“Absolutely fab time had by all!!!”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The Ship Inn

Bedroom 7
Bedroom 8
Bedroom 9
Bedroom 10
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
sarahscho...
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fab time had by all!!!”
Reviewed 30 January 2014 for a stay in January 2014
person found this review helpful

The ship is an excellent house for a large group get together. It is extremely well equipped and had everything we could have wish for. There was 30 of us for my 50th birthday of varying ages from 16 months to 70 years and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. We would definitely recommend this brilliant house to anybody and would love to go back there in the future!!! Thank you very much Mark.

Travelling group: Extended Family
31 Jan 2014
Thank you very much for those kind words. There is much work goes on behind the scenes and it is hearing that it makes a difference to special occasions in peoples lives that make it all worth while. Hope to see you all again in the future. Mark
KellyW20
“Family Xmas Party”
Reviewed 10 December 2013 for a stay in December 2013
person found this review helpful

Great facilities in a great location. We had 4 children aged 3-7 who loved it and refused to leave the house. The second living room and all the toys and games provided made it a haven for them. Showers were really powerful and the bath is amazing. Christmas decorations were a total surprise and really made our Christmas celebration an unforgettable one

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
7 Jan 2014
Thanks Kathryn. You have my lovely cleaning team to thank for putting up all the decorations and indeed even old scrooge that I am got in the festive spirit when I was there! Anyway thrilled you had a ball and look forward to welcoming you back soon. Mark
Carole L
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Just Brilliant”
Reviewed 8 November 2013 for a stay in November 2013
people found this review helpful

I would personally dismiss the previous review on this property as I found none of what was complained about to be truthful, the complaint regarding cleanliness is not only unjustified but I would regard it as a personal slur to the owner and to the team of ladies he has to clean and make the property comfortable.
I am a well seasoned traveler and stay in hotels and rental accommodation every week of the year so see everything from 2* to 5* and this property certainly deserves a 5*.
The lounge and kitchen area are more than adequate offering space and comfort for your every need. There were 26 in our party and every single person from the ages of 64 down to 3 had a totally fantastic weekend. There is enough room in the kitchen for everybody to be seated at once and thanks to the great chip shop directly opposite meal times were quick and easy, there are enough plates, cutlery and glass's for everybody and all match which is an exception in holiday rentals where some owners feel it's ok to just put bric a brac in. The beds are top quality and offer a full orthopedic mattress ensuring a good nights sleep with perfectly plump pillows and comfortable bed linen. Towels are provided, both hand and bath with extra's in the linen cupboard should you need more. The lounge is fantastic offering a projector showing Sky TV (big hit for Sat Football) a music system, TV, DVD 4 sofa's and a chair. The pool area was a big bonus and killer pool was a great laugh. We had two great party nights to celebrate my **th birthday and cannot recommend this property enough. The house is a short walk to the beach, even in November you can walk off the cobwebs and go hunting in the rock pools, there is a CO-OP directly opposite should you need any provisions, a great bakers only a few shops along, Morrisons is 2 mins in the car so all your party ice etc can be bought there, LLandudno and Conwy are a short drive away and for those people who like the outdoor life Snowdonia is maybe 20 mins in the car. We as a family and individually with other friends will be returning to The Ship-------JUST BRILLIANT-------

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Just about everything.
Liked least: Going home and having to go to work the next day!
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
10 Nov 2013
Carole,
THank you so much for your glowing review. I am thrilled and I know Eleanor will be especially pleased as punch with your feedback on her efforts that so easily go overlooked. Thx again.
Mark
Bubblegtt
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed 28 October 2013 for a stay in September 2013
people found this review helpful

Letter sent to Sykes Cottages and duly passed on to the owner:

We have now returned from our week away in the Ship Inn in Old Colwyn and although I have never felt the need to complain about a holiday home that we have stayed in with yourselves and others in Wales, this time I certainly have to. I appreciate that some properties may not be 100% and some faults may have been overlooked, but here is a list that we found:

Bedroom 12
1. Sash cord broken
2. Door handles loose
3. One missing light bulb

Bedroom 11
1. Damp to external wall (mould)

Bedroom 10

6. Shelf hanging off
7. Cracked window

Bedroom 3
1. Damp on wall
2. Door handle came off, trapping guests inside (temp repair done by us)

Bedroom 2
1. Radiator not working

Bedroom 1
1. Smell of fumes from the locked, but not shut properly door in the corner
2. Rustling at night from rodents
3. No net curtains, so no privacy from the general public standing outside at the bus stop

Bathroom 1

2. Windows broken

Jacuzi bathroom
1. Bath plug broken - difficult to empty
2. Damp over shower

Shower room next to boiler
1. Bulb blown

Games room
1. No net curtains, so no privacy from people standing/sitting outside waiting for a bus

Car Park
This is used by other people and is supposed to be for guests and take 20 cars. Next door neighbour, funeral director and others parked in there. One of the reasons for booking this property was the large car park for our club

Courtyard
1. The barbeque was very rusty and unappealing
2. The gate blew off one night and was found the next morning across the pavement into the road
3. A slate blew off the roof narrowly missing our club chairman

General cleanliness
1. Not up to sufficient standard
2. Drinks bottle found on landing
3. Dishwasher had dirty crockery inside
4. Leak from kitchen sink onto the shelf underneath
5. Mouse droppings on shelf under sink
6 Mouse seen often in the kitchen and rustling heard at night
7. Uneven and loose floor boards with some protruding nails etc.

I am sure that you will agree that this is some list and obviously not a full inspection. For the price that our club paid for this week away, we are far from happy. It seems that Mark Sanders can only be contacted by text message and never answers his phone.

On arrival we were an hour late in collecting the keys, although I did send a text to Mr sanders and he did phone back once. With a noisy car and bad phone signal, my wife didn't hear fully about the key box and its code. This resulted in most of our party waiting in the rain for an hour, while I repeatedly tried to both phone and text Mr Sanders, who finely returned my call and we could get inside the property.

In light of all the above faults, we felt that it was not worth trying to contact Mr Sanders, as there were far too many faults to rectify during our stay. I am though seeking a substancial refund of the cost of hiring the house.

I have never felt the need to make a written complaint before and seek a refund, but this time I will on behalf of the Skyline Owners Club Ltd.

*************************************************************************************************

Today I have finely got our £400 damage deposit back from the owner after several requests by Sykes cottages on my behalf. The owner Mr Sanders has refused any sort of refund in regard to the above issues with the property, saying that if we had told him while we were there, he would have addressed them.

Sykes Cottages have remained professional in this matter and I have had several conversations with them on the phone and would be happy to use them again. I
have suggested that they take the Ship Inn off their books, as both the property and the owner do not do them any favours. I have told Sykes that there are sites such as trip advisor and that if Mr Sanders does not offer a partial deposit, then other prospective tenants should be made aware of his attitude.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Spaciousness
Liked least: The mice and their droppings.
Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
30 Oct 2013
Firstly may I say I am deeply saddened that you did not enjoy your stay at 'The Ship' as most every other group has done. I don't feel it is in anyones' interest to respond to each individual issue (although I did to Sykes). I do not for one instance claim 'The Ship' is perfect. It is not. Nor is my home, nor I guess the home of most people, especially those that are hundreds of years old, 12 bedroomed and 6000+ sq ft and let to groups EVERY week. Had I been contacted about any of these issues DURING the tenancy I would certainly have been able to sort easily, mostly over the phone. This list was provided only HAVING LEFT the property requesting compensation. Due to a two week holiday in the USA I had two groups in AFTER this but BEFORE I got to look at this list of complaints and they gave 5* reports and identified NONE of the issues identified here. I take 'The Ship' itself and the welfare of its guests seriously and I guess it is down to each reader to assess the magnitude of each of the issues for themselves and judge it against the property as a whole which, being hundreds of years old is not PERFECT but is still ONE HELL OF A PLACE to get together with friends and family.
Amy G
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
“what a fantastic place”
Reviewed 24 October 2013 for a stay in September 2013

35 people (aged 1 to 60+) travelled to the ship inn for a weekend to celebrate 2 40th birthdays, we were all so impressed with the ship inn it was so warm and comfortable and and everyone had a fantastic time, the bedrooms were soooooo comfy everyone commented on how comfy the massive beds were, the kitchen was well equipped and the lovely bathrooms were great. the pool table was a massive it, only down side was that the huge projector screen was out of action, but we managed without it ,we are defiantly going to make a returned visit!!!!!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: the huge living ara
Liked least: the properties security
Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
5 Nov 2013
Thank you so much for taking the effort to review the Ship and again thank you for your understanding about the failure of the projector. I have a new one in there now and indeed have the original back as a back up so hopefully better prepared for the future. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future if you fancy a re-visit!
Mark
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing