All reviewsafternoon teawine cellarstunning hotelroyden parkfront of housespecial occasionbridal suitefive star hoteljacuzzi bathlovely settingwedding plannermain hallfollowing morningriviera restaurantbeautiful housestar servicebeautiful room
Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

What a fantastic place to have a ball!

We attended a Halloween Ball in aid of Mersey Kidney First and Alder Hey Children’s Hospital at Hillbark Hotel and have an absolute Ball.

The hotel is a Grade II listed building and with such you expect there to be some modifications going on, none of which affected the stay, appearance or atmosphere.

The staff were friendly, welcoming and accommodating during our stay. Our room was nicely decorated and overlooked the garden.

Looking forward to next years Ball.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Agnes_Unicorn
Contessa_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Hillbark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Dear Agnes_Unicorn,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience at the fabulous Halloween Ball. We are delighted you had an enjoyable time and stay at Hillbark.

We constantly strive to update our Grade II listed property to the highest of standards with original features but glad that none of these upgrades affected your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

OK, here goes.. The Building is gorgeous, the drinks flowed. Yes there are a few Diy odds n ends that need looking at but guess what, it's 100s of years old, I hope I look that good later in life. The staff were super friendly and happy to accommodate, even went and got me a particular brand of whisky from the residents bar to the main bar so I could enjoy!!
If you have read a review by Liverpoolpompo, ignore it. This was a free night for them, so no comment on costs is relevant, no need for comments on dress as his suit didn't fit.. No need a poor literary attempt at being a critic when your natural instinct is to criticise to 'impress'..
Back to the review:
I would go again, I would stay again, and hope that this time I have the weather to walk round the beautiful grounds in which this gorgeous building stands..

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
5  Thank GULIFLO

Dear GULIFLO,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience at the fabulous Halloween Ball. We are delighted you had an enjoyable time.

Hope you get the opportunity to come again soon, its particularly stunning at Christmas with all the hotel decorated for the festive season.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 1 November 2017

Excellent Halloween event in aid of Mersey Kidney First! Had an absolute ball, great food, drinks and atmosphere!

We weren't lucky enough to stay, but the venue was beautiful and we can't wait to return sometime!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AWeekendEscape

Dear TravelButterfly123,

Hope you get the opportunity to come again soon and enjoy other facilities at Hillbark including enjoying a meal in our Riviera Restaurant or even treating yourself to a treatment at our Solaia Spa … it is nearly Christmas after all!

Reviewed 1 November 2017

At first sight, The Hillbark Hotel looks a most welcoming, and very unusual sort of Country House Hotel. The staff are most welcoming, very friendly, helpful and courteous.
I get the impression however, that a lot of the time they are left to fend for themselves, with little evidence of training given to junior staff members. I noticed the rather, to my mind, inappropriate uniform, given the purported standard (5 star), of the establishment.
This sort of preppy/boho/hipster look might be more suited to a Hoxton Square espresso and media imbiss. The wearing of 'Converse-style' plimsolls seemed particularly jarring, when the dress code for the restaurant specifes "no trainers".
I would say Boss for the boys, Armani for the girls, and shoes, no?
The bedroom at the top of a narrow set of stairs was located on the second floor, 'in the eaves', so to speak. Whilst ascending, there was a lot of unfinished ply on display.
Now again, whilst this is quite 'a la mode' in the Baltic Triangle, I would suggest that this was by way of accident, and not design. It might be a good idea to get the odd job man out with some paint, and a brush. Onwards to the room, a nice bed and furnishings, but no fridge/mini-bar, a set-up I have not encountered in a long time, and never in a 5 star. The bathroom was unusual in that it was equipped with a deep, square spa-type tub, of the sort usually encountered in Japan, generally these are somewhat sunken, to facilitate entry and exit, however, in this case there was a small plastic step generally used when lavatory training small children. Surrounding the bath was, again, surprise, surprise, the old friend, unpainted plywood. The lights above the sink mirror/vanity unit were missing a bulb, and could with a misplaced finger, have provided the unfortunate person with a new hairstyle, just in time for hallowe'en.
There was a general lack of comfort in the public areas, with none of the open fires lit, and an air of dejected abandonment about the place. So unneccessary for such a prestigious property. I can only assume this parsimonious attitude is dictated by spending in other areas such as the ultra-luxury vehicles parked outside. The meal at the event was below expectations, and I would say chilled melon is not an appropriate vegetarian starter for a dinner event in October. I refrained from eating this icy appetiser. Some hot soup perhaps may not have overly taxed the kitchen brigade? I ate the main, which was okay, and left the pudding, which was utterly forgettable.
The event itself was great fun however, and was very well organised.
After a decent night's sleep in a comfy bed, I decided to try the whirlpool bath, unfortunately this was impossible, owing to the plug proving to have a faulty seal.
Breakfast was a dreary affair, although our servers were quite lovely, and very welcoming. The toast was cold, there was a lack of condiments, there seemed to be a butter rationing regime in place, my poached eggs were alright, if a little cool, the tomatoes and mushrooms were very anemic and I had to ask for baked beans, which were also not the hottest. No vegetarian sausages were available, and the yogurts on offer were of the budget Longley Farm variety, (which aren't that bad actually), but are very cheaply packaged, and certainly do not have the requisite cachet. Might I suggest natural yogurt, and fresh compotes, or the premier variety which come in the glass jars? Now considering breakfast is a quite eye-wateringly expensive £28, this is clearly not acceptable. Breakfast at The Wolseley is £18.75, and at Hawksmoor is £36 for two persons, and I can personally vouch for their excellent standard and quality. All I can say, is that breakfast here could be so much better, and the offering smacks of greedy opportunism, dare I say spivvery?
Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to meet mine host, His Lordship, Count Baker, who for all I know may have been doing a spot of DIY? I couldn't possibly comment.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
12  Thank LiverpoolPompo
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Visited for a large family lunch and found the staff friendly and welcoming. Grounds were very well kept and the whole place appeared very grand.

We had a buffet lunch (approx 30 people) which had an Indian theme, unfortunately limited choice - samosas, Bajis and Small sausages - quite a let down (and mostly deep fried) given the expense and expectations and was also only Luke warm. Dessert was a simple fruit salad. Nothing remarkable about it.

Overall we had a good time as a family, however the food was quite a disappointment from such an established hotel.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Rlewis11
Contessa_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Hillbark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

Dear RLewis,

Many thanks for your comments and we hope you enjoyed your family gathering, marking such a special occasion.

The whole event was organised meticulously with our events manager Rebecca who went through all of the menu options we have available at the hotel with our client, including different lighter buffets to larger catering options such as whole hog roasts. This buffet was chosen by the client specifically as they didn’t want to over-face any guests and fitted perfectly with her requests of making it a more informal gathering.

Hopefully you will get an opportunity to come back to Hillbark again soon and try our Riviera restaurant which is a mix of french and mediterranean cuisine.