1,090 results
All reviews afternoon tea the main house beautiful hotel lovely grounds exclusive use four poster extensive grounds manor house wedding venue wedding breakfast handpicked hotels country hotel a la carte menu cream tea scones enjoyable stay wedding reception
Reviewed 3 August 2018

We had a lovely stay at Chilston Park Hotel. The building has a lot of charm and the room and service both live up to their 4* qualification. The staff is kind and is very problem-solving: when our room had not been serviced, they offered us a free drink in the bar while taking care of it, which was much appreciated. But the true gem of this hotel is the restaurant: it's a beautiful space with excellent meals and we really enjoyed having dinner there during several evenings of our stay. The hotel is situated in a beautiful park, however the motorway is pretty nearby and the sound of the cars is always around. But that's just a minor detail when I consider our overall very classy, yet cosy stay.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaryOfBurgundy
Simon B, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Dear MaryOfBurgundy

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to have read the many positives that you have noted and will share these with my team. I am sorry that you found the motorway caused you some concern. The air is exceptionally thin currently and perhaps the hum of traffic can be heard but it never usually causes any issues.
I do hope that you are afforded the pleasure of being of service to you again in the very near future.
With kind regards

Reviewed 3 August 2018

Stayed here for one night on business. Good welcome and directions to room. Room was challenging as had low ceilings, steep stairs to bathroom. Was very clean though and had a comfortable bed. Window wouldn't stay open so had to stick cushion in to prop it. Dinner was overpriced so I ate out. Didn't bother with breakfast.
Grounds are beautiful but noisy.
I had a few more gripes which I won't post but did contact the hotel directly with. To date they haven't bothered replying!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business

Dear Loogie01

Thank you for your review which I was disappointed to read on a number of levels. The hotel has not received any communication from you thus far and I would welcome the opportunity to hear what further issues you had. Please contact me at sbarker@handpicked.co.uk so that I may investigate further your concerns.
I look forward to hearing from you.
With kind regards

Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

Very nice place - well kept, clean & tidy.

However it is let down by the very high prices and unfortunately the service doesn't reflect those prices.

When you pay £5.50 for one single martini lemonade, you expect the bartender to know the difference between a sweet & dry martini. When I had to correct them the response was "sorry I don't drink it"! Another guest warned me a glass of wine would set me back £11.

One staff member was unaware that they had baby changing facilities despite there being a large sign on the disabled toilet which we stumbled across later on.

We were here for a wedding party. There seemed to be an above average number of spills throughout the day, including some gravy on one of the guest's white shirts and on one of the chairs which wasn't cleared up.

All in all a pleasant experience but let down by premium prices without the premium service to back it up, meaning we won't be coming back again.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Simon B, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2018

Dear southwestsam411

Thank you for your feedback. I will share your comments with my team as this will cause the senior team embarrassment as they know that they are far better than your experience suggests. I can assure you that your concerns are a one off and should not put you off returning to enjoy the beautiful estate that is Chilston Park. I sincerely hope that you stay with us again and thank you for your feedback.
Your sincerely

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

Booked afternoon tea for my mums birthday, there were three of us in total!

Arrived on time and was sat at a nice table! Drinks order taken and we all opted for the £25 Traditional afternoon tea at £25 each, we also had a glass of Prosecco each- at £6 a pop! Drinks cane out fast! And so did the teas!

Had to wait quite a while for the food, which was very nice and well presented!

However we felt the service was seriously lacking! Started off well with a lady who I guess was a manager asked if we are ok! She disappeared and there were hardly any staff to be seen except a few very young girls who didn’t look too interested!

Nobody asked if the food was ok or if we wanted anymore tea! We were going to buy another drink each but decided not to bother due to lack of staff! Our empty plates were not even cleared away!!

For £25 each the service needs to be better! Ladies on another table agreed with us and oversell it was disappointing!

Had to get up and ask three girls chatting for the bill, but had to wait while they finished there conversation!

Won’t be back- shame as the venue is lovely but the management need to address the service and quickly!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank JulieDockers

Dear JulieDockers

Thank you for your review of afternoon tea at Chilston Park. I am disappointed to have read your comments and will share your feedback with the team. This is not commensurate with our usual service standards and I apologise that my team have presented themselves in such a manner.
Please do return to us to see the very high levels of service that Chilston is famous for.
With kind regards and best wishes

Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

We attended a wedding here this week so stayed overnight.
The hotel is lovely, set in beautiful grounds and hopefully greener when this hot, drought has ended. The building is beautiful, little nooks and corners and full of history.
The food served at the wedding dinner & buffet was delicious. I ate every bit. The staff are very efficient and very friendly. Happy to help with any request.
I have only 1 complaint. We were in the stable block (Tennyson) and very early in the morning (between 6 & 7) there may have been a delivery. The carts or whatever it was. trundling along the gravel path, I could only liken to machine gun fire.
Apart from that it was a wonderful wedding in a remarkable venue.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank k s

Dear k s

Thank you for your near perfect review of your recent stay at Chilston Park Hotel. The lack or rain certainly didn't do justice to our beautiful grounds but the recent downpours have bought the flower beds and lawns (almost) back to their finest. I shall share your wedding comments with the team and apologise too that you were woken by a delivery at the front of the hotel. I do hope that you will stay with us again and thank you once again for your wonderful review.
With very best wishes