“A thank you to friends”

Restaurant du Grand Saint Benoit
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 May 2017

I took my French friends to this restaurant when visiting them in the Loire.
We commenced with a cocktail of the house. For the meal I chose the scalop starter, and veal main course. The selection of cheese was very good and the wine a red Sancerre was excellent.
Service was efficient but low key.
I could not fault the evening.

There are newer reviews for Restaurant du Grand Saint Benoit

Reviewed 16 March 2017

Another trip to the Loire and another fabulous lunch at Restaurant du Grand Saint Benoit. We just keep coming back and have NEVER been disappointed.

We have been here so many times, that they now recognize us. We almost feel like "regulars".

We always make reservations in advance and they do ask that you reconfirm your reservation 24 hours in advance. Possibly the person that arrived at the restaurant with a reservation and was turned away did not reconfirm. The restaurant is so popular that they want to prevent "no-shows".

Although the menu is small, there is always something to tempt us. This trip one of us had Lobster and the other had St. Pierre fish. Perfectly cooked and perfectly presented. Rather than dessert we had the Maroille roti, which is nicely roasted fresh Maroille cheese on a piece of baguette.

The wine list has a nice grouping of Loire wines at reasonable prices.

Unfortunately our April 2017 trip to France will not be anywhere near the Loire, so we will sadly miss eating at the Grand Saint Benoit. But we will be back in September and will definitely have a meal there when we return.

Reviewed 15 September 2016

We had lunch here after visiting the cloisters and church in Saint Benoit. The weather was perfect to sit out on the patio overlooking the village. They offer several multi-course options, ranging from 18-24 euros. I started with the tuna tartare with avocado and hubby had the beef carpaccio. For our main course, I chose a veal loin that just melted in my mouth. It was like a filet mignon. My husband went with the plat du jour, which was fish. It appeared to be cod which was butter poached, served in pistou with sauteed mushrooms and a potato galette on the side. We both enjoyed our dishes, but his was better. You really can't go wrong with the plat du jour. We enjoyed a few different wines, all superb (of course). I would say this is the best place in San Benoit.

Reviewed 21 September 2015

I had a booking confirmed by email for last Saturday which they refused to honor. The booking was for 20.00hrs and we arrived at 19.50 hrs. Dismissive and rude staff. I had already travelled 400km that day and having taken care to have made the booking knowing that the nearest alternative was 8km away, this wasn't the welcome expected.

Reviewed 7 August 2015

Although this restaurant presents itself as a gourmet establishment we did not find the food or the presentation anything other than average. nice linen and cutlery but we did feel that it was a bit more expensive than it deserved.