“Overpriced”

The New Flying Horse
Ranked #2 of 3 Wye B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The starter wasn’t anything special. We had roasted lamb for main which was very chewy. Poor choice of desserts. We visited it on a Saturday lunch time at 13h and it was empty. Only our table and another couple.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 November 2017

My boyfriend treated me to a night away at The New Flying Horse recently, he mentioned he wanted to take me away and I explained how winter is in full swing so I would love to stay in a country cottage style pub. Imagining the cute little cottage in the film The Holiday. & oh my god, this was exactly that. From the beautiful exterior to the proper pub feeling inside. Then the bedrooms are so cosy and so trendy with the brick wall statement, not to forget the shortbread biscuit accompanied with a lovely selection of coffee and hot chocolate etc.
We dined in the restaurant in the evening and had a very tasty Sunday Roast for a bargain price. They offer a large selection of wines which is always a bonus!
We also had breakfast which again was very tasty.
Staff were very friendly!
Neither me boyfriend nor myself could fault The New Flying Horse.
We wish to return in the summer so we can enjoy the amazing garden they have!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2017

Went for dinner with our family (with a view to book in February 2018 for works party, we would have required - 3 courses of food, drinks for the night and 6 rooms for the party of 11 or 12. We always check the venue out before booking). However, we were disappointed. The reserved table was right outside the toilets in the restaurant area and when we asked to move somewhere else, we were told all the other tables were booked (As we were not given an option to reserve specific tables, we were perplexed at the issue but they did apologised) The meals were ordered and the sandwich with chips was a hearty portion but the other three meals were small. The cheeseboard at £9 was very small, 3 small pieces of cheese which would not cover the 6 crackers and it arrived 10 minutes after the other desserts (They did apologise again) but we were left feeling let down. The small, blonde waitress was very nice and helpful but the tall brunette was miserable and verged on being rude with her attitude. I actually planned what I would eat when I got home. Thankfully I had plenty of cheese in the fridge!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2017

Very friendly and accommodating staff. Dog friendly pub and accommodation in converted stables at side of pub. Delicious pub food with variety for most diets. We were leaving early and they made us breakfast to take away, which they didn't have to do and was very nice and appreciated. Great location near the Eurotunnel in picturesque village. Very quiet. Comfortable room, not fancy but clean and suitable for a night or two. Parking available on site.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2017

I stayed here 5 years ago with family and although staff have moved on the Inn is still charming and comfortable. We had 3 nights here in room 1 which is a family room with a queen size bed, double with single bunk over - really lovely room with a quirky hall way to get to the room eg: sloping floors, low door way - loved it ! The bathroom was on the small side for a family bathroom and the floor would be soaked after a shower. The rooms were kept clean and the tea/coffee/shortbread and even bottles of water were all restocked every day as well as bathroom items. Although the rooms are above the pub it was very quiet. The Stable rooms are at the back of the Inn and you can have your dog with you.

Breakfast was great with cereal, juice and the waitress would bring tea and coffee and a cooked breakfast to order.

All the meals are reasonably priced and there is a good variety. However, eating here for 3 nights, I felt the food was a bit of hit and miss. They even ran out of all salmon by Sunday night (no smoked salmon for breakfast either) . For one of the meals I ordered the vegetarian Quinoa salad, I have enjoyed a version of this dish else where so my advice to the chef is to make the portion smaller and add 2 poached eggs on top instead of 1 hard boiled egg. Would have been good to have a specials board as well.

We also enjoyed a Quizz night with the locals and I still love the fact you can have your dog with you in the bar.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wye
4 km away
0.2 km away
The Wife of Bath
The Wife of Bath
#3 of 3 in Wye

Been to The New Flying Horse? Share your experiences!