank you again for your review.

Regards,

Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

This is 3rd time I have stayed at this hotel for New Year. We expect it to be brilliant and it doesnt fail to deliver...Fantastic staff and amazing food. Really enjoyed our stay... 10 out of 10 again. Great value.. book early as this gets sold out.

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Jean,

Thank you very much for your kind review, I am really pleased you had a fantastic night on New Years Eve. The feedback we have had from all guests has been overwhelmingly positive and we're busy planning this years party as I type my reply.

We look forward to welcoming you back later this year.

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Just back from a second stay at the Milton Hill and sadly disappointed.

It has noticeably lost the De Vere hotel standard!!

Surprised to see badly stained white fabric chairs / seating offered. Corridor carpets stained and smelt musty.

Bedroom information about the hotel in tatty plastic wallets still stating De Vere were the last company who took over this hotel, abit of an insult to De Vere, as I am sure that they would be saddened at the current housekeeping and general appearance of what could be such a gorgeous hotel.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dorsetshire1

Dear Dorsetshire,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Milton Hill.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay and that you felt unable to share your comments with me in person.

Reviewed 31 December 2017

Stayed here a few times on business trips.

On first arrival, I thought I had gone to the wrong place, as I pulled up in front of what looks like a large country house. There is plenty of parking. I walked through the large oak doors, where reception was indicated to be, and was even more impressed by the highly polished antique decorations. Check in was quick and efficient. However I was given a map and directions to reach my room! You can easily get lost and I did a couple of times. I walked through the great wooden corridors and my heart sank as I was faced with what looked like a prison block hidden at the rear of the hotel. You enter using your room key for security.

On reaching the room though, I was relieved to find it was really very nice. As you enter, there was a cupboard on the right with an iron board, iron and safe with the tea and coffee facilities on a tray, which I put on the table. It was not a dressing table though, and it was quite small, there was no power point near to enable me to plug my computer in and work from there.

Bathroom was also very clean and well appointed. There was a very nice view of the grounds and the surrounding area, which was very peaceful. I had a walk around the grounds and the Italian Garden before my evening meal, very relaxing. There is a pool, which also looked really pleasant.

One thing I really liked was the little coffee room with a coffee machine that served cappuccino's and latte's or tea, if you wanted it. There was also fruit, which you could help yourself to, when you wanted any. I got myself a latte and sat in the Italian Garden, enjoying the peace and quiet after a long and tough day at work.

The food was great and the restaurant very atmospheric and romantic with dim lighting. Although, I did find the menu a little limited and overpriced, as were the drinks.

The bed was very comfortable and I slept well in the quiet surroundings. However, the second visit I was put in a family room in a small section of the hotel at the side. The room was very large with a small side room with bunk beds for children. The room was great but it had very noisy floorboards for the room above and there were quite noisy people staying there. I had to complain about the noise on the first night as it seems they were having a party upstairs. The night porter contacted the room and the noise lowered a little.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and I will stay here again, when in the Didcot area.

Room tip: The extension block is not as bad as it looks.
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Currymonster,

Thank you very much for your 5 star review of Milton Hill.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next visiting Oxfordshire.