All reviewsgreat mountainstair carpetnice family run hotellocation is amazingshort walk from the centretwo weekssea viewyogurtevening meals arerepeat guestssunbeds and umbrellasroom was cleaned dailyfriendly hotelbars and restaurantsgood pointsthe main stripthe air conditioning
Reviewed 1 June 2017

Did not stay at the hotel but dined at the above restaurant attached to this hotel.Saw a board on the pavement advertising 3 course meal for just over 10 euros.Wandered down a not very welcoming passage wondering where we were going,to appear in a wonderful setting,overlooking the beach at sunset.One of the few restaurants which used linen table cloths rather than paper disposable, The class continued onto the food with a large portion of tasty chicken and rice soup,i had the lamb in the oven,wife had pork in lemon sauce,both tast and generous portions to the extent we did not have the pudding. Excellent value for money considering the quality.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank videoman213
Reviewed 16 May 2017 via mobile

Stopped here for a drink and sundae after 11 mile mountain hike. The waitress was very friendly and accommodating. Nothing was too much trouble. Sundaes were great.
I had twisted my ankle up the mountain and as I limped out of the tavern area another member of staff, Maria insisted she drive my partner and I back to Alykanas. Superb customer care.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luke R
Reviewed 13 December 2016

We didn't actually stay at The Astoria but we went nearly every day for breakfast. The location on the beach was just perfect and there being only a few sunbeds and umbrellas made it very relaxing. We only learned by accident (overheard someone on the beach talking) that the 6 euros we paid for the sunbeds would be refunded if we used The Astoria's restaurant. I'm so glad we did. Fantastic American style pancakes with a whole jug of Maple Syrup, Full English Breakfast beautifully presented, and unlimited really good coffee. All served by lovely staff dressed in aprons and waistcoats. The owner was a lovely lady who had obviously been very glamorous in her younger days and the whole setup felt like we had gone back in time in a really good way. We also ate there in the evening and had a really nice meal. From the roadside The Astoria doesn't look much so don't pass it by, as it's a lovely place to sit and while away a few hours.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vandamcall
Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

We had booked a room via Travel Republic a year ago, but on arrival we were told there was no room for us. Apparently they had overbooked. Nobody's fault she said! We have upgraded you to a hotel in Tsilivi, she said. I don't think so, I said. If I had wanted to stay in Tsilivi, that is where I would have booked. Because I was adamant I wasn't going to Tsilivi, we were offered a bungalow in Alykes. I agreed to check it out, and then when a couple of phone calls were made, we were told that because we were staying for 18 nights, the bungalow would cost her too much, so suddenly they had a room for us and they were going to bump someone else instead! For that reason, we wouldn't stay at the Astoria again.

The room was ok, the balcony and views were fab. The breakfast was ok and we never went hungry. The location of the hotel and the restaurant was excellent. Some of the staff were lovely particularly Reni. Some were surly. The owner was moody. They had a lovely big dog (German shepherd type) but he was tied up all the time. One day we had a huge thunderstorm and the dog was left out in the rain. I went and told the owner that the area where he was tied up had flooded and he couldn't even lay down any longer and the owner told me he was used to it. I said he looked very sad, and her response was 'we are all sad today!' I am not a particular animal lover, but even I was astounded! We weren't all stood out in the rain. About half an hour later the dog disappeared but we don't know where he went, but he re-appeared later and he remained tied up for the whole time we were there.

The air con was good and reasonably priced. The cleaning was ok. Don't understand why they needed carpets on the stairs and in the hallways was needed. It was was always mucky and there were lovely tiles underneath. Sheets and towels were changed every 4 days. The shower was hit and miss. Sometimes it was powerful but if you wanted to a shower about 7 in the evening, there was just a trickle of Luke warm water. There was a good kettle in the room and a hairdryer provided.

Saying all of the above, the room rates are cheap and Alykes is fabulous and you don't go on holiday to say in your room. But I personally wouldn't stay there again.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Liandy
Reviewed 29 September 2016

Late arrival, keys and directions to our room provided quickly and pleasently. The room on second floor small, dated decor but clean. Booked bed and breakfast so made our way down on first morning , no direction as to where the dining room was located but we managed to find it at the rear of the hotel. Breakfast is buffet style, pick your table and hope nobody else sits whilst you are getting your food, which was tasteless and of poor quality with little choice. Waitresses were pleasent and efficient. The management /owners of the hotel were rude and complained that guests were eating to much breakfast. The building really needs updating the mirrors in reception/lounge area are in a terrible condition and the area would look mu ch better if these were removed. Reading other reviews I would suggest that the astoria is welcoming to those guests who are happy to pay for extras and put money over the bar and restaurant, we were put of by the owners manner and decided not to give them any further money's so payed for sun beds and meals elsewhere, and cheaper. We will not return

Room Tip: Sea views to rear but no sun Sun to the front with views over the salt flats but can be noisy from trafic
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple