All reviews stewart room four poster hunting lodge scottish castle hole golf course beautiful location course dinner public rooms fine dining scallops wee dram dining room wine list lounge area lovely touch stayed here for one night full scottish breakfast
Reviewed 3 September 2018

Unfortunately i am unable to fully review this hotel as i did not actually get to stay in it ! Let me explain - over 6 months ago we booked 4 rooms as my wife and i along with 3 other couples were including a visit to the Braemar Highland games within an exciting tour of Scotland. We had booked to stay at Dalmunzie Castle as it was relatively close to Braemar. We had booked Friday and Saturday night which had been confirmed by the hotel. 7 days before we had also booked dinner in the restaurant for the Friday evening which was also acknowledged and confirmed by the hotel. Around 6pm on Friday evening I called the hotel to advise them that we had been held up en route and that we would not get to the hotel until 8pm. They then told me that we had no reservation and that the hotel was full ! I could write pages about the simply appalling way in which this was handled but suffice to say we had no option but to try to find another hotel as despite me having copies of all correspondence INCLUDING payment they denied all knowledge of our booking. The manager Alex and the owner- a Chinese national who’s name i cannot pronounce were absolutely appalling. I am currently in touch with my legal advisers to agree our next steps. Please save yourself a lot of unhappiness and avoid this hotel.

5  Thank Roddygraham
Dalmunzie C, General Manager at Dalmunzie Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Dear Sir and Madam,
In response to your "Review"! I have the following comments and responses based on the dialogue registered in our system.

In our system you were booked in for one night on the 1st September 2018. On the 22nd of August we wrote to you by e-mail requesting confirmation of your arrival on the 1st September and we had no reply.
One of our reception managers called you on the 22nd August and you confirmed verbally your arrival on the 1st September 2018.
When you contacted us on the 31st August to say that you will be arriving late that evening we advised you that we were expecting you on the 1st September. At this point you became rather abusive and upset our staff. Please understand that we have zero tolerance to verbal abuse and bullying by guests. You, yourself, asked the manager if she was upset.
During the telephone discussion with you on the 31st you requested a cancellation of your booking and a refund of your payment, which was undertaken by the hotel. You also directly cancelled the booking through Booking.com. There really was no basis for your complaint particularly as you did not stay at the hotel.

Reviewed 30 August 2018

We arrived in the early evening to a charming, traditional and original Scottish castle in a peaceful, beautiful landscape in the highlands. I had read a few negative reviews but chose to come here anyway because I was seeking a more genuine and classic castle experience, and not a modern hotel passing itself off as an historic castle. I could tell this place was the genuine article once I set foot inside. We were warmly welcomed and shown to our room promptly, and then shortly went down for dinner. Service was excellent, and the food far surpassed my expectations from some of the reviews I had read. We had a really great dinner in a cozy dining environment, and actually had some great conversations with other guests at a nearby table. Our room was quite spacious and comfortable with authentic furniture that looked like many of the castle museums I had visited, except that we were actually allowed to sit down on the chairs, lie on the couches, and use the desk rather than have them all roped off. For me, this authenticity and character was exactly what I wanted and what I had paid for. I honestly think the "sprucing up" of the place would ruin its authenticity. If you want a modern hotel, there are plenty to choose from. Dalmunzie is for people who appreciate the character and history of the place, as well as the peace and tranquility it offers. Honestly, no other stay in our entire trip was quite like it. My whole family really relished our time here. In the morning, after a deep, restful sleep, I went out and walked the grounds. I met the owner's wife and we had a great conversation about the history of the castle, and she gave me a little tour and told me where to hike down to see more of the grounds. When my family woke up a bit later, we all walked down to the nearby stream, looked at the old dinner bell and just soaked in the magic of the setting. We were only here a single night, and our schedule required us to move on down the road and see more castles, but we did not really want to leave.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
7  Thank Ron F
Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

This 20 room hotel has an air of Scottish authenticity without tartan. It is in a wonderfully area with great walks on its doorstep. The restaurant is expensive but the food is excellent. The young Aussie and Kiwi staff are fun and good craic.

3  Thank D1515PAsally
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

The website painted a wonderful picture, the reality was quite the reverse! We drove up the long drive with high expectations but had our first doubts when we arrived. The entrance step was graced with a tatty old carpet hanging off to one side. The vestibule was cluttered with a buggy which we had to squeeze past to enter. There was no one at reception and no means of contacting anyone apart from going into the back premises to find someone. While we waited we took in the surroundings which left a lot to be desired - the all-pervading smell of old fat and boiled cabbage along with a dusty stale atmosphere did nothing to raise our spirits. The greeting by the manager was perfunctory but a very pleasant young lady showed us to our room which was not at all the way it looked on the website especially the bathroom. Such a disappointment!
The hotel is ‘tired’ and need of a good deep clean.
This was to have been a special birthday for my husband and I could have wept.
We called the manager and said we could not stay and explained why. She did suggest staying one night but by this time our minds were made up to go. We were then reminded that our £100 deposit was non-returnable as if that would make a difference to our decision!
Poor show all round.

3  Thank 34sheenal
Reviewed 27 August 2018

I selected the hotel due to its geographical location nestled in the southern Cairngorms, we didn't arrive until 20:20 as both working on Friday however we were informed on arrival that dinner stopped at 20:30 so went straight in to dine.
I was a little taken aback by the limited choice and high prices however the food evening meal was beautifully cooked. The service however was poor and the glass wear and crockery was tired. I have no objection for paying if the service and surroundings deserved however I struggled to reason the difference.
An example was desert at £10.45 which consisted of five small pieces of cheese and six mini oatcakes I even joked to the waitress if there was more to come, sadly not.
The room had its own charm however the dead flies on the window sill indicated the room wasn't being cleaned as often as it should and the double bed was two single pushed together.
There was a wide selection of whiskey available at the bar however the barman/waiter was a little lacking in his experience and perhaps asking If I knew a little about the dram would have been helpful. I again struggled to comprehend the pricing structure for the drinks.
Breakfast is where I felt the hotel really hit rock bottom with the coffee being lukewarm, bread for toast being badly cut and the full Scottish being lacking a asked for extra potato scones however didn't realise that one piece of bacon and half a sausage was the trade off.
I feel the owner who was friendly and polite being happy to come in and take the payments in the morning really needs to review the quality of the accommodation and the hotel is tired. The opex and capex must be very high however being 15 miles from the alternatives does not justify inflating the prices. I believe the owner is to disjointed from the operations side of the business.
The hotel lacks a journey/direction and the staff haven't been briefed on what this journey is which is disappointing.
I look forward to returning and knowing this was a one off poor visit.

Room tip: Struggling what to write here as I tried to be positive....
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple