“A gem of a hotel”
Review of Aultbea Hotel

Aultbea Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Aultbea
Reviewed 28 September 2017

Having just read the recent reviews of this hotel, it is hard to add another superlative. The guys running it are friendly and helpful. The food in The Fat Whippett was wonderful, and the Convoy Bar was a cosy place for a pre dinner sampling of yet another Scottish gin. The view from the restaurant at dinner and breakfast was stunning. We would have stayed longer than one night if we had the time. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: Room 10 has expansive views of the loch.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

This hotel is a gem - simple and stylish in the most beautiful location. The rooms are traditional yet chic. The food on offer is amazing local, quality produce. The menu is limited but by far made up for with quality. Offers fine dining experience in the restaurant as well as cosy bistro meals in the Convoy tavern. Most importantly, the ambiance created, especially in the evenings, is reminiscent of a classy house party - warm, inviting with attentive service - looking forward to a perfectly concocted Old Fashioned on our next trip to Wester Ross!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

We have now been to this restaurant 8 times during our visits to Wester Ross and I cannot fault the food at all it is superb ,these guys rally know their craft and deserve all the awards they can get.
Hope to be back next year to see you again

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2017

What a lovely place to stay, views were amazing, staff were really friendly and breakfast was ace! plus the lady who served us at breakfast was perfect with everything, wished I had asked her name to enable her to read this, what an asset to the hotel she is!

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

We.arrived looking for a drink but also to check out the dining in the bistro and restaurant.
Nice welcome and good range of local gins.
Really nice atmosphere, beautifully appointed bar area and bistro clearly popular and the hotel part was extremely masterfully done with a really thoughfully done restaurant with Windows onto the water. Both menus, bistro and the fine dining in the restaurant were v tempting and clearly a lot of thought had gone into then.
So why the hero to zero moment...
I went to order more drinks and book a table in the restaurant for another night deciding it was time my ten year  old began to educate his palate and join his parents in their life long love of dining.
In a not busy bar (one man sat already served and myself ready to be served) a diner from the bistro came over to add dips to his food order.
He was served first despite clearly being the later arrival but at least I got an acknowledgment of I'll be with you in a moment.

Diner departing order made I sat expectantly smiling however the waitress brought through another European trio who wanted to make a dining reservation but were unsure whether to make it in bistro or bar.

They again took precedence, for a discussion of pros and cons while I sat, and sat.
No second acknowledgment, or casual apologetic head nod.
Ignore the customer once shame on you, ignore the customer twice shame on me.

I returned to my table, we left  with regret.

So we would have stayed for at least another two rounds of drinks, booked the restaurant  for another night and then been back another time for the bistro especially as being locally situated with friends here.
But clearly the visitors from outside the uk took precedence or the fact that it is popular already means they can be more complacent and choose to alienate a few.
All very sad and avoidable especially as I really loved the place until then.
I would have said something before we left but was too sad to risk being blanked a third time.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Alison B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aultbea
17.6 km away
8.1 km away
Poolewe Hotel
Poolewe Hotel
#1 of 1 in Poolewe

Been to Aultbea Hotel? Share your experiences!