“Sunday night stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Colerne
Dublin, Ireland
“Sunday night stay”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Just back from an excellent overnight stay at Lucknam Park. We had Sunday lunch in The Park restaurant then chilled in our beautiful delux room before going to the spa for a few hours and dinner in the brasserie. When for a ling walk this morning and then more spa time - all in all it was fantastic. The staff are wonderful, first class service, friendly and professional. Rooms are a little chintzy but that didn't take away from our stay. It's quite expensive but is certainly worth it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dublin_Tata

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Thai first
York
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We first discovered Lucknam Park in September 2011 when we had a first class meal. We were so impressed by the location and service we had to return to stay longer, although it is worth a visit for the food alone. We returned for a four day stay in November 2011 and weren't disappointed. The highlight of the dining experience being the delightful belly pork with foie gras. We were fortunate enough to get a room upgrade which added to the enjoyment. Very good Sommelier who's advice should be taken - give him your budget and he will pick the best bottle for your meal. Our only two faults were that breakfast wasn't included in the room rate which is rather ridiculous when paying these prices and there was no refrigerator or complimentary drinks in our room which one might expect. We will still certainly return.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KatandJohnYork
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My partner and I stayed overnight for my birthday and it was the perfect present. The hotel is charming in a superb setting and the staff are excellent...
It feels like you go back in times where service actually meant more than just pretending. We had dinner in the main restaurant and although it was a quietish night and the room could make you feel a little intimidated, the professionalism of the staff and perticular attention of the Maitre D made this the perfect evening...
If you want to be treated like a real guest, then you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank ptatworld
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

In summary: a perfect choice for a relaxing spa break in the beautiful English countryside.

Only quibble: the decor of the room was a bit fusty and old fashioned

I spent 3 nights at Lucknam with my best friend in February, we had booked a spa package including 1.5hours of treatments. We were very lucky with the weather, as it was glorious wintry sunshine though icy cold.

The drive up the one-mile driveway to the hotel is stunning, my car was whisked away and we were taken to our room. We were on the ground floor on the courtyard, it was very quiet, the room was very large with seating area, telly, big wardrobe, huge bed, lovely big bathroom. However I was not a fan of the decor which was like a Laura Ashley door-to-door salesman's swatch bag had exploded (however I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the hotel is in the process of refurbishing the rooms).

The grounds are beautiful, and reception lent us wellies for the mud which was well-advised! Reception has 4 OS maps of different country walks in the area which we very much enjoyed.

Breakfast in the brasserie was varied and very good, the service was generally good. During the day the brasserie gets very busy and there are lots of day trippers to the spa, and while it didn't feel crowded the service got a bit haphazard, but we weren't bothered as we were there to relax. I would have liked to have seen more healthy options on the dinner menu as it is a spa.

The spa is wonderful. Decent sized indoor pool, opening through a sliding door in the water to a tropically heated outdoor pool, so we were able to enjoy the winter sunshine and country view from the steamy hot water. Such a luxury. We also enjoyed the steam rooms and the pool deck.

The treatments were top notch. They are not cheap, but totally worth it. My favourite was the Anne Semonin body scrub ritual, my skin was baby soft for weeks afterwards. The therapists were excellent and really knew their stuff (annoyingly I cannot remember any of their names).

We ate at the Michelin star restaurant on our last night, the food was exquisite and insanely rich as you would expect (I had the venison) but I wasn't a huge fan of the (lack of) atmosphere in the restaurant, it was a bit too fusty and formal for my taste.

The hotel doesn't seem particularly child friendly (this is not a criticism of the staff, i'm sure they would be very accommodating to families) because it is a very quiet, peaceful, adult environment. That was a draw for me, but something to bear in mind if you are travelling en famille.

We had a bit of a kerfuffle when it came to paying our bill when we checked out as there was a misunderstanding over what our package did and didn't include (we thought it included 1.5 hours of treatments for each of us, the hotel didn't), which wasn't ideal, but the staff were very helpful and courteous as always. Perhaps the T's & C's of the package needed to be clearer on the website?

We left Lucknam feeling refreshed and recharged, I highly recommend it and would definitely like to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank always_searchin
London
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I almost felt sorry for the serving staff when we all arrived, 3 adults and 5 pretty loud children. They were fantastic and the brasserie seems completely geared up for modern families and their hoards. The kids menu was pretty varied and I was shocked by the quality of the kiddie food, it was fantastic and my toddler polished off a delicious shepherds pie. My meal was exceptional and more than the food, we were made to feel most welcome, the waiter even kindly offering a damp towel so that I could sponge off my toddlers mucky hands and face after said pie was demolished. The kids found bikes and scooters which also kept them amused post feast. I would definitely visit again and feel that although pricey the quality more than justified the cost. My hubby is keen to stay at the hotel next time too as it looks wonderful.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Bargainsgalorecat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colerne
11.0 km away
29.8 km away
Bishopstrow House
Bishopstrow House
#1 of 3 in Warminster

Been to Lucknam Park? Share your experiences!