1,040 results
All reviewshot chocolatelittle touchesjourney homefishing boatsturn down serviceweather forecastthe main hotelcoastal patheggs benedictsmall hotelbiscuitssmall harbourcar parkbottled waterboth nightscornish fishing villagecakes
Reviewed 5 April 2018

I cannot sing the praises of The Lugger enough.

Tucked away in the tiny village of Portloe, it is just perfection. Small enough to feel completely personalised but big enough to be run incredibly well. Even the smallest details were thought of down to hot water bottles and hot chocolates in the rooms while we were having dinner to the offer of newspapers delivered to the room in the morning. All of the staff were wonderful - clearly knowledgeable and really love where they're working. Very friendly and no ask was too big.

The food at the restaurant in the evenings was exceptional - the freshest food (especially the fish) and unusual combinations. It was all so well thought through.

What a pleasure to wake up to the sea (even if it was stormy and rough) and to have breakfast looking out over the cove.

I think The Lugger is now one of my favourite places in the world!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, if you can
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Lovely hotel and superb location - but disappointing menu choices for dinner and our room was situated in a new part of the hotel that although was furnished beautifully had walls and ceiling that were very thin. Spent most of the night listening to the residents above us snoring and talking and moving around in their bed! Disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We just stayed for one night and it was a perfectly nice experience but a few things wrangled with me for somewhere so expensive, like supplements on dinner for having fish, super expensive drinks and I got served a burnt muffin with my eggs Benedict in the morning (it was literally black).
However. Nice room - with little treats, like a hot water bottle (much needed as it was a cold night) and fresh milk in the fridge. Gorgeous to fall asleep to the sound of the sea 20 metres away. Serving staff very friendly, although reception (manageress, perhaps?) slightly less on those occasions when you’re popping down for dinner or breakfast and just a smile would be nice.
Only couples there, which we liked. Clearly lots of mature, intelligent guests, as there was plenty of very high brow discussions heard over dinner and breakfast-!
Absolutely stunning location and literally nothing to do but relax.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2018

A quaint hotel in a remote location. Ideal for getting away from it all. Excellent room. a restaurant with views of the bay. very good service from all the staff. excellent breakfast, with plenty of choice. Restaurant menu is not traditional. excellent wifi service in all areas.

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

My husband bought us a two night stay at “The Lugger”, with Secret Escapes, for my recent March birthday present. This is my Hotel review. I have submitted a Restaurant review separately.

I’m sure the room you are allocated makes a very big difference. We didn’t have a room with a view: our room, 304, was nice enough but on arrival it was so unbearably HOT that we had to turn off the radiator and open the window & door to get it to cool down. Also, you couldn’t regulate the heated towel rail in the bathroom which was excessively hot and our toilet (and others in this block) was an absolute nightmare to flush. There are dressing gowns and big towels but I do think it would be better just as a shower/wet room than trying to accommodate both a shower and an unappealing bath.

There are lovely touches: homemade cookies one day, muffins another and turn down includes a lavender pillow spray, hot water bottle, hot chocolate & marshmallows. I’d have appreciated a better tea selection (I went out and bought Earl Grey tea) and some fresh cafetière coffee though.

The king-size bed is very comfortable (until you end up on the join in the middle) and lovely fresh cotton bedding is sprayed with lovely lavender for a good night’s sleep .

I’d absolutely love to stay at “The Lugger” again. It is simply stunning and offers superb views but it’s a 5-6 hour drive for us, from Staffordshire, and the long journey to Cornwall would need a sea view room to warrant the very long drive down.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple