“Alittle out of the way but worth it”

The Cottage in the Wood
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Malvern Wells
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Alittle out of the way but worth it”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We stayed here in August for my daughter's birthday. This is a lovely family run hotel offerring a very warm welcome and excellent service....although towards the end of the Saturday night the service slightly went off as the number of staff was reduce. The food was superb.....I can thoroughly reccommend the cream tea sitting in the garden. We will definitely stay again if in the ares.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sprip
Pattinfamily, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Thank you for your review. We are perched high up the Malvern Hills and that's the price for those stunning views I guess. I'm delighted you thought the food "superb" my son is head chef and I'll relay your compliments. Sorry we slipped on the Saturday evening, if I recall we were short due to illness. However you rate the service highly and the welcome, so many thanks. John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We visited for one night, the first night of our 14 day tour. We arrived on Saturday at just before 2.30, having had a long drive. We asked straightaway if there was a chance of a sandwich and a beer, nothing fancy and were told that they were having a very busy time in the kitchen and could not oblige...........................With dinner not happening until 8pm and being away from the shops, this really annoyed me. WHERE IS THE SERVICE????? WHAT ARE YOU THERE FOR??? Whlist waiting for our evening meal order to be taken, the proprietor proudly said to another couple how busy lunchtime had been and that she liked it that way.......could have fooled me. Complacent!
We were given a key for our room over yonder....not taken to it....and the decor was drab and dark (brown) The only saving grace was the view. The loo had signs of previous use, which I will not go into (after I accused my other half...) After an hour of being there, I was sooooo hungry, I rang to ask where the nearest shop was so that I could buy some food....fruit especially. Rather than being offered something, I was told there was a SPAR along the main road. I walked there, as my other half was too tired from the journey.....all downhill the way there and a really steep climb the way back. Laden with sandwichs, crisps and fruit, we were able to at last eat something. I am so angry to be treated in such a shoddy way and will certainly not recommend this place to anyone....I didn't even bother taking any photographs as a record of this visit as the sooner I blot it out the better.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Pattinfamily, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay. We serve cream teas after lunch at weekends, so I am sorry that this was not suitable.
However, we will discuss your concerns as a managment team to improve on this area.
Thank you for your constructive criticism.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Our second visit was for our wedding anniversary ,and the venue was chosen because of the excellence of the hotel on oujr first trip. That was a family visit to celebrate my birthday on New Year's Day 2010
The Cottage in the Wood is all a hotel should be, The service is unrivalled, The beds large, firm and comfortable, the meals a work of art, and the wine-list unrivalled.
For walkers it is perfection, with direct access onto the crest of the Malvern Hills, and views to die for.
Cannot wait for an excuse to return

Room Tip: Anywhere in The Pinnacles
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Welcome back! Happy anniversary. I remember your birthday bash and I'm delighted we still ticked the boxes. To be told the service is unrivalled and the food works of art is high praise indeed. Get busy finding that excuse for a return. We've just clocked up our 25 years. Can't believe it. Thank you for your review. John
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We had a lovely 1 night birthday stay in a lovely room with fabulous views over the valley. Bathroom excellent, little extras in room good. Bed a tad small but was aware was a small double! Only gripe I can find. Staff extremely helpful, hopefully will return. Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Views on their own are not sufficient to keep us in business so I'm very glad you found us well run and with a good team. We do have a couple of rooms with 4'6" beds - cosy! - but all others are 5' and most are 6', so do ask for a bigger room when you return. We'll be waiting!. Thank you for the review. John
Paris, France
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Our stay in Malvern felt like a day off in an otherwise quite busy trip. The charming calm of this cottage beneath the huge trees helped a lot with that.
Just a climb away, the ridge line of the Malvern hills offers you a sight just like the Shire out of Tolkien's tales. The staff was very friendly in helping us on our way. Also, the breakfast was good and the room very cosy.
Pretty much our best hotel experience in England. Worth spending the extra pounds.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Of course I'm pleased you thought we provided the best English hotel experience on your visit from France but saddened there are too many that let the industry down, even today after such a dramatic rise in standards over recent years in both bedrooms and food. We are "calm" in terms of a quiet location high on the hills in a little world of our own. This morning there was mist in the valley below with Bredon Hill standing proud - almost like an island in a calm sea.Thank you for your comments. John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern Wells
Mount Pleasant Hotel
#9 of 10 in Malvern
10.2 km away
Bank House Hotel, Spa & Golf, BW Premier Collection

Been to The Cottage in the Wood? Share your experiences!