All reviews leeds castle coffee biscuits nice bed full english breakfast lovely pub single room cooked breakfast evening meal location is excellent booked this hotel channel tunnel one night stay landlord ensuite stopover hairdryer pubs
Reviewed 22 August 2018

Damn Right Rude, Land Lady the morning of the 19th Aug 2018
Myself, my partner, My daughter and her partner stayed here for two nights checking in on the Fri 17th Aug 2018. We had a wedding to attend on the saturday afternoon.
The Friday check-in all went ok .The Barman working on the Friday was friendly and the lady on duty that night was friendly too . The Rooms on first glance were ok for what we paid . Clean bedding and towels at least, although carpets were tired and had not been hoovered (visible bits everywhere ) which was a big let down as it leaves you thinking about how well the rest had been cleaned.The stairs / stairwell and banister leading up to the rooms are obviously not on the deeds of the building as they have,nt been decorated or cleaned properly since forever.So i never held the banister as i,m not up to date on my Jabs . ( Poor elderly or unwell people i say who had to hold on ! )
We had an average ok meal on the Friday night . The type of meal and a pint i,d be ok with as a Contractor working away with other Male Workers but thats it .
On Saturday morning at breakfast the same friendly Lady was working and all went well and breakfast was ok . Plenty of cereals etc. My daughter and partner asked for just bacon and beans so they could make toast or sandwiches which the friendly lady did,nt have a problem with . I had normal English breakfast but my partner is Vegetarian so she just had toast but was offered scrambled egg. Normal behaviour if
your human, reasonable and enjoy your job. So if you get to read this ,thank you.
Right that,s all covered . Now for the meeting of the Woman who was working on Sunday Morning 19th Aug 2018. HORRIBLE & BULLYING !!
You would expect when providing customer service that it requires YOU ! to be courteous to your PAYING guests and not make them feel like they are NOT WELCOME. We came down to breakfast at 9am to be met by what can only be described as a Hostile environment and felt we were an inconvenience.
Breakfast was supposed to be 8.30 - 9.30am .
I was getting some cereals and the lady serving shouted in a Stern Matter, Cooked Breakfast? from the other side of the room at me , I said yes but not yet i would like cereals first . So do you want breakfast or not ? to which i replied the same and she just walked off in a huff. After That she could,nt bring it out fast enough. It was like she didnt want you there and you were an inconvenience.Just before 9.25am she started clearing everything away and it felt like she was going to take the cup away from your mouth . Playing loud music from the kitchen as if to wake anyone above who may still be sleeping. Totally NOT relaxed breakfast at all.We went back to our room annoyed and confused.
To explain further. Check out we were told was 11am.
At 10.am myself and daughters partner went to pick up his car from place of wedding
the night before. 10.25am Came back , parked in the car park . From the pub front entrance the Same woman appeared shouting can i help you ? to which he said i,m staying here . Yeah well check out is 11 so make it asap. Then at 10.40am she just walked into his room with no knock saying Sorry thought you had gone . HOW RUDE !
How could this be an excuse when she had just confronted him in the car park, they could have been getting dressed or anything. Then at 10.50am she came into MY Room ! again NO Knock and said the same . OMG. Then i had enough and challenged her Behaviour and asked what was her problem ? We have paid our money and that check out was 11.am and it was only 10.50am.
How dare she just walk into our rooms without knocking . She said she was on a tight schedule and if we wanted to stay later we had to arrange it . Omg ! we were packed and ready to leave . Cases were already in our vehicles . I Challenged her on her behaviour and she made all sorts of excuses. What Horrible Bullying behaviour. Totally disturbing behaviour in our opinion . Will Never Stay here again and i hope people will AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. !!! The Cleaner/ land Lady needs to put
as much energy into her cleaning as per her unwelcoming behaviour, then the place would be spotless !!! Which It is far from Not Being !!! AVOID !!! AVOID in my opinion !!

2  Thank davewales2018
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Myself and my partner booked a room, and my father and stepmum also booked and stayed in the room next to us as we were attending a family wedding in Harrietsham for the weekend.
We both paid £133 for 2 nights which we booked a while in advance on booking.com!

When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly gentleman and lady behind the bar who showed us to our room and served us drink and a meal. We stayed in rooms 5 & 6 and stayed Friday to Sunday.

The rooms itself were ok. We noted they clearly do not get hoovered between each stay as the carpets weren’t the best - but other than that we couldn’t complain for what we wanted it for. Bedding was clean, towels were clean and the bathroom itself was clean. Shower was working and hot and the hairdryer and TV equipped worked just fine.

We enjoyed the Friday and Saturday of the stay, it was a handy place to stay as you can drink downstairs and have a meal if you didn’t want to venture out.

We ate breakfast there the Saturday morning, the lady who served us was lovely and attentive and we can’t complain about the cooked breakfast, there wasn’t plenty to eat and it was nice and hot.

I will say I am confused about the pubs stop tap times. We were told 11pm, we returned home from the wedding early on the Saturday at around 22:20 and the pub was shut in darkness. Although this is not an issue as you are issued a key to let yourselves in.

The place was let down on Sunday when we were due to leave. My father and his partner went down for breakfast and was greeted by a different lady this time who was no where nice as welcoming. She was overheard arguing with another customer when they requested a saucer as they were given one the day before (I can confirm this as we had also had saucers with our cups of tea the day before) - she was saying ‘you couldn’t have had one as we dont use them’. Breakfast is meant to be served until 09:30, but by 09:25 she was clearing all the cereals and toast etc away whilst people were still trying to serve themselves breakfast. She was generally abrupt and rude.

Before we left for our stay we were sent a confirmation email that stated check out time was 11am. My partner and father left the hotel around 09:45 and returned at 10:30. When they arrived back, the lady was in the car park questioning my partner on who he was. He explained who she was and then said ‘are you leaving soon’ to which he replied check out is 11am, she told him to be ‘ASAP’ which really made us feel unwelcome. When my partner returned to the room, about 10:45 the same lady just walked into our room with no knock. My partner questioned this and she said ‘I thought you had gone’ and again insisted on us leaving soon. We just felt as if she was pushing us out and we were unwelcome. Myself and my partner then left, whereas she proceeded to do the same and walk into my fathers room. My father then questioned her on this and asked what her problem was and that we were being made to feel unwelcome and why she wanted us to leave to badly, if they wanted people out earlier they should not inform people that check out time is 11am. She replied to my dad saying she was on her own and had a schedule to stick to. That isn’t the guests fault when we have paid for the room and service. I don’t know who this lady was, she may have been the owner but whoever she was she really put us off staying again when the first 2 days we couldn’t fault the service and the friendliness. From reading other reviews I can see others have had the unfortunate moments of being greeted by her also.

If the Roebuck looked at the attitude of this lady then it would be a nice place to stay! If you’re expecting the Ritz then of course don’t bother but if it was fine for what we needed it for! :)

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lauren S
Reviewed 17 August 2018

It was an average room and was fine for the one night stay that we had there. Although I was quoted £75 over the phone a month previous when booking, I was taken by surprise when I was charged £88 on the day. I was too tired to argue the fact, I was hoping that breakfast the next day would make up for it. It came out in quick time, hot but was rather a small portion, a tea spoon of baked beans and the amount of mushrooms on the plate amounted to one mushroom. Having said that there was plenty of cereals, fruit and toast that you could help yourself to.

Date of stay: July 2018
Reviewed 17 August 2018

Dirty room, non-working shower with terrible black mould on walls and shower head which was broken and not able to use. The carpet was stained. The breakfast staff?cook was rude and unable to provide scrambled egg for breakfast (her words "I only do fried egg") I stayed here 5 years ago and it was Ok then but never again.

Room tip: avoid at all costs
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank rayedwil
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Had a pleasant enough stay here although the room could of done with a with a lick of paint as the paint seemed to be flaking off the ceiling and onto the floor other than that the room was spacious and clean enough

Trip type: Travelled on business