All reviewsbirthday partychip shopvaleredecoratingleopard
Reviewed 24 February 2018

Overnight stop with partner in Burslem. An imposing building with a good reception from staff. It appears that it might be used as a hostel for homeless families as we were told that one family had been there for nearly 4 weeks.Whilst our room was comfortable, we were disturbed by a man knocking on our door. We did not answer believing him to be under the influence of drugs or drink. This was reported to reception upon our departure. Our breakfast was excellent and served in probably the best room of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet but some of the short sets of steps would benefit from handrails.
Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

I first reviewed this back in 2015 when the George remained a tired but charming hotel.

It is still tired but the charm is starting to wear thin as some aspects of the hotel were simply sloppy.

I accept a hotel in Burslem is unlikely to be world class, but things such as no batteries in TV remotes, corridors that offer the varying smells of smoke, vomit and urine and a bar that sells flat coke albeit at a £1 are just down to a lack of care.

The worn bits are acceptable if attending a football match. I mean, this is a dream hotel for fans attending Vale Park games. You can stroll around the corner and enjoy a few beers at one of the pubs just close to the ground, then enjoy a curry at the excellent Kismet just across the road.

It is this reason I keep coming back. I will keep coming back because although these shortcomings are getting harder to take, the location for my needs is unrivaled.

Don’t expect a great experience. The bed mattresses are always knackered and offer zero support. The hairdryer dated back to a period when Britain made things and had an Empire, while the rooms do not appear to have had any form of renovation since 1970.

It is still a physically clean hotel. I mean it isn’t the cesspit of filth that some people try to portray it, but it is getting to the stage where critical renovation is needed.

I dread to think the cost, I mean I doubt £1 million would solve all the issues, but maybe if Port Vale get back to the Championship it would be a worthy investment as a good hotel would sell out every week.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 56Thomas_H
Reviewed 16 December 2017

I am familiar with this hotel but have not visited it in a couple of years. I recently attended a tea party.

Firstly the quality of the food was disgusting,

2) The sandwiches were cut into thin strips, and I mean thin.
3) The scones were cold, 4 per table of 6 people???
4) The pots of tea when brought to the table were lukewarm
5) Pre paid for drinks for children were not provided, no apology given.
6) For some reason they divided the tea room by putting a barrier covered in table cloths across the middle therefore meaning the tables and chairs had little room.
7) Jam and cream (whipped not clotted) were brought out for the scones but no extra cutlery to use.

This hotel is in a prime location in the mother town of the Potteries but really should be closed down for a few months at have:-

a) a total refurbishment
b) To train staff in hospitality
and finally for the staff to go and experience afternoon tea at other hostelries. believe me they will learn something new at every place they visit.

Over the years I have been here many many times but now it saddens me to see what not only what it has become but also what it can be.

Room Tip: Insist on looking at a room before booking in
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank John G
Reviewed 24 November 2017

Stayed here, got bite marks all over my arm from the bed. Disgusting. Condoms found in the cupboard. Staff very friendly - without them being so helpful and letting us move rooms we would have left. BTW all the rooms we saw were dreadful. Bite marks came sleeping in what we thought was the 'cleaner' of the available rooms. Photos available if needed.

Stayed: September 2017
3  Thank AndyandAnia
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

After reading the previous reviews I reserved a room with some trepidation. I had no choice as other nearby hotels were booked.
Good Points: Friendly and helpful staff. Cheap compared to other hotels. Plentiful hot water. Tea and coffee making. Soap and shampoo provided. Nearby bus service to city centre (No.3).
Bad Points: Heating is on a timer off at midnight on at 5am. I woke up feeling cold at 1am. Cobwebs everywhere. No shower curtain so water ends up on the floor. Just a bath sheet towel provided. Cold water tap leaked. Shaving mirror light not working.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo