“Its an OK place”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Old Windsor
CoogMeister
“Its an OK place”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Having read the previous reviews of this hotel I think they must have stayed somewhere else. This is a perfectly nice hotel with very friendly staff. The room I stayed in was lovely and it’s got a nicely appointed gym with a sauna and a swimming pool. The room rate was also very reasonable.
On the other hand the prices charged for food and drink is alarmingly high. They wanted £20 for breakfast and as all I normally eat is a bowl of cereal I figured that I would give it a miss. The worst thing about this hotel is the seemingly random system that they use to number the rooms. Rooms 400 to 438 are on the second floor in block A and rooms 439 to 460 are on the second floor in block B. The problem is that you don’t find that out until after you have spent several minutes wandering around the second floor of the wrong block saying hello to people who are wandering around just as lost as you are. It doesn’t help that the decor everywhere is exactly the same. Trying to find my room reminded me very much of a the film The Cube

I would recommend staying there. The food is OK too but be ready for a big bill.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Andy C
BeaumontHotel, General Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Beaumont House. It was much appreciated, especially with regards to previous reviews and the consideration they may have stayed elsewhere. Whilst I take all feedback from these reviews most seriously, I too agree that within some, I do not recognise Beaumont House either.

It was most appreciated highlighting the cost of breakfast as this indicated a training need in the restaurant as our breakfast should be charged at £14.95 and not the £20.00 you were quoted. I am extremely sorry you received the wrong price and that it caused you to give breakfast a miss. I appreciate that £14.95 is still a high cost for a bowl of cereal but would hope to have enticed you to enjoy a special treat with our full English breakfast or perhaps the wide range of fresh fruits and bakery items that are also available included within the same price.

I'm sorry you found the need to wander in trying to find your room and appreciate the constructive comment regarding all the decor being the same which didn't help. Although this can not be changed immediately, it will certainly be added to our considerations when we are next doing some refurbishments to these areas.

Once again, I do appreciate you taking the time to give feedback and hope to be welcoming you back to Beaumont Estate in the near future.

Julie Hammond

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (970)
  • Hebrew first
essex
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We had booked a one night stay at the weekend using Travelzoo. As having read some previous comments we were open minded to what we would find. On arrival we were impressed by the hotel. We had arrived early but this was no problem to the receptionist who was very friendly and had a room ready, she explained the facilities and gave us a map to find our room, yes as other say you could get lost as its so big , but was it a problem no ! Our room was lovely, modern and clean and much better than expected so thumbs up!
We used the pool and this was an area that we felt it was in need of a facelift, quite drab and a bit musty!
The restaurant was so cold we moved table twice this was quite uncomfortable, when our food arrived we were not impressed and it was cold, we did complain and this was taken on board and was dealt with. Breakfast was adequate!
On the whole I would say the room was good, food bad, staff very helpful, we would stay again but maybe eat elsewhere!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Beaumont House, your kind comments were most appreciated.

I also appreciated your feedback with regards to the pool area and have given your comments to the Leisure Club Manager to ensure any musty smell is dealt with immediately. This is always a concern in pool and gym areas with the natural dampness and humidity and your comments have ensured the area is being re-focused upon. I am sure any musty smell will not be an issue in the future.

My Executive Food & Beverage Manager would like to extend, as would I, our apologies that your dining experience was not what you would have hoped for. However, I am pleased that your complaint was dealt with at the time and comments taken on board. We do empower our staff to react immediately to any guest comments as we would always rather solve any issue at the time, to try and ensure each guest has a pleasant stay. Hopefully, if you are to return again, you will try our restaurant or Tempus Bar Grill one more time and we will redeem our reputation with you.

Thank you again for taking the time to write and we hope to welcome you back to Beaumont House in the future.

Milton Keynes, UK
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Like others, we booked on the travelzoo offer. Rooms were fine - clean and comfortable - although would prefer a more detailed map as we were constantly getting lost. Buffet breakfast was not very nice - cold, hard eggs, poor quality sausages - but there is cereal and pastries. Lots of confusion on Reception with our bookings and pre-payment. Probably fine for a conference or wedding/party but thats about it. Most of the staff do try hard but I didnt notice any support from managment

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank mrandmrsf_10
BeaumontHotel, General Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Beaumont Estate following your recent stay.

I was pleased to read you found your room clean and comfortable and have taken on board your comments regarding the need for a more detailed map to be available. It was disappointing to read your comments regarding breakfast and I can assure you that this is not our normal standard. Your comments have been passed to the Food Services Manager to ensure measures are in place to prevent the eggs ever being served cold or hard and to check the sausage supplier to ensure the highest quality is being delivered.

It's kind of you to comment on the staff trying hard and I will ensure this positive comment is fed back to them, thank you. We will also ensure the Duty Managers are informed regarding the lack of management presence you felt during your stay as I can assure you, management are always on hand to support our staff and ensure guests are looked after during their stay. Please accept my apologies this was not evident during your stay.

Once again, thank you for the feedback, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Yours sincerely

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Have just stayed for one night with friends, this was a Travel Zoo offer and as such you should always accept that some will be better than others. We were about as far from reception as you can be. However if you use a little common sense and check in then drive to the relevant car park there is no problem. A little walk to get to the bar or restaurant is not going to do you any harm. There was a large wedding party plus another couple of bithday parties, these did not interfere with us at all. Dinner was very good and the service was excellent. Only slight complaint was that the restaurant was a little cold. Breakfast was good and pleantiful though orange juice not good, Overall a very pleasant stay and will be looking out for the next offer.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review Beaumont Estate following your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that dinner in the Tempus Restaurant was excellent. I also appreciated the constructive comments and will be looking into the issue with the orange juice and temperature control in the breakfast room with my food service team, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

It will be great to welcome you back to Beaumont Estate, hopefully in the near future.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

This hotel is OK. Not great, just OK, but if you get a good deal and you just want a room for the night don't discount it.

Positives:
Good breakfast
Safety box in room
Lots of hot water

Now for the rest...
When you check in and they give you a map you know you are in for a trek! You will have already walked quite a way from the car park and now you have a long walk to your room. So, pack carefully and use a trolley bag if you have one and put everything in it, if you end up trying to juggle your belongings or carrying a suit on a hanger you will struggle! Otherwise it isn't really a problem (unless you have mobility issues) just a bit of a nuisance, which you might accept if you got a good deal.

The room I had was nothing special but equally nothing to complain about, but as per one of the previous reviews when I got in the bath the side panel fell off! The room was warm but the rest of the hotel was really cold, probably because it is so big to heat.

Room service? No chance! There is a pizza menu in your room, but if you don't want a pizza there is nothing else to order. If you do want a pizza you have to go and get it! You phone up and then they tell you what time to go and collect it, assuming it is not cold by the time you get to your room at least you will have worked it off by the time you eat it! So once again, if you are planning to eat out or in the restaurant this would not be an issue, but if you want a night in you PJs after a hard days work you might find it irritating!

In summary, if you get a good rate, want a reasonable room, pack well, don't mind a long walk and don't want room service then this hotel should not be discounted, if you are expecting a touch of luxury look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
BeaumontHotel, General Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review us following your recent stay and for adding the lists of positives. I appreciated the frankness and objectiveness to your comments.

I do understand your comments regarding the long walk to some of our bedrooms, it can seem such a distance especially after carrying luggage from the car park. I will be reviewing our procedures upon making a reservation with Beaumont Estate as we would normally suggest to all guests that upon arrival at the hotel, they park temporarily at the reception area and avoid unloading luggage until checked-in to their rooms. This way, with 5 car parks surrounding the hotel, our guests are able to drive to the nearest car park to their use the entrance closest to their accommodation. I apologise sincerely that this piece of information was not made available to you prior to your arrival and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Regarding the room service comments, this is an area we continue to review operationally and thank you for your input into this review.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Yours sincerely

4.2 km away
Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
4.3 km away
Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa

Been to De Vere Beaumont Estate? Share your experiences!