“Last Day before Renovation started for more than 12 months”
Review of The Datai Langkawi

The Datai Langkawi
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Datai
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

Im a guest of this fantastic hotel for app 20 years. A few weeks ago I went there for lunch together with a friend of mine and we got served by the last lunch before they closed down for renovation of more than one year. Please take note of that and don't recommend it anymore!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rainer A
ArnaudGirodon, General Manager at The Datai Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2017

Dear Rainer A,

Thank you for your loyal support to The Datai Langkawi and it was a real pleasure to have you with us again.

We look forward to welcome you back to your refreshed home in the rainforest post refurbishment.

Arnaud Girodon

Write a ReviewReviews (2,471)

Reviewed 9 September 2017

The Datai has one of the most beautiful and secluded settings offering a romantic and breath taking experience to anyone who visits. It will be exciting to see what the refurbishment unveils after 10months as my personal feeling was that the rooms, appliances and balconies felt tired and dated. I have to give SPECIAL THANKS & GRATITUDE to the Staff at Beach, Pool, Breakfast, The Gulai and the Pavillion. We are in your debt and thank you for making our experience the most magical, special and memorable one celebrating my partners 40th with luxury. The team offer such a service delivered with a smile, nothing a burden to their daily routine. please do not change the Chefs as your food is exquisite.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katie123D
ArnaudGirodon, General Manager at The Datai Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Dear Katie123D,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your experience of your stay on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that the team took great care of you and your partner during your stay with us and created a memorable experience for the both of you especially to mark the special occasion, they will be very pleased to hear this as well.

We look forward to welcome you back post refurbishment for another memorable stay with us.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

It was an unforgettable stay! Right in the forest and near a private beach, it was a quiet and peaceful stay. The team was quick to respond to every request we have and was more thoughtful than we expected. My boyfriend also made a right decision to propose at Datai which was perfect place to carry such beautiful memory!

It was really far from the town and cab may cost RM 80 per way so we decided to stay in the property since it's a short stay and the place was just too beautiful. Waterfalls are nearby.

Overall, it was one of the best stays in my life!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
ArnaudGirodon, General Manager at The Datai Langkawi, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

Dear chaiyieng,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us and Congratulations! I am happy to hear that you had a memorable experience at The Datai Langkawi.

We do look forward to welcoming you back for more memorable moments.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

Every visit to this very special place has been a joy. Knowing that the property will be closing for extensive refurbishment for the next 10 months, we returned early September for a weekend stay. As always, we were welcomed with a gorgeous view of the Andaman sea and champagne. The rooms and fixtures are still immaculate after over 20 years - a testament to the care, attention and love the team showers not only on the guests but the property itself.

We will miss the great service (attentive but not intrusive), the incredible jungle setting and gorgeous secluded beach, the delicious and bountiful breakfasts, and the lovely nature walks by the charismatic resident naturalist, Irshad (Malaysia's very own David Attenborough).

It is reassuring to know that the management has entrusted the original interior designer to refurbish the rooms. Their deft and sensitive design has not dated and we look forward to the updated iteration of the spacious rooms.

We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank dioji76

Dear dioji76,

Thank you for choosing The Datai Langkawi as your home away from home, we deeply appreciate your loyalty to us. It has been a pleasure to have you stay with us, and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your experience of your stay on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed The Datai hospitality as well as the rainforest experience and the secluded beach. We are truly blessed to be custodians of this magnificent area.

On behalf of the team, once again thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back post refurbishment.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 7 September 2017

I booked a 4D/3N ASEAN package canopy deluxe room from August 26 to 29, 2017. I also made prior arrangements for a private beach dining where I plan to propose to my girlfriend.

The flight to Langkawi though was terribly delayed. Our expected arrival of around 4:00 p.m. became 9:00 p.m. Upon arrival, Ms. Hermie of front desk assisted us and while the GF was away, she informed me that they were ready with the beach set-up. To my wonderful surprise, Hermie informed me that after my proposal, we will be upgraded to a Datai Suite at no additional cost!

On the day of the proposal, the Beach set up was lovely! The food was excellent (I ordered the Malaysian Menu)! The Langkawi rain though was uncooperative and almost spoiled the party (boo!)! Staff though made special arrangements to transfer us to a quiet section of the Beach Club. I ended up making the proposal inside our upgraded room and where the GF could not say anything but “YES” when I popped the question ;-)

While the rooms and facilities may need an upgrade to keep up with the times, the old beauty and charm of the hotel are still there. The 2 rooms we had the pleasure of staying in were well-maintained and generously furnished with toiletries and other complementary things. The same can be said of the other facilities.

The location of The Datai is just beautiful. You will love that it is inside a tropical forest complete with free-roaming animals. The dusky leaf monkeys are so cute and you just love the hotel’s policy of allowing them and other animals remain undisturbed. Too bad we missed the nature walks!

I love the beach, white sand and the warm waters of Datai Bay. It never seems to get cold!

Dining is also excellent. Breakfast buffet in the morning and your choice of several restaurants the rest of the day. Coffee at the lobby lounge in the middle of a heavy downpour will lift your spirits!

Finally, from the time they pick you up at the airport until you’ve checked-out and sent off, the service is just top notch! Special mention to Hermie and the staff at the Beach for making my proposal possible!

Like what everyone is saying, we hope The Datai does not change too much (maybe upgrade a few creature comforts like the old aircon controls ;-). Me and my fiancée-wife hope to be back soon when The Datai reopens!

Room Tip: The Datai Suite, Room 120 has an excellent view of the property!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear GMViloria,

Thank you for selecting The Datai Langkawi as your resort of choice for your proposal and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

I am pleased to see that despite the weather, we manage to create a memorable experience for you and your fiancée. I will pass your kind words of appreciation to the rest of the team who I am sure will be pleased to hear your appreciation for them.

On behalf of the team, once again thank you for choosing to stay with us and congratulations again and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Langkawi.

Warmest regards,

Arnaud Girodon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Datai
6.3 km away
25.3 km away
The St. Regis Langkawi
The St. Regis Langkawi
#5 of 105 in Langkawi

Been to The Datai Langkawi? Share your experiences!