“QI”

Chateau de Franchimont
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Theux
Reviewed 6 July 2015

This is quite an interesting sight near Spa. I was surprised to learn of the castle's place in the history of Wallonian daring do. Apparently six hundred men defended it against all odds at one time in the late middle ages, and the then Belgian king used Franchimont as the venue for his rallying speech to the troops on the outbreak of World War 1. It is obviously the Wallonian Alamo! The tape tour is a must, and whilst very informative, is also over long and a bit dry at times. There is an informative and well done video at the start of the tour, and by the time we left the castle after about 2 hours, I knew all about the various stages of construction. I am too fat and lazy to go down to the bunkers- we had hiked over the hills from Spa on the day of our visit, and I was too hot and tired to squeeze down a load of steps.

The lady on the front desk was friendly. The place could have done with a fridge of cold beers, and, potentially, soft drinks for children, recovering alcoholics and religious fanatics. The cafe above the castle is closed. If you, too, feel like hiking from Spa, guided, perhaps, by the Ciccerone guide 'Walking in the Ardennes', be aware that there are trains back to Spa (hurrah!) at four minutes past the hour from the station below the castle. There is also a somewhat less regular bus service.

Date of experience: June 2015
2  Thank Idler

Reviewed 28 October 2013

No bar, and still in works but still nice to see. If you ask at the desk you can dress up your child as a real soldier of the middle age!

Date of experience: October 2013
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This ancient Chateau is off the "beaten track" and worth visiting.
We had just visited the town of Spa and "we asked" our Tom Tom GPS to take us to a nearby attraction. We are glad it suggest Franchimont.
The annual Medieval Fair had been held over the previous weekend and whilst contractors were cleaning up we were not disappointed with our visit.
The castle itself is not as "impressive" as some of the more funded castles in Europe but if you use your imagination you will be transported back in time.
The excellent audio presentation is a must and you can take your time getting up close and personal with this hidden gem.
The guy at the reception (didn't get his name) was very welcoming and obviously an enthusiast of all things medieval - a great person to have working the desk.
Make sure you plan for a visit that is longer than you think and use your imagination!

Date of experience: September 2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

This place was so cool! I loved how old everything was. You can get a personal tour guide thingy in many languages. It was awesome to go down into the bunkers, scary little steps down into a dungeon like crevasse created centuries ago. They also have a bar just above for refreshments. Bonus

Date of experience: July 2013
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 June 2012

My family of four decided to take a day trip to Liege, and this is one of the 4 activities that we chose. My husband and I went with our two children, ages 7 and 4.

Please note that this castle is in a ruinous state...

This castle has been in existence since at least the 1100s. You can rent an audioguide for $1.50 and it's worth it. It really does do a good job of explaining at first the history of the castle and it's different transformations through the centuries, as well as show you some artifacts that have been unearthed at the site. Then you can actually tour almost all parts of the castle, and it explains at each section exactly what you are looking at, and how that part of the castle may have been used by its inhabitants. I think our favorite part was that you can actually desend a crazy steep long staircase into the bunkers to see what the bunkers were like.

We've only lived here a short time, and toured only one other castle. It was not in ruins, but most of it was closed off, and what we did see, we had not idea what it was. Although this castle is in ruins, the ability to roam the entire grounds, and the informative audioguide made this a much more interesting tour. And the views from the upper floors were fantastic! My four-year-old could have cared less about the audioguide info, but she still had a great time running around and exploring the different bridges and such. My seven-year-old's interest in the history faded in and out, but he still had a good time, especially in the bunker.

I would definitely recommend this to others. It took us about an hour and fifteen minutes to complete the tour.

Date of experience: June 2012