“Good, straightforward food”

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Part Of A Farm Specialising In Organic Foods
Reviewed 15 August 2018

I ate here a few days ago. The menu is simple and focusses on doing a few things well (much better in my opinion than doing lots of things badly!). They also introduce a new menu every couple of months, depending on what is in season, which is an approach I like. They also cater well for meat eaters, vegetarians, vegans, coeliacs etc. I've had a burger and the soup here lately, and coffee and cakes fairly often, and it's all been good. Much improved since my last review a couple of years ago, and back to having the good atmosphere and good waiting staff of a while ago. Well done Whitmuir!

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank K9212JYbh

Reviewed 10 August 2018

I had a lovely peaceful stop for coffee & cake. The young waiters were pleasant & efficient. I bought some home grown tomatoes & broccoli which were delicious. In fact the best I have ever tasted. The tomatoes didn't make it home as my husband & I ate them on the way. The butcher meat is worth trying if you haven't already. We had their popes eye steak for dinner last night & I have some lamb for Sunday dinner. Very high quality meat.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank Bengal4
Reviewed 31 July 2018

I’ve been here a few times and to be honest instead of improving the opposite is true. The staff in the restaurant can be dismissive and disinterested - I ordered a simple scone today after I had been served coffee but there appeared to be more important things for the member of staff to do ie writing up the blackboard! I got my scone but only when it suited her to serve me. The scone in question was dry and crumbled so much I had to scoop it up in a spoon!! It’s not difficult to make a good scone. My friend asked for sausage in a roll - she left most of it as the roll tasted stale. This restaurant is expensive so this is very disappointing. Our two young grandsons wanted a simple biscuit - this wasnt possible so I had to buy some in the shop. Gluten free and tasteless am afraid.
Not a good experience and not conducive to us returning.

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank highlystrungles
Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

I came to whitmuir with my friend a few weeks ago and despite issues in the kitchen (a few other tables complained about food while we were there) we had a lovely lunch. Upon being told that the hot vegan option was unavailable we were disappointed and preparing to leave. However our waitress, who was vegan herself, suggested she ask the kitchen if they could make us a special meal and we enjoyed what was concocted very much! I hope to come back to whitmuir when things are running more smoothly and have the curry that was unavailable! Staff were lovely and we sat outside in the sun.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

£17.50 for a dreadful breakfast for 3. What’s happened to Whitmuir ?
It’s always been overpriced but at least the food used to be of a reasonable standard.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank No-Jars
HJDAnderson, Owner at Whitmuir the Organic Place, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

Dear Customer
The have had significant problems with agency staff over the last couple of weeks and I am afraid there has been unacceptable levels of inconsistency in both the range and the presentation of food. I am very sorry you have had this experience. Please send me not of your name and address and I can either send vouchers to refund you costs or repay the sum to your bank account.
Please accept my apologies. We are now finally stabilising a kitchen team and hope to be back up to full speed very soon.
Yours Heather Anderson. - please send details to accounts@whitmuir.scot