1,040 results
All reviews lovely hotel swimming pool afternoon tea new forest short break red letter cakes lovely setting peppa pig world evening meal relaxing stay beautiful grounds wedding venue the general manager wedding guests wedding breakfast restaurant staff
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

I have stayed at all the hotels in this chain. As usual they did me proud and I had another perfect stay. I came with my dog for a quiet break I got just that. Service and food were fantastic, room comfortable and well presented, food was lush.
I will be back for sure.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Debbie M
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Spent a night in this beautiful New Forest Hotel owned by New Forest Hotels for the last 35 years. Surrounding are idyllic and stylish. The staff are so welcoming and friendly and seem to be genuinely happy in their work. Dinner and breakfast were second to none and the whole stay very reasonably priced. Definitely one visit I will be returning to with much pleasure.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2018

We are a family of 4 - 2 kids, 2 adults and arrived at the start of the Spring Bank Holiday when a wedding was on. First impressions were great. The location is idyllic. Beautiful manicured gardens, greenery all around, birds of all types in the trees - all looks great. We were greeted and checked in by Frances who was very helpful. We had a family room, which we found to be on the small side, but manageable for a short trip. Inside, the corridors have frayed carpets that look dated and stuffy. Breakfast the following day was not great. We had a 30 min wait for the hot breakfast. The staff kept apologising and the buffet despite efforts to continuously restock kept running out due to the sheer volume of guests and small buffet. The following day we arrived extra early, but the same happened again. Toast arrives, there's no butter on the table, takes 10 mins to fetch the butter and the toast is cold in the mean time etc. We had dinner there and the food was lovely - but they kept us waiting for puddings for long despite only 2-3 tables being occupied. The staff were trying their best which made us feel sorry - a management failure given the number of guests are known in advance. Frances met us at breakfast and chatted to us explaining there were 4 weddings that weekend which probably explains what happened. The final day we went to the pool which was small but nice. The children loved it.

The billing did not go well. Someone else's drinks and food bill were included in our bill and it took some time to sort it all out which was frustrating.

Overall, it has 3 stars for the fabulous location. Paulton's Park is around the corner, the town of Lyndhurst is not far with plenty of restaurants, Brockenhurt offers cycle hires in the woods and the White Hart pub nearby was lovely. The hotel has so much potential - with some extra staffing and investment it can be brilliant.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing are best if there is a wedding and you do not want to be disturbed by the noise
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a deal with Paultons park, though I'm unsure why this place offers it as it's not the most child friendly hotel. We had a family room which was very tired looking small but it was clean and served a purpose. For an old building it had thin walls and we could hear the baby in the room next door crying as if it were in our room. Also it turned out we were above the pool and the pump made a loud annoying hum in our room from about 6am. The swimming pool was ok if its just you in it as it's very small and the floor was so slippery going in I fell over. Breakfast was ok. We went down half way through service and all the orange juice was gone and the cereals had seen better days. I did mention the room noise when I left, the receptionist agreed it would annoy her too and said I should have called down and asked them to turn the pump off! The hotel grounds look amazing and had the weather been nice we might have had a chance to look round. I don't think we would stay here again though.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2018

Pros:
- Good food in the restaurant, reasonably priced
- Beautiful setting and grounds

Cons
- We stayed for two nights and there were loud weddings each evening, with loud music pumping until late and people talking loudly right outside our window until past midnight (both nights!). We received no prior notification that weddings would be taking place when we booked.
- Slow service (perhaps as the staff were focused on the weddings). Took over 40 minutes to bring us a small snack from the kitchen on Saturday afternoon.
- Generally a tired interior. Stains on the carpet in our room and a thick, polyester duvet that was far too hot in the summer
- Bathroom not cleaned thoroughly between nights
- Lack of hot water in the afternoon when my wife tried to take a shower

To conclude, I was very disappointed by this stay. We spent a lot of money (>£500) for what was meant to be a relaxing weekend in the countryside, but turned into two stressful late nights. I couldn't help get the feeling that the hotel were prioritising the weddings over their paying guests who were just an afterthought. Would not visit again.

Stayed: June 2018