All reviews finnish sauna great diving safety stop dive resort fish sea grass beach bar other islands manado airport marine life other guests lunch and dinner hot shower three meals a day low tide spent nights north sulawesi
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I went to Living Colours purely to dive 3 - 9/3/2012, as 'backpackers' nearing the end of our travels we chose to sleep next door at Lorenso's from Lonely Planet a 15minute walk down the beach from Living Colours so I cannot comment on rooms/food.

For diving we asked around a few other dive shops for pricing guides but obviously as it is an island they all run at pretty much the same rate and exclude equipment rental. We chose LC as it is a nice resort, they itemize the equipment charges and we could have a fully coherent conversation re; our qualifications etc with Anneka who was very understanding and helpful.

The view from the restaurant really is brilliant in the sun, the resort has been set up well and runs efficiently. They have an internet point which works (!) and wifi available. The dive equipment was amazing, a lot of it was pretty much brand new, all clean and worked well for the whole time I was there. Also, compared to other dive resorts it was organised really well, once we had tried it all on all the codes were written on the whiteboard and before every dive our equipment was ready on the boat with no problems/hassle/mixed up items. Plus the guys take care of cleaning it all afterwards etc!!

We did 2 Fun Dives first with Alfian, a really nice local guide, who gave us a great introductory set of dives and found us a Pygmy Seahorse amongst many other cool critters. We did adventure dives and our Deep Dive Speciality with Ali, a great guy and a really sound instructor. He was patient when necessary, full of experience and funny annecdotes and made the skills etc really easy going stuff, despite some ripping currents. Plus he still had two clearly defined modes to keep PADI happy, all the paperwork was done thoroughly and officially and then the beers got popped. We had an awesome time. They have a sauna on site, we never got round to getting in but both Ali and Jako (The Owner) offered us the opportunity to take a cold Heineken in and relax. I also did an extra 2 fun dives after the course with Allo, another local guide, he was also really friendly and smiley. Had a brilliant dive with him and he found me the first Painted Frogfish I've ever seen, it was amazing, definitely choose a local guide if you are certified and want to see the best Bunaken has to offer.

Payment went through successfully with no hassle or hidden fees and we had a great last night on Bunaken with the Al, Jako and the staff. We exchanged numerous tales, laughed a lot, drunk even more and almost missed the boat off the island the next morning because of it! What a night, what a place. I strongly recommend choosing Living Colours for an enjoyable trip, regardless of diving ability or intentions, you will not regret it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2012

It is better late then never :) I was doing advanced PADI course with Living Colours. I have very good impression about this place and people who work there, My instructor was really helpful and informative, so I felt very comfortable underwater. Also I was invited to some evening party, where was some local band concert. I performed a couple of songs as well. Very very good impression about this Diving centre. Definitely will come back some day. Alex from Russia

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Absolutely most diver friendly as well as photo friendly location. Excellent food and cosy bungalows. Superb diving and nature.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2012

You really made it the best trip in a long time. The commitment from you all in big and small matters do make a great difference for us. And also the high level of safety on and off the island is so appreciated when travelling with a son, 14 years old, and of course the 100% engagement from all of. The newly build sauna made this a true experience and a place we really want to come back to. At least as long as Finland do not beat Sweden in another ice hockey final just a few weeks earlier.... but think it takes another 16 years..... Mia and Jaakko, you are great and making a fantastic job down there. And Divers, don't miss this place!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SwedishBengt
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I have been to numerous dive resorts in Caribbean and Asia and this place really steps up! Have returned 3 times here and still more to come. Everything here could be described with superlatives. Truly friendly staff, beautiful cottages with great view, top and well maintained diving equipment and professional dive masters/instructors (and above all, combined with world class dive sites), great bar with fun-loving house band playing, lounging sofas for videos, books or even xbox games if you wish. List just goes on and on...You will be smiling a lot while having a time of your life! But beware, you might easily gain some weight as food buffet (included in room prices) is unbelievably good. Price/quality ratio is well known so reserve your bungalow even months ahead. And yes, Living Colours have nowadays a finnish sauna with a view...
Even being a highly critical person I just can't find anything to complain.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple