2,053 results
All reviews genting arena minute walk leisure club bar meals birmingham airport train station leisure facilities reception staff sat nav burgundy restaurant booked this hotel bit dated visiting the nec breakfast room steam room main restaurant close to the airport
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed at the Arden 12th and 13th October whilst attending the Franchise exhibition at the NEC. On arrival the receptionist was rude and very uninterested in the people checking in. We were asked if we wanted to pay for breakfast during our stay which we said we would decide in the morning. The bar staff, waitresses and food were all excellent. The rooms were fine. In the morning we did decide on breakfast and was told that if we had booked it at reception the night before we would have got it for £10 instead of the £12 each. On the 2nd night we booked at reception and was told to pay the following morning or have it added to our room bill. The next morning we went for breakfast and paid for it at the restaurant only to be charged £12 each. When checking out I noticed on our bill that they had charged us £30 for the breakfast we had already paid for. I queried this and the £30 got knocked off the bill. I question why we were charged £12 each when if we had added to our room charge we would only have paid £10 each. In all £12 overcharged but again the receptionist (a different one) was rude and unhelpful. The reception staff let this hotel down. I also think that at £119 per night breakfast should be included. Our bar meals which again I say were excellent only cost £9 each and breakfast food was not as good. Come on Arden, reception is one of the most important areas of the hotel, sort the staff out !!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
MichaelDSimpson, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear Debbie513,

Thank you for taking he time to review us, and for your detailed comments on your stay experience with us.

I was very disheartened to read your comments on our reception team here at the hotel. We have a reasonably new team on reception and we are certainly looking to improve the service experience our guests receive over the coming weeks as our new team become trained up.

Your feedback will be shared with my reception manager and management team in general as we work to improve our guest' experience for the future.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Needing a hotel for the Horse of the year show I got The Ardenoff the Internet. Although able to walk the ten minutes to the NEC from the hotel the hotel booked a taxi costing Five pounds which a ten year old was perfect for us. The spar was wonderful after a full train journey of three and a half hours. Swimming,sauna, jacuzzi, steam room and ice water shower all tried and loved with no body else but us. Very hungry after exercise we had a cheese ham and bean toastie with chips snack cheap and good. The staff were very friendly, attentive and made the trip away with my granddaughter very special.

Room Tip: We overlooked the car park but the windows opened
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank estorey72
MichaelDSimpson, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Dear estorey72,

Thank you for taking the time to review us!

I am pleased to see you had a great stay with us and I hope to welcome you back to us for HOYS2018.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Very close to Birmingham airport/international station- only a 5-10 min walk.
Entering the room/bathroom was like stepping into a 1980's time warp. The whole thing needs a big revamp. We've stayed in other hotels in a similar location that were also 3* and a similar price and The Arden just didn't live up to them.
We didn't use the restaurant, but I have to say it did look very nice. And the menu we saw looked like it had a lot on it and wasn't too expensive.
The leisure facilities were great- lovely gym, pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room and great changing rooms. We did find it strange that we had to walk through the bar in our gym kit with towels and wet hair, past people dressed quite nicely, having food and drinks, to get there though, but maybe there was another way we hadn't found.
The bed had seen better days. It was saggy and not the most comfortable. The room was clean but just little things like marks on the wall not painted over and the horrific tiles in the bathroom were all a bit strange.
Our room was absolutely boiling. We didn't have the heating on at all and had the window open all night as wide as it would go (this was mid October too so not warm out) this wasn't ideal as we were next to a dual carriageway, but very necessary as we couldn't have slept in that heat.
The staff were lovely and always had smiles on their faces.
We won't stay here again as we know we can get more and better for our money elsewhere, but for one night before an early flight, it just about did the job.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
MichaelDSimpson, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Dear Natalie H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us following on from your booking with us at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club.

I was sorry to read your feedback on your accommodation, and your comments on the bathrooms in particular I can assure you are being addressed. We are in the process of refurbishing over half of our bathroom stock in the hotel to bring it up to a modern standard that will be more acceptable to the modern traveller.

There is access to the leisure club directly from the bedroom corridors and my apologies if this was not made clear to you when you stayed with us at the hotel. This would have avoided you accessing from the lounge area.

I was also sorry to learn of the issues with heat in your room, especially as the heating was not on in your accommodation. I can only assume this was due to the lack of ventilation in the main bedrooms in our standard rooms, as we only offer air cooling systems in our superior rooms.

I appreciate you taking the time to review us, this will aid us in improving standards for our guests in the future.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

We had an evening meal at the Hotel Restaurant Burgundy, very nice! I had the 3 course deal at £23, really can’t fault it!
Very convenient to the NEC, only slight negative is that the decor is a little old and worn but would definitely stay again just for the food and very good service.
Went to the spar, again the only thing is that it could do with a re-decoration.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexander B
MichaelDSimpson, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear Alexander B,

Thank you for your lovely feedback!

I hope to welcome you back to us again in the near future for your next stay in the Birmingham area.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 October 2017

We stayed at The Arden for 2 nights while visiting HOYS. At the entrance we were greeted by an overflowing rubbish bin and a carpet of cigarette stubs. Reception was efficient but our room was very poor. Shabby scuffed furniture, floor of wardrobe was covered in dust, flat roof outside window covered in litter and cigarette stubs. Bathroom was dreadful, tiles falling off wall, grouting very stained, shower door falling off, shower waste rusty, clothes hook broken so nowhere to hang clothes, no plug in sink, nowhere to hang towel at basin, no toilet brush, heated towel rail didn't work.
Breakfast very good, but dinner very poor - all designed to look pretty with edible flowers, tiny cubes of alcoholic jelly and halved raspberries but such garnishes do not make up for pre-formed blocks of belly pork and overcooked risotto.
I feel sorry for the staff having to work in such a place, however they were all very pleasant and endeavoured to make our stay in this dreadful hotel more acceptable.
Sadly they failed and we shall not return.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Dear Lyndag34,

Thank you for taking the time to review us following on from your stay with us.

I appreciate your feedback on your stay, I have reviewed your comments and some of them will be used to assist in improving services and facilities for the future.

I trust you will have better stays at alternative hotels in the area when you return to Birmingham NEC for HOYS 2018.