All reviews the pub converted stables welcoming atmosphere family room pretty village main building next morning cooked breakfast hospitality tray stayed for one night fish and chips breakfast was included comfy bed overnight stay pie evening meal channel tunnel
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I stayed here with my bridesmaids the night before my wedding and got ready for my wedding day here as well. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant the night before and my room was plenty spacious for us to get ready on the Saturday morning. The staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The bed was comfortable and although we had left our room in a bit of a rush to get to the church, it was spotless when we got back that evening. The breakfast was lovely on both mornings with plenty to eat. Will definitely stay here again in the future. Unfortunately due to the weather we did not take full advantage of the gardens.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I would definitely go back to this pub especially on a warm summers day the gardens were lovely, I would happily stay here for a night again dispite the little things I will mention. They didn't spoil my enjoyment here.

We sayed for just one night as a get away. The sun was shining that weekend and took full advantage of the lovely gardens to sit and relax in. The lunch menu was above average and very nice. Hubby had a burger, I had ham and chips, both very nice. Our room was a family room so a sofa was also avalible and it was nice to sit and watch a bit of tv without laying on the bed!

The shower was lovely and powerful and hot but couldn't get a hot bath not a massive problem tho. Quite a few cobwebs in room above bed etc didn't bother us really but did feel like it need a bit of TLC blinds were covered in dead insects that had been rolled up in them!

The evening menu was impressive and pricey for a pub but nice all the same, I did feel like maybe hitting above their belts, I would have loved nothing more than some good old pub grub on the menu or at least as an option.

An engagement party was going on the night we stayed this made it very noisy as our room was above the enterance to pub. Lots of shouting out as taxis were being called and people saying their goodbyes all quiet by midnight tho so again not a major issue.

Full English Breakfast was gorgeous!! The staff were all lovely, the selection of drinks good. We had a fab time here can't wait for another hot day to enjoy a beer outside again!!!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank trys2smile
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I stayed here last week for a night; and after a terrible dining experience at another of Shepherd Neame's pubs that very lunchtime, I was hoping to have my faith in Sheps restored here at another of my regular haunts when I lived and worked in Kent. Alas, this had to wait until the next morning...

...as that evening the already poor levels of service we'd experienced at the Albion in Faversham were matched in the New Fly's dinner service. Being charitable, they were busy that night... but waiting 30 minutes for a waitress to take a food order is surely excessive under any circumstances. We had to intervene and go to the bar where she was hanging out (so maybe not *so* rushed off her feet after all?) and tell her we were ready to order whenever she was... She came with evident ill-grace, and then became hopelessly out of her depth - she didn't know the details of the items on the menu, so couldn't answer questions we had.

The food, when it came, was in fairness good if not exceptional. In pleasing contrast, the (different) waitress the following morning at breakfast was delightful - a complete credit to her employer. And the breakfast itself was delicious. Try the kippers... they were lovely.

Our room was clean, but Stygian in its darkness with one small window surrounded by ivy and looking straight into an unkempt thicket of elder and bramble bushes. Bathroom was lovely, and with a nice assortment of smelly things.

Room Tip: Avoid room 9 (in the stable block) - it's dark and gloomy inside.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dunnjon
Reviewed 24 May 2012

This is a nice pub and the rooms are very comfortable. It's perfect if you need a nice place to sleep for the evenings while exploring beautiful Wye and walking the Downs. But the stable rooms are rather small and there is only a small window so if you want to spend a lot of time in your room, it can be a little claustro.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Comfortable beds, great shower, cosy but modern decor. Very good evening meal, the service was excellent, the staff are well trainedo, very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012