“lovely barn beautiful setting great hosts!”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Barrington Barn

Front elevation - west view
sitting room and dining room sitting room and dining room
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
sofa bed for 2
open plan: sitting area, sleeping area top
kitchen
kitchen
douple bed - first floor
douple bed - view to the west (watch out for the sunset)
First floor: Douple and single bed
Ground floor: Bunk bed (matresses to follow - radiator will be removed). The beds are 1.9m long.
Bunk bed view
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
ahurn764
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
“lovely barn beautiful setting great hosts!”
Reviewed 2 January 2017 for a stay in December 2016
person found this review helpful

The location is amazing, beautiful walks on the door step literally! The accommodation was great, everything you needed for a relaxing comfy holiday. The hosts were helpful, friendly and informative, they even left the gates open for the deer to come into the garden, its not everyday you get to see a deer almost in your living room lol! We stayed over the Christmas week and enjoyed every minute of it, and will defainetly be returning in the near future.

Your age range 50-64
Cheltenham
Reviewed 20 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
claire l
“A lovely getaway.”
Reviewed 25 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016

My husband and myself stayed in this lovely barn for 4 days.
It's the perfect retreat if you fancy getting away from the rat race! There's a log burner fire in the lounge which made the evenings very cosy.
The barn is situated in the owners garden and looks out over the garden & apple orchard, lots of wildlife can be seen mooching around the garden too.
Bernd & Janet were lovely & welcoming & kindly allowed us to pick as many apples as we wanted. A perfect getaway!

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Older travelers Families with young children
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Mark T
Ilminster, United Kingdom
“Unclean and not fit for purpose”
Reviewed 6 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016

We had booked this property for two sessions, the first from the beginning of October to mid and from 21st thru to Mid November, around 30 nights.
Firstly I was not expecting a massive amount due to the fact it is in someone's garden and also that the cost is not so high. However I did expect that the property would be fit for purpose, the pictures I have attached show it all, this property is not shabby chic, more like charity shop reject. The lounge furniture has been take out of a caravan, with the appropriate stains, the mish mash of damaged and used furniture clutter up. The cooker was dirty, the freezer had their own food in it. The sleeping areas are one open plan bedroom upstairs with three beds one disassembled, one small downstairs shower which we have not used as it is absolutely disgusting with a worn dirty shower curtain. Hot water was none existent day one. Worse still have asked for the place to be cleaned returned to be told it had when it had not, we left this morning with our 4 year old son and dog with no where to go as our house is unfit to live in and we have a building team in.
Worse still the attitude of the owner is frankly appalling, he asked me not to park at the property as he wanted to use his garden trailer, meaning we had two vehicles on the road, a Mercedes 4 by 4 and a new A3 convertible, he offers Wi fi which is only available in the garden and then at a signal strength not to get anything. The TV is probably 20 years old. The whole experience is so bad, and more so I do find it really odd that so many people have reviewed this property who have only ever posted one review.
The real nub is privacy, although I appreciate that it is in some ones garden it was totally unnecessary to have all the lights on till 1.30am as the property only has a sheer linen curtain, and frankly neither myself or my wife felt comfortable with the lack of privacy.
It may be here say but I am informed from the local pub that we have not been the only people who have paid for this and left very quickly all with the same concerns.
I am glad that tripadvisor have agreed to retain payment for the second visit and subject to investigation will arrange refund for the first part of the booking,if this is not forthcoming I will issue recovery proceedings. Frankly people like this should be stopped from advertising and taking bookings which could ruin holidays etc
It is totally unacceptable for trip advisor to have properties like this on the site

Liked best: Leaving
Liked least: Everything
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
12 Oct 2016
I had 3 conversations with Mr T while he and his family were in our property, the first when he arrived on Tuesday 4th October, the second an hour later when I went to check that they had settled in and the third on the evening of Wednesday 5th. Mr T shouted at me throughout most of the 2nd and 3rd conversations in an abusive and aggressive manor that would have him ejected from any doctor’s surgery. In addition his long haired dog was curled up on the sofa throughout our 2nd conversation on the Tuesday.
Because of his aggressive behaviour I forgot to tell Mr T how to operate the boiler on Tuesday evening, but told his partner on Wednesday morning.
I understand Mr T lives in a village 1.5 miles away from our property; he could have arranged to look at the barn before he made the booking. Also our part of Barrington is well known locally for poor internet speeds and he could have enquired about this before booking if it was important to him.
The furniture is not new, but it is all in good quality and in good sound serviceable condition, and it is clean. Likewise the television is not new, but it works perfectly and has a freeview box for additional channels, a dvd player and plenty of dvds. The shower curtain was new at the beginning of the season.
Our property is on a small residential country lane with a ‘no through road sign’, so there is very little traffic. I asked Mr T to move his car and park on the lane for a short period to allow me to take a trailer load of garden cuttings to the tip for sustainable composting.
We do not usually provide an ironing board in the property. Mr T’s partner asked me for one on Wednesday morning and I mistakenly gave her one my wife had put in the utility room for disposal.
We have a motion sensitive security light in the garden, which is sometimes triggered by wildlife passing through. It shines for a limited period when triggered. I turned it off completely when Mr T told me it was disturbing him.
We had a family wedding with a hog-roast in the garden earlier in the year and our freezer is still full of leftover food so we do have food temporarily stored in the freezer in the barn.
Following my conversation with Mr T on Tuesday evening I resolved everything he had complained about, and I had a friendly chat with his partner on Wednesday morning, who apologised for his behaviour of the previous evening. But he was in a rage again on Wednesday evening, and it was impossible to have a reasonable conversation with him.
We authorised Holliday Lettings to repay the second booking,
I find Mr T’s comments about our other reviewers very disrespectful of Tripadvisor contributors.
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016
person found this review helpful

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing