“A Lovely Lunch”

Restaurant du Grand Saint Benoit
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 September 2016

We had lunch here after visiting the cloisters and church in Saint Benoit. The weather was perfect to sit out on the patio overlooking the village. They offer several multi-course options, ranging from 18-24 euros. I started with the tuna tartare with avocado and hubby had the beef carpaccio. For our main course, I chose a veal loin that just melted in my mouth. It was like a filet mignon. My husband went with the plat du jour, which was fish. It appeared to be cod which was butter poached, served in pistou with sauteed mushrooms and a potato galette on the side. We both enjoyed our dishes, but his was better. You really can't go wrong with the plat du jour. We enjoyed a few different wines, all superb (of course). I would say this is the best place in San Benoit.

There are newer reviews for Restaurant du Grand Saint Benoit

Reviewed 21 September 2015

I had a booking confirmed by email for last Saturday which they refused to honor. The booking was for 20.00hrs and we arrived at 19.50 hrs. Dismissive and rude staff. I had already travelled 400km that day and having taken care to have made the booking knowing that the nearest alternative was 8km away, this wasn't the welcome expected.

Reviewed 7 August 2015

Although this restaurant presents itself as a gourmet establishment we did not find the food or the presentation anything other than average. nice linen and cutlery but we did feel that it was a bit more expensive than it deserved.

Reviewed 6 July 2015

I don't know what to say that I haven't already said in previous years.

The food here is worth a trip, and with staying close by in Sully-sur-Loire, we spoiled ourselves with eating here twice.

The town has the very beautiful Abbey of Saint Benoit. The restaurant, while not looking like much from the outside, has a lovely inside dining room.

The first night was a very busy Saturday night. The inside was full and the outside terrace had a very large table full of men. They have one of the most professional waiters we have ever seen. With one helper, he was able to handle ALL the tables without a hitch. Menus arrived in a timely manner, aperitifs were brought quickly, with a proper time interval the menu selections and wine were ordered. Nothing was rushed, but nothing was delayed either. I don't know how they kept up.

The food was FABULOUS as usual. The little bites with our aperitif were the flakiest puff pastry with tapenade. Then came a little glass of fresh gazpacho. Our starter the first night was a spectacular asparagus soup, with creme fresh and gambas. This was followed with a filet of beef with parsley butter and beautifully prepared vegetables. We ended with a lemon souffle and a "cherry Milkshake", which was a cold, frothy milk with cherries and then a dollop of cherry sorbet on the top.
A Crozes Hermitages wine was a reasonable 47 euros. The food was so memorable that we asked to come back the following Tuesday.

Our second night, we chose to eat on the terrace. On this night we chose a trilogy of foie gras and for the main course, a delicious lotte in a saffron sauce with the tiniest little fresh vegetables. An Emmanuelle Mellot Sancerre at 34 euro was a bargain. We ended with fresh berries of all kinds and a scoop of herb sorbet.

Even on a Tuesday night the restaurant was full and perfectly handled by the waiter How he handles all the food in a professional and friendly manner, I don't know.

I have to say this is now one of our favorite restaurants in the Loire. It is top notch cooking for a very reasonable price.

We'll be back in the Loire in October and we will definitely make a trip to the Grand Saint Benoit restaurant again.

Our compliments to the chef and the wait staff!!!

Reviewed 19 September 2014

I have a very fine lunch at this little village restaurant . The food was delicious and very well presented,the service was superb . Altogether a very positive experience